Stew Recipes???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justlooking, Jan 5, 2010.

1. justlooking

justlooking New Member

As I was reading another post someone mentioned Carrot Stew. It sounded so good. It is the time of year where Stew is perfect! Anyone care to share their favorite Stew recipes?
    Crock Pot, Dutch Oven or Stove top, please share them!

I would also LOVE the Carrot Stew one to be on this thread.

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

This is a great idea. It is really cold here, where it usually do not get to cold, her in TX. I bought some stew meat a couple of weeks ago and put it in the freeer. So, I would love a recipe for some stew. I used to , many mons ago when my kids were young, make stew in the crockpot.

There was a sauce, red from a can and I cannot remember the name of it and it may not even exist any longer. I have gone up and down the aisles at the grocery store and cannot find anything that looks like it. I just used to put it in the crock pot over the meat, and all kinds of veggies; carrots, onions, potatoes, sometimes canned mushrooms, and maybe green beans and celery.

Of course to there would be some adding of seasoning, garlic, pepper, bayleaf, and salt if you like and can eat alot of it, and I forget what else.

I then just let it cook and then might also thicken the mixture with some water and flour towards the end. If I had some Kitchen Bouquet I would add that too to give it a darker color at the end. That is not much of a recipe and I can not remember the name of thatg stuff in the can so I need another recipe.

Oh, I think I also made it in the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and a package of Onion soup mix.

It always came out pretty good and my kids all ate it so it must have been OK :) !!

I too would love some other recipes.

Thanks !

Love to all,
  3. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Sausage and Pepper Stew
    1-2 TBSP oil
    1 yellow onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 green bell pepper diced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    1 yellow bell pepper diced
    1 1/2 lbs assorted sausages (bratwurst, smoked sausage, kielbasa, hot links, etc) cut in small pieces
    1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomates (diced or crushed)
    1 can chicken broth (small one = 2 cups)
    1 can white beans rinsed
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp salt
    ground pepper

warm oil in large pot or dutch oven, add vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes. remove vegatables and brown sausages. return vegatables to pot and add all remaining ingredients. cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
    I usually only use kielbasa and I use flour to thicken the stew after it is done cooking.
    My kids and husband LOVE this recipe. It