Step daughter just diagnosed with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lil_angel1198, Jun 23, 2009.

1. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I am really upset about this...I was diagnosed 10 years ago. I know what it's like living with this and it kills me to know she is so young and will be living with this the rest of her life.

I sent her information and I sent it to her mom too... I just hope she uses some of it and can feel better. It sucks to be so young and have this terrible thing.

I just want to cry for's going to be such a battle for her.
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

angel....there are so many new treatments now and more on the way, perhaps she won't have to live with this forever.

my friend is doing very well on cymbalta, some people do well on lyrica and some recover on antiviral therapies.

best of luck
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

FM is just a set of symptoms given a name and then the Dr tells you there is no known cause.

Everything has a cause, you just have to find it.

It is very possible that she (and you) have a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection (lyme).

This discovery has happened to many people here, including me.

For 21 yrs I was told I had FM. I thought the cause was viral. I did the research and discovered my symptoms were caused by the lyme bacteria.

Here is some great info from a lyme expert.....

I urge you to properly explore this possibility. Many people think that their Dr has ruled out lyme as a cause of their symptoms because they had a "negative lyme test".

Lyme is never, never ruled out by just a negative test. It is a clinical diagnosis based on history and symptoms.

99% of Dr's know nothing about how to recognize, test for , diagnose or treat lyme...especially chronic lyme.

Igenex lab in CA ( is a reference lab specializing in tick-borne disease.
    It is the best place for lyme testing.

They are superior to run of the mill labs who do not even test for all bands.

If you'd like to have testing done, you could get a western blot IgG and IgM, test #188 and #189 through Igenex.

I can provide you with much more info if you'd like.

If I can help you or your step-daughter please leave a post for me on the Lyme board.

All the best to you both.

4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

have you checked out these 2 articles?
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm sorry that your stepdaughter has gotten this diagnosis. Hopefully though she's young and has many good years ahead of her and in her lifetime there will be some more research being done to help sort this whole "thing" out.

I've often said, even with my horrible pain and feeling of a robbed life, that I would take this anyday over someone that I love.

I would try to be supportive of her and truly give her hope with some coping skills. She's actually lucky that she has you!! Many people dont know anyone else personally who shares the same diagnosis.

I suspect I've had Fibro for over 25 years - I remember the first tests I had (of course all was normal), but didn't rec. a diagnosis. I had some really good years in there - had two babies, worked two jobs at a time some years fighting various symptoms along the way.

I swear, it's really weird, almost since diagnosis I've felt worse. Unexplainable to me as I think about this a lot. Maybe there was something to me just thinking this was the way I was, which is how I lived for 25 years. The diff now is that I am getting help and my Dr. fully understands my situation.

Cry for her, cry for you, cry for all who suffer from this - it's okay. But remember, she really is lucky to have you. Remind her of that. Maybe you can look at this as getting through the tough times together.