Stephen Colbert On "Larry Kind Live"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Larry King is interviewing Stephen Colbert Thurs. night. That is, unless there is a breaking story. When that happens, Larry King always pre-empts the interesting interview for coverage of what every other cable show is covering. He pre-empted Joy Behar of "The View" but I did get to watch it last Sun. night. I've set the TiVo to record all his shows and I can erase the ones I don't want to see.

I've only seen Stephen Colbert in one interview where he isn't totally in his ignorant, arrogant persona. He seems like a really nice guy and sooooooooo cute! Oh, to be 30 years younger...

Love, Mikie
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I really like his show. Last night he said he had a radio show and it was called "Cobert on Ert".

I saw him on something, I'm thinking 60 minutes, a year or so ago and really enjoyed the interview. He is smart and witty and, of course, he's not hard to look at!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

short clip on one of those humor sites. Colbert was singing and dancing.

Of course he's not very good at either, but that's not necessary. As Dave Barry says, When you're someplace and there's dancing going on, just get up and dance.

Rock
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Comedy Central plays them throughout the day the following day, but I try to stay awake and watch. I take my Klonopin so that by the time the guest is on, I usually am asleep. A bad habit to get into.

Last night, Colbert had himself as his guest plugging his new book. I did see that Colbert on Ert. The humor is the whole gamut of satire, puns, plitical tomfoolery, silliness, and highly intelligent humor. It's never boring. Just what a woman with ADD needs :)

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If I TiVo the shows, I can watch them at my leisure. If TiVo were a man, I'd marry him and have his children.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Y'all have been having fun watching it the past hour, while my husband and son are watching boxing hehe!

Yep, I know, I need to get Tivo... just have this feeling the memory would be overloaded with stuff I'd never get around to watching tho.

Let me know if it was a good interview and worth trying to catch on a re-run...

thanks!

Victoria

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm laughing at my Freudian type in the original post's title. Larry King is known to be "kind" with his questions in interviews.

I have the strangest feeling that Stephen Colbert is not comfortable just being himself 100 percent of the time when he's not doing the show. He may be at home but in the interview, he kept slipping into his TV persona. Perhaps he always tries to entertain and that's where he is most comfortable. He may feel that the real Stephen isn't funny or interesting enough. It was a little disturbing trying to figure out which Stephen he was at any given moment.

My ex hung out with Buddy Hacket for a couple of days when he was in town to do a commercial for the company. Gary said he was like that--almost always "on." Through the family show biz connection, my kids have been at parties and weddings with Mel Brooks and they say he is like that too. They sat across from him at a wedding and said he was making bunny ears with the napkins. Nothing wrong with it but it makes one wonder whether comedians are comfortable with themselves or even know who they are. I do love Mel Brooks.

Love, Mikie
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I didn't even notice your "Kind" word towards Mr. King!

I missed the show because I actually felt good enough to go to my Red Hat Club last night. First time in several months! Yeah me!

I agree about the comedians having trouble being "themselves". I just can't believe that they are like that all the time. I think it is an insecurity thing. I know when I am insecure, which is a lot, I have a tendancy to start making jokes and seeing the funny side of everything.

The exception may be George Carlin. He used to come into the bar where I worked in California to have a steak dinner (he said it was the second best steak in town and he was still looking for the best one!). He was always very quiet. Sat at the bar, had one beer and his dinner, and left a good tip. I think he appreciated not being noticed. Never heard him crack a joke except for the steak comment.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  9. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

between Colbert and Anderson Cooper. Whassup with that?

:)Khaly
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That, like me, others aren't sure when he's being "normal" and when he's ready to make fun of people. I doubt that they want to give him fodder for his grist mill of satire to be used against them. Of course, most people will laugh at themselves; many enjoy being impersonated on SNL. I just think they don't know how far Colbert will go and perhaps, his humor isn't funny to them or they don't "get it." I'm not too sure I would put myself out there for him if I were famous. Who knows how he'll use things. I'm always amazed that politicians go on his show. He can edit the interviews to make them look like asses. A lot of people think the show is live but it isn't and a lot of those interviews are not in the studio but taped ahead.

Greenbean, I love George Carlin. My ex and I saw him live years ago and we laughed til we were sick and had tears streaming down our cheeks, he was so funny. We had first row seats. It's nice to know he is more "normal."

One of the things I loved when my kids worked in movies were the stories of who was nice and who wasn't. I loved it that Shirley McLaine, Bill Cosby, Farrah Fawcett, Chevy Chase, and Roseanne Barr were all so much fun to work with and they helped the up and coming actors and even the extras. My daughter described them as just plain nice, with no star complexes.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was obviously kidding. I would have to be about 30 years younger to be in the right age range. The guy is married and has kids. My daughter thinks he's hot too as do a lot of people. He is consistently voted as one of the sexiest men in polls and magazine voting.

Yes, Anderson Cooper is a cutie too. Brian Williams isn't too hard on the eyes either.

I haven't dated since I got sick but I sowed a lot of wild oats after my divorce, so I don't feel I missed anything. I actually love my single life. It's easier in many respects except that there is just me to support myself.

Speaking of which--I just met with my vocational counselor and he is putting the finishing touches on my new resume and says he will be sending it out to "hundreds" of places. He expects it to get a lot of action. From his mouth to God's ear! I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Love, Mikie
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

ELAINE - I AM SHOCKED! Does Axl know about you and Mr. Dreamy?

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm rooting for you too. In this economy, it's really tough to find a part-time job which we can do. Heck, if I could be on my feet for hours, I'd go down to the supermarket and sack groceries like all the other old people do down here. They have a really good time but don't make much money. They can wear shorts and a golf shirt which is provided by the store. I think I'll check with Toyota too. They hire people to drive the cars in for service and deliver them outside when they are done. They also hire shuttle drivers. The woman doing that really enjoyed it. Again, not much money but then, until I'm on regular SS, I can't make much.

I'll let you know how working with the new counselor goes. So far, he seems overworked and a bit disorganized.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think the counselor flew the coop. No one has seen him since Mon. His voice mailbox is full. I stopped at the office on my way to Toyota and left a message. I hope he doesn't have a family emergency; that's the only thing I can think of which would cause him to act so flaky. The more I deal with him, the more I suspect it's innate flakiness. The resume he did for me stank and had errors. The one I did was much better. I'm starting to think I'm really on my own and can't count on getting help from anyone.

Next week, I'm going out to the employment office which, BTW, none of the counselors told me about. The lady at Goodwill Industries, who did my evals, mentioned it. She said she can't understand why the voc. rehab counselors never tell people about it.

You and I have viable skills and will eventually find something. I keep thinking about those poor souls who have no interpersonal skills and very few work skills. How do they manage, especially if they have disabilities?

You're in my prayers, Kiddo. I hope you and I both find something really good soon.

Love, Mikie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As always, I'm pulling for you. Whatever happened to the old job share where two people do one job. Each either works 2 1/2 days a week or three days one week and two the next. When one goes on vacation, the other works full time that week. Perhaps you could persuade an employer to find another person to share the job with you.

I am not going to stress too much about all this but honestly, McDonald's is looking good to me :)

Love, Mikie