STEROIDS: Anyone using successfully?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by California31, Nov 10, 2006.

1. California31

California31 New Member

Never have taken oral prednisone, but I'm in what seems a major flare-up in upper arms, shoulders....so MD prescribed very low-dose....three-week protocol...For the past, nearly four years...I've only worked with alternative practices...and have been fine....up till about three months ago.....Bottom line....has anyone taken prednisone, and gotten sustained relief....(after much ado...was given a flexeril script...which has taken the edge off the severe pain....) and am a bit reluctant to start the prednisone. Thanks...for any feedback.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/10/2006]
  2. padre

padre New Member

We share a State as well as the state you are in. Yes, I was on high doses of prednisone for another condition and my allergies and much of my fibro pain went away. But it was a high dose tapered over 25 months. High doses do other things to you which acually make my fibro seem less important. Three weeks is not much. I would try it. You really have nothing to lose except sleep. Prednisone will wire you. As for the long term, I have been off prednisone for a year and my fibro is back.
  3. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

Short doses of prednasone have been wonderful. Not curative at all but it helped my symptoms and eliminated fog. I also get effects from multiple spinal blocks.
  4. California31

California31 New Member

I appreciate hearing from you....will weigh this carefully. Just found this site yesterday..and am happy to be in touch with people focused on getting well. ...Having been physically symptom free for years....this onset was a real surprise. (Have to add...that I have lived with the FOG condition virtually continuously....ranging from tolerable...to massive confusion.) Again...I'm grateful to get feedback.
  5. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

Prolonged - short - short blasts on the ships whistle

Are the fog signals for underway making way in the fog.
    I just left a lengthy fog rant on the Serous Brain Fog thread.
  6. Over the past 2.5yrs I've become the high-dose steroid taper queeen...LOL Both, decadron, & Prednisone. Mostly decadron, only 2-3 prednisone tapers.

I first had a "love-hate" relationship with them.

About 6-7wks ago though, my doc put me on a *30* day high dose taper.....now i just HATEEE THEM!!!

If you're "lucky" enough to get 2 or 3, or even more* days of "steroid mania" you will feel awesome, be energetic, etc...

For me, at most, on a 12 day taper, I would get about 3 days of that, my lower back always hurt regardless, and I was usually given Lortab 10, or Norco, for the tapers too..

As I tapered down, the last 3-4 days, and a few days after,--I would hurt sooo bad! Every inch* of my skin *burned* like fire, glands swelled, (fake) sore throat, so-to-speak...etc..

So, they can be helpful, but, kind of a double-edged sword...a lot of doctors, will offer something for reflux also while on steroids, you can get pretty nasty reflux on them..

Some people have *no* mood changes even on I.V. steroids, some people can get psychosis, from small amounts. My aunt & my grandpa cant/could not take them AT ALL now, oddly my aunt *can* tolerate Medrol packs, but she CANNOT have a *touch* of Prednisone, she gets complete psychosis/confusion/aggression from ****. My grandpa (her father) was the same way "meaner than a snake" my mom said, you could look in his *eyes* and know he'd been put on it. The doctors finally stopped giving it to him altogether.

I hope you do get relief.

I do believe my hips are somewhat damaged from all the steroids I've had over 2.5+ yrs now.

Steroids over a long time, can cause necrosis, particularly of the hip & shoulders.

My friend with MS who is 43 has had surgeries on both shoulders & hips....but, she had MS back when the ONLY treatment was IV & oral steroids. And she relapsed often. She has very very brittle bones, and in one year broke THREE bones!

She may have some sort of genetic predisposition, to fragile bones as well, though. She's had MS for over 25 yrs.

Like I said, double edged sword, but, short term & low dose, should be ok, just be sure to read all the precautions, side effects, interactions, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Laura
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have taken prednisone three seperate times with good luck. I only take it for a week and the most recent time was 3 weeks ago. I feel so much better. I was having severe neck and shoulder pain. For me, it really settles my Fm down. I am feeling fairly good and getting quite a lot done.

Good luck with it,
    Sandy
  8. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

I just got my first shot of this on Thursday and I must

say I feel the best I have in months! I am not totally

pain free but it is down to a much more bearable level

than I have been living with for a while. I don't feel

like I need to seriously think about quitting my job now.

He said if it worked well he'd let me have it a couple

times a year and when I see him next month I'm going to

tell him to sign me up!