Stay at home moms...advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sushigrl211, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sushigrl211

sushigrl211 New Member

Is anyone a stay at home mom? I recently had to quit my job because the pain I was in was keeping me from doing it. Since I have no income I took my son out of day care and he is staying at home with me. I find that most days I push myself through the pain to run around after him and keep him entertained.

I am waiting for my short term disability to kick in so that I can maybe put him back in day care part time so that I can spend some time being quiet and taking care of myself. But right now I don't know what to do. I feel guilty when I turn the tv on and sit him infront of it so that I can lay on the couch, but when I push myself through the day and through the pain I get worn out and feel worse the next day.

Anyone have any advice. I feel kinda hopeless and lonely at home. We take short trips out to the Library and the grocery store, but it is always limited to how I feel. I feel like I am limiting my son and not being fair to him.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  2. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

sorry to hear of your loneliness at home, sushigirl (love the name!).

Does the library have storytime or craft activities? they are often free or very cheap.

Also check out moms and tots groups and family drop-ins -- the library reference desk should have info on local ones.

Check community listings in local papers and local websites too.

Places of worship sometimes have parent and child drop-ins as well. In many cases I think you don;t have to be a member of the congregation to go, but it is as well to check. (in my city a lot of the churches do "general social service" type activities and welcome everyone regardless of background).

Sometimes if you go to the local park or playground at the same time you begin to see "regular faces" and may be able to strike up a conversation with other moms.

I'm a stay at home/work at home mom too, my kids are older now but I've done most of the above in my time too.

And don't beat yourself up about the TV thing either, just make sure he's watching age-appropriate stuff and preferably something a bit educational too. You can get videos and DVDs from the library too and if your son is old enough to be responsible about handling them you don;t even have to get up to put the tape/DVD on for him if you're having a really rough day. Be kind to yourself.

I hope things improve for you soon. :)