STEVIA.... do you use it? do you like it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Nov 10, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

ok, I'm about ready to give up the Splenda sweetner. sigh. about the only place I really use it is my tea, but I have to wonder if it is contributing to the achiness I feel about two hours after I wake up, after breakfast and tea.

I've tried Stevia before, didn't like the aftertaste. Is there more than one kind of Stevia? any hints and tips in using it?

thanks,
    beth.
  2. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

i have an instant green tea with stevia and i love it (but only as cold tea, don't like it as hottea).

I love it, but as far as I know, it's better in cold drinks than anything else.

3. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Where do you buy it? Can you get it at a regular grocery store or something more similar to Whole Foods?
  4. lilbird

lilbird New Member

about 2 weeks ago. I love it. I have not given up on splenda or equal all together because I love pepsi. But I'm working on it. The only thing I don't like about it, is it doesn;t melt as well as equal in cold things like ice tea and cereal. But all in all I would say go for it, two thumbs up.

Cathy
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I gave it up about a week ago, and whatever it is I'm doing, I feel more than 50 percent better.

Okay, so I've changed up a lot of things right now; so it may not be just the Splenda, but I ate a ton of it, and I cut it out of my life completely. Even my vision improved. The change is definitely gradual, not all at once. I'm getting better slowly. Don't know if this will work for everyone or not. The achiness is soooo much less.

I tried the Xylitol with Stevia that I got in packets from Whole Foods, and I only use about one or two at the most a day. Seems to taste pretty good to me. Pure Stevia is pretty strong for my taste; so maybe just use a little. As time has been going on, I need less and less of the sweet taste to make me happy.

Interestingly, I think I'm leaning out since I stopped eating the Splenda as well. That in and of itself is really sad, don't ya think? To think that Splenda was making me sick and fat is just -- just wrong.

You will be surprised at how quickly the sweet cravings start to go away and how much better you feel. It is amazing! Give it a go; you've got nothing to lose. It's always there if you absolutely have to have it, but I've got a feeling you won't want it back now that you know what it does.

Bebe
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

BethM .. stevia is in my "GreensPlus Energy " and I don't mind it at all .. it may have a different taste when it is heated though .. I haven't tried a hot drink with it .. my drink is supposed to taste a little like a cappachino ? spelling is off I'm sure .. as long as I don't look at the green colour it does taste like coffee .. heaven knows it makes me feel loads better so green looking or not it is a winner for me !
    Good Luck
    Fudge : )
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

for the support and the suggestions. I think I'll try the xylitol and stevia mix, if I can find it. Heck, if something as simple as giving up Splenda will help me feel better, why not do it???

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

You might also try raw honey (get it at the health food store) as a sweetener; granted it is not 0 calories but it is healthy and doesn't seem to be hard on my body.

I cannot handle sugar at all; it's like ingesting poison, and am coming to believe that the splenda is about the same

Bet2
  9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I buy it at GNC and I get it inb little packets like splenda or sweet and low. These are easy to take with me. I use it alot to mix with plain yogurt and a strawberry or to make lemonade. I also use it on a baked apple. I don't taste an aftertaste at all. Good Luck! Lynn

Honey would be great too but if you are doing the Candida diet it is not allowed. L
  10. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I have been using it for a few weeks now and I really like it, since quitting the splenda and other artificial sweetners the pain is not so bad anymore and I have more energy.
  11. heatherelliott4

heatherelliott4 New Member

I have been using it for about a year. I buy it a GNC in the little packets. I use it in my coffee and hot or cold tea. I had talked to a nurse and she told me to cut out sugar and caffeine and dark drinks meaning pop and coffee and tea, which I kind of have. I drink decaf tea, and if I want the fizz from a soda I get sprite, although, I have been slipping lately cause I have been so tired and drinking my caffeine coffee to get me going in the morning! And a diet coke here and there. But when I do it right I do feel a big difference in the way I feel. I can also tell when I haven't taken my vitamins, I ran out a few days ago and have just been wiped out I bought some more and now my energy level is back up. I am thinking about buying a stevia plant next spring. Right now I am spening $10.00 a month on it a GNC it would be nice to just go get it out of the yard. I'll let ya know how that goes!
  12. sami

