Stephiebee...questions about the lapband surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by halo52208, Aug 4, 2006.

1. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

Is there a website I can find more out about this procedure?

Also my insurance doesn't cover the bypass one where they take out most of the stomach. But with this not taking anything out, I wonder if insurance would cover it?

I know I would have to ask my insurance company but I was just curious if it's considered the same thing.

Thanks, Halo
  2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Here's a bump
  3. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

4. JLH

JLH New Member

if your insurance does not cover the gastric bypass, chances are they won't cover the lap band procedure either. Both are considered weight loss surgeries.

Check with your ins. co. and see if they will cover either of them IF your doctors write a "letter of medical necessity" for it. Sometimes, a company will make an exception if it will improve major aspects of your health.

Google lap band surgery, weight loss surgeries, lapband message boards, etc. -- I'm sure you will find many websites out there.
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

With the gastric bypass they do not take any part of your stomach out. They bypass part of your stomach and intestines by creating a pouch with a staple line and that becomes your new stomach and they attach your intestines up to your new pouch.

With the Duodonal Switch they actually remove 75% of your stomach. Im not sure if you have the 2 mixed up. The DS is a far more complicated procedure and there arent many doctors or insurace companies wiling to perform it.

As someone else noted, if your insurance company will not cover they bypass they will most likely not cover the lapband either. Alot of insurace companies consider it "investiagtional" even though it isnt. They just say that because it hasnt been being performed in the US for as many years as the bypass. It has, however been performed in places such as Europe, Austrailia and Mexico for well over a decade.

IF you get insurance through an employer, possibly yours or your significant others, but you can check with HR to see if there is a weight loss surgery clause. They should know.

From knowledge, I know that you can appeal a denial by your insurance company. Many insurance companies have been known to deny on the first time automatically.

You can go on a site called obesityhelp "dot" com. There are messageboards and you can look for a doctor in your area. They will also list insurance companies that have been known to cover the procedures.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if youd like!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  6. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

Halo