Steady loss of strength or staying power.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dan0248, Jan 3, 2007.

1. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

This is hard for me to put in words but do any of you feel like you have lost your staying power, your muscle mass. I 56 years old and used to climb power poles for a living and it was nothing to climb 10 or 15 poles in a day, these poles ranged in height from 35 and 40 feet. Now there were days when we’d have to climb some transmission pole and they’d run around 65 to 80 feet. Hell to see me now trying to walk up a couple flights of stairs; it feels like I’m carrying a couple 100 pound sack of feed on my back. If I use my hands and arms for very long they will start to cramp up and I’ll have to stop and try to shake it off. I don’t smoke and I’m only about 30 pounds over weight but I get so winded these days. I’ve had a stress test, thing it could be something with my heart but that came back just fine. I’m losing my strength and it is starting to really worry me. Have any of you had anything like this.
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

That seems to go with this dd. My hubby and I both have it and both have this problem. Some days are much worse then others. We have feared losing the use of our legs in time.
  3. grace54

grace54 New Member

I used to be very strong, a builder, atheletic, weight lifter but after fibro even exercising I feel so much weaker. I can see the muscle mass shrinking and I notice turning a wrench on my car my muscles will be painful to touch the next day. Thats how I know my fibro is alive and kicking in case I forget.

I realise after 6 years of decondidtioning it will take some time to get back in shape and then Im not sure if the muscle sensitivity will vanish but I have to try as it scares me that I could be so weak after being in good shape all my life. So now I lift weights but not to hurt myself and I hope slowly to get back some strength. I suspect my arm wrestling days are over though:) Hang in there one day at a time.
  4. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

Hey let me know how it turns out for you. I push myself every day, I am going to get as much out of each day as I can. This DD just keeps taking more and more each day.
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am only 5ft. tall and a female. Not musclar, but I was always strong. Drs. used to comment on it.

Now it is hard to carry in a bag of groceries or take the trash cans out for trash pick up. Legs are like Jello and cramp and husrt.......arms.......everything.

I did water excercises at our Y at first. It really did help. I got away from it for a while and went back. I really was not benefiting this time around. I had a bad flare and now I am honestly too weak to go the pool anymore.
    I also started using a scooter for most stores. Got one of my own also. Never wanted to do that!

But I still feel blessed in many ways and count my blessings. Changing our life styles is hard. WAste of my life to dwell on negatives.

I would reccomend you check with your local Y and see if they have a arthritis swim class. Many with other problems than arthritis uses this program. Pool would be heated. It can make a difference.

I've had fibro/cfids for about 20 yrs.

Good Luck and many Blessings to you........Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]