Stephen Buhner's Core Protocol

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by hugs4evry1, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    Someone else mentioned Mr Buhner's book "Healing Lyme" Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis and It's Coinfections in another thread and lo and behold, I checked and already had the book!

    His "Core Protocol" involves:

    Andrographis paniculata, standardized to 10% andrographolides. 400mg, 1-4 capsules or tablets 3-4x daily for 8-12 months.

    Japanese Knotweed (Resveratrol): 1-4 tablets 3-4x daily for 8-12 months. The standardized tablets (e.g. those manufactured by Source Naturals, which he recommends) contain 1/2 gram (500mg) of standardized Polygonum cuspidatum whole herb (Hu Zhang) and 10mg of resveratrol.

    Cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa): 500mg, 3-4 capsules 3-4x daily for 8-12 months.

    Herbs that can be added to the core protocol

    Astragalus, Dosage and use varies depending on stage of infection, after cat's claw

    Smilax (sarsaparilla): 425-500 mg, 1-4 capsules 3-4x daily for 8-12 months.

    The book also states to Please carefully read all dosage outlines, contraindications, and herb/drug interactions under each herb before applying this protocol.

    I probably should have checked to see if there was already a thread on this protocol, but didn't think of that until now.

    I've ordered hubby everything from this protocol to start taking and I can update this as we see how it goes.

    Has anyone else taken this protocol? Any luck? Suggestions?

    Nancy B.

    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2006]
  2. tansy

    tansy New Member

    of Stephen Buhner's book can be read on the Science Daily website.

    Thanks for outlining the core protocol Nancy. I'm not following this core protocol but some of his additional suggestions, for more specific problems, have helped.

    TC, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2006]
  3. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    I did try to search that site but I didn't find any information.

    At this point I'm hoping that there aren't any huge problems with this protocol.

    Our situation may be a bit different and I have no idea why they aren't treating my husband's symptoms at all, but they're not.

    All I know is he's sick, has been getting progressively sick for a year now and so far no one is doing anything to help him. And he did test pos for Lyme...

    We'll start slow when the vitamins get here and see how it goes...


    Nancy B.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2006]
  4. minimonkey

    minimonkey New Member

    I started doing this protocol before I found an LLMD -- once I got on the abx, I had to stop the Cat's Claw and Andrographis-- the herx from that and the abx combined was too much! Buhner's herb protocol does work for a lot of people.

    I'm still taking sarsparilla (great for muscle spasms), siberian ginseng, and japanese knotweed. I'm slowly adding in cat's claw again for its immune modulating properites.

    If you plan to do this protocol, I really suggest reading the book in its entirety -- Buhner really knows his stuff, and these herbs are potent.

    WORD OF WARNING -- he says *not* to use Astragalus for chronic neuro lyme -- (I think the reason was that it can lead to autoimmune problems, if I'm remembering that correctly. It has been a while since I read the book.)
  5. tansy

    tansy New Member

    I did a google search with “Stephen Buhner lyme science daily” and the link to the reviews I mentioned was there.

    I second the warning about astralagus; it was one of the many things I learned the hard way and occurred before Stephen Buhner’s book was published.

    Astralagus is not recommended for late stage lyme/borreliosis.

    TC, Tansy
  6. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    I had read those reviews of his book, I thought you meant a review of his Protocol itself...(confusing, but I'm running on a lack of sleep again)

    I didn't buy the Astragalus for my hubby since we know it's at least been a year since he started getting sick.

    I take it daily and I'm getting ready to pulse and take a few weeks off.

    His warnings were clear as MM has very careful with the Astragalus.


    Nancy B.
  7. cnash

    cnash New Member

    Where would you even go to buy these things to use for protocal?
  8. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    I live in Stuttgart Germany so I get many things online. I pretty much looked up the brands he recommended in the book and found them online.