sami New Member

just use a little bit of it or else it can be bitter...bought xylitol yesterday but have not tried it yet...i am FEELING so much BETTER though...i have cut out totally white sugar,white flour,fake sweeteners, coffee, alcohol...i am being fairly strtict with myself..i want to feel better!!!!!!!i just made a CARB-SOLUTION shake for my breakfast...i added in lactaid milk, frozen blueberries and a dash of liquiod flax seed oil....DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!
    20 GRAMS OF PRTEIN AND ONLY 3G OF CARBS.....i have 10 lbs i want to drop(going on a cruise in feb. i can't believe i can even do this!) and i am following the hypoglycemic diet lifestyle...i did start the guifenisen program 2 days ago and take lyrica 150/ambien/and tylenol pm and i sleep like a baby...i am not sure what is helping me but i am clearer and more energtic...still have my pain in areas but i am trying to stretch it away or deal with it.....my problem has always been i jump around too much and i am just going to stay ion this for 1-2 months before i change anything...there is no magic bullet in my mind and it took us a long time to get sick, so why wouldn't it take time to feel better!!!!!!! health to all....i can't believe i am this up, so to speak.....
  13. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

What is interesting is that a month ago I was at a local farmer's market and they were selling Stevia plants. I bought a small one just for the heck of it. The leaves are very sweet.
  14. BethM

BethM New Member

very sweet of all of you to reply! (heh, heh) It will be interesting to see if the little bit of Splenda I was using was hurting me. No more for me for awhile, anyway.

Happy Friday!

Beth.
  15. sofy

sofy New Member

only the green ground up leaves. Its like powder. I tried the white processed stuff and couldnt abide it. I also wonder just what they do to it to get it white etc.

The less they mess with what you eat the better.
  16. BethM

BethM New Member

do the fresh leaves taste different than the processed powder? How is it different? I had thought of buying a plant after I move next month.

Beth.
  17. sofy

sofy New Member

sorry I didnt see your ??? sooner. I dont buy fresh leaves. I buy ground dry powder. Its just dried leaves ground into powder. The color is green.

Never tried fresh leaves so cant tell you about the taste.

I do know I didnt like the taste of the white powder stevia. It seemed much more concentrated and one or two grains could make it too much or too little.

Hope this helps
  18. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I use stevia, and I have come across 3 types - so there may be more.

first choice - leaves: I have a small plant that I pluck the leaves from and use fresh. It is a little difficult to be sure of the dose as the strength of the sweetness varies

second choice - powder: ok, but it is easy to use too much. I don't cook with it so I don't know what happens when you do bake with it

third choice - liquid drops: I did not like them at all.
  19. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I use stevia daily. I sprinkle it on half thawed strawberries a lot as a nice treat, or breakfast. I also use it in coffee on the rare ocassion I drink it. It's good in tea and sometimes I sprinkle it on food that I"m cooking if I think it would be nice with a little sweet flavor.

I would recommend sprinkling it on anything you think you might like it on. YOu never know till you try. Just use it in great moderation till you know how much you like on each item. I actually try to keep it in my purse, just in case. It's a life saver to me.

I wnat to cut chocolate and everything out this week so I'm planning on relying on stevia alone. Wish me luck :)
  20. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I can not tolerate sugar or any artificial sweeteners, but I can handle stevia.

I use the powder, in packets. The box says one packet is equal to 2tsp. of sugar, but I find it much sweeter than that.

If you get Sweetleaf stevia, it has FOS, which helps your digestive system (the good bacteria in one's gut like to feed off it).

I don't like the taste much, but in certain foods it works quite well... you just have to be careful not to use too much. I love it in my homemade lemonade.