    I still haven't started hubby on this's been a rough few weeks around here and he's leaving again this weekend for the states and I don't want him herxing on a business trip.

    I think I'll try to start him on it a week or so after he gets back from the trip.


    Nancy B.
  9. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    The first week I put hubby on just one of each supplement 3X a day. That week went very well.

    Second week I increased his dose to 2 each of the supplements 2X a day. That week went very well for him. He was even laughing and joking again. When he went to work he didn't look like he hadn't slept all night. Had a bit of 'pep in his step'.

    Third week I increased to 3 each 3X a day. Had some herx reactions, I was running out of the Resveratrol which is important in lessoning the herx symptoms. He really wasn't feeling well that week.

    So I decreased the dose to 2 each 3 X a day. He's on a business trip to the states this week and I wanted him to feel better. Very hard for him to do his job if he's under the weather and a lot of people were counting on him.

    Now....I'm pretty much screwed. I ordered 11 bottles each of the Sarsaparilla, Resveratrol, Andrographis and Cat's Claw 3 weeks ago from an online company (Vitacost if anyone is interested in avoiding them) and they still haven't sent the order.

    Today I asked for them to cancel the order. Now I can take my money and go someplace honest that really sells the product.

    I need to get these supplements quickly so he can continue with this Protocol that had begun to help him.

    Hugs all,

    Nancy B
  10. easydoesit

    easydoesit New Member

    I was on the CP maximum dose for approx. 11 months, along with high doses of abx (I was on abx for 18 continuous months). For me, the CP brought at least as much relief as abx. This past Spring I finished abx, and stopped the CP a few months later. I felt great all summer - unfortunately, I over did my gardening & work load - then came some unexpected stress, and I was again Lyme sick in Searly eptember. I immediately began the maximum dose of the CP and resumed abx. I'll finish the 2 months of abx next week, and plan to continue the CP until sometime next year. I haven't had any major negative reaction to taking the maximum dosage of the CP. I can feel a marked improvement when taking the CP. This time, I'm also doing something to prevent stress before it wreaks havoc on my body.
  11. easydoesit

    easydoesit New Member

    I just read this message regarding a bad experience with Vitacost. This is the best place I've found to buy CP herbs - Andrographis, Resveratrol, and Cat's Claw. They always ship my orders on a very timely basis - never back order any of the product I order. The CP maximum dose costs approximately $120 per month.
  12. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    They couldn't have been more horrible to me. I found another online company who shipped my order the next day with no backorders, no blank e-mails, no snotty replies....just good business.

    And I do shop online constantly and have for years.

    Glad to hear the CP is working for you, the doctors aren't doing anything for my hubby.


    Nancy B
  13. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    He seems to be doing really well on the Core Protocol.

    He just got back from the states on Saturday and he's doing really well this week. (No Jet Lag makes a huge difference)

    Since I ran out of a few of the CP products, I did order from another company and I've received them already.

    Next week we go back to 2 each, 3X daily. Then the next week we'll work up to 3each 3X daily and see how that goes.

    Although I have cancelled my order with Vitacost, they have charged my acct and said they have shipped the items, although it's been over 4 weeks since I ordered them.

    Hugs all,

    Nancy B
  14. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    In case anyone is still interested in this protocol.

    I had hubby worked up to 3 each of the CP and Sarsaparilla 3 times a day but each time we do this, he feels and looks terrible.

    Since he can't afford to be this ill at work, we've stepped back to 2 each, 3X a day of the CP + Sarsaparilla and he does just fine.

    He feels better and it shows. He's smiled, laughed, joked, done a little jig (dance) before work, sang X-mas songs badly and pretty much is doing so much better than before we started this. (But a bit back to the old normal)

    He's tired after work, but not butt dragging tired when he walks in the door. He no longer looks like death warmed over and it's wonderful to see him back again.

    We may even be able to find a few hours to make it to a Christmas Markt this year.

    At this point, I think we'll just leave it alone with what's working for him. His job is extremely stressful and he needs to be able to do a good job and especially now.

    Hugs all,

    Nancy B
  15. ANNXYZ

    ANNXYZ New Member

    and Please Keep us updated. I have read other positive posts on the protocol on lymenet .

    It sounds like it really helps a lot of people; many use it with ABX, and others rely totally on the herbs.

    Best of luck!
  16. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    Hubby is still doing very well on this CP and we plan to continue on with this.

    He takes the Resveratrol, Sarsaparilla, Andrographis and the Cat's Claw, 2 each 3 X a day.

    When he takes any more than this (we've tried 3 each 3X a day), he still gets extremely ill, you can easily see it in his eyes. He looks like he did before he began this protocol where every step he takes is a trial and just getting through the day is a more than he can handle.

    Now his eyes look clear, he's handling an extremely important and frustrating time at work that's been going on for months on end, he participates around the house, his mind is so much clearer and we even have a sex life back!!!

    He's back to being emotionally supportive and alert enough to be aware of what's going on in the house and he's helpful with the problems with our daughter now.

    For anyone who tests postive for Lyme but isn't getting any help from their doctors, I'd suggest researching something like this protocol.


    Nancy B
  17. ANNXYZ

    ANNXYZ New Member

    Wow !
    It is great to hear that SOMEONE can get better with this da- n disease ! I just ordered the Buhner book , and plan to try the protocol . Considering your husband has not been on the protocol that long , I am amazed he is feeling better - even a little. Usually you feel worse for at least a year on ABX. MUCH WORSE .

    Nancy, did your spouse have a lyme diagnosis? How long has he been ill?

    Please continue sharing with us!
  18. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    I'll try to cut this short but there's almost no way to do so without going over what's been going on in our house in the past 2 1/2 years.

    I've been bedridden/housebound with my FM since July of 04. In May of O5 my daughter checked herself into Landstuhl Regional Medical Center with psychiatric problems and was then sent to a hospital in the states for more treatment since Landstuhl can't handle much more than the troops.

    We had her an apartment ready for her to start college so we sent her on to Tampa for treatment and supposedly onto her college life.

    Although he played softball on his base team that spring as a pitcher and his team won, by May he was too tired to do much and we had to send our daughter with a friend of ours. So much going on in the house with all 3 of us. He was already looking very tired from being my caretaker but we thought that was normal)

    Our son even visited in June but hubby was just too tired to do anything.

    He then just got more and more tired. By July he was on a business trip to the states, she was hospitalized again and I was still bedridden.

    He flew back to the states in late August both times coming home sick, but I was more sick than I'd ever been in my life and his health came in second to mine. (I just didn't have any extra strength to help him at this point)

    The late August trip was supposed to be for one week but turned into 3 with a legal nightmare (he couldn't legally leave) my Mom went into the hospital and my family didn't tell me in time to stop his trip.

    Mom stayed for a disasterous 3 weeks and finally died but I was too sick to go back home to see her one more time. Needless to say, I still couldn't really pay attention to his health, my own was too difficult for me to handle although I was ok with how things happened with my Mom.

    I was completely bedridden, couldn't count backwards from 10, couldn't remember my phone number etc...very sick....

    But I took him to my doc on base and was basically his advocate. (He'd say, I'm fine....blah blah blah) So I convinced the doc how much he'd lost and how I was watching a perfectly healthy male who was active as my caretaker continue to go downhill.

    As a kid my husband remembered pulling ticks off and the docs basically then ignored the pos lyme test the last 20 years, we hadn't lived anywhere that you could possibly get a tick bite!!

    We spent a few years in Tampa, 3 years in Iceland, 3 in Hawaii, he spent 8 years in Bahrain then we moved here to Germany. Now where do YOU think he was bitten????? And he was completely healthy as a horse up until this past year too.

    He tested positive for both Lyme and EBV and the doc was very concerned but did nothing. (They follow the CDC version of Lyme here in the military although Germany has many cases of Lyme disease.) They did some neuro testing (more than they've ever done for me) but I guess it either showed up ok or again, nothing was done.

    We had put off everything that was happening to him up until this point to just the stress of everything going on in the house. (He also just loved my Mom so it was easy to think it could be a bit of depression and fatigue)

    Around Dec, I was put on Thyroid meds and began to take control over my own health (thanks Stormy) by eliminating processed food, aspertame etc...and had a few sparks of feeling just slightly better.

    Daughter finally came back home in March after 5 hospitalizations and I had no choice but to get better. I suddenly turned into the healthiest person in the house although every minute was a struggle.

    By April I quit smoking with a natural patch and decided to do something about his health with the money I was saving because by this time, we were looking into disability for him.

    I had enough brain power to realize they had a store here (I had completely forgotten) and started with the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid and he tried it too. We both felt a spark of energy from it, so we continued to try more supps.

    When this Lyme board came back I realized that I had bought the Stephen Buhner's book (thanks Victoria) and reread it to learn more.

    So many things got in the way of trying this protocol but at this point, I don't remember what they were. The supps were helping him somewhat to at least gain enough energy to go to work. And again, I was dealing with not only his health but my daugher's mental health as well. (not good to say the least)

    So I guess I can rest easy saying I've been doing the best that I can each and every day trying to be all things to all of us but I still struggle each day.

    This fall I guess I just had a spare minute and researched this protocol again and ordered the supps. We started slowly with one each 2 x's a day and continued on to where we are now.

    But he travels back and forth to the states a lot and jet lag was causing us to cut back on the protocol in the first 2 months or so.

    So this did work rather quickly for him! With no help whatsoever from the docs. No antibiotics, no nothing!!!!!!

    As we all know, we all were active members of society before we became ill. He was a go getter, funny guy, always taking care of me and everything with a smile on his face. The difference was astounding to see him walk out the door to go to work looking like he hadn't slept in 36 hours.

    And now he's looking wonderful by comparrison. He worked late until almost 8:00 last night but his eyes were still sharp when he got home. He still had brain power to talk, smile and cuddle. It's like this Protocol has given me my husband back.

    I'll stop now, but rest assured...he was a very ill man and he's doing so much better now.


    Nancy B
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2006]
  19. ANNXYZ

    ANNXYZ New Member

    I JUST hope YOU can get better. Are you on the protocol?
    Lyme has been known to be even sexually transmitted , or transmitted via flies or mosquitoes . Houston , Texas has lots of lyme patients , even though it isnot forested .

    I have found lymenet a helpful site with a wealth of info .
    People there can also private message one another .

    At the lyme net site , I am reading a lot of posts from
    people who have had REAL help from using rife machines, which transmit a current that can kill pathogens. It sounds kooky , but the fact that the science is VALID and there are so many people who think it helps ( many who did not get better with ABX) is VERY compelling .

    If you go to lymenet , you can look under " medical questions" and find posts on rife and the feedback .
    Perhaps the Buhner book discusses this.

    There are also posts about rife and results under " general support " .

    It might be worth checking out , as the " treatments " last about thirty minutes a few times a week and can be done at home.

    Are you getting help for your health ? The rife or herbs might even help you .
  20. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    I haven't tested positive for Lyme although I'm the one doing the yard work when I can around here and it's possible that I could have it too.

    I'm not really getting any help with my health, that's why I put hubby on this protocol and why I'm taking so many supplements that have helped me.

    Honestly, I just haven't had time to do much work on Lyme net at this point. With everyone counting on me, every day is like a struggle and I can only do so much.

    For now, we're pretty happy with how hubby's doing and since I'm steadily improving with my new better eating habits and supps, we're just taking it a day at a time.

    And I hadn't heard of a rife.....thanks for mentioning it.


    Nancy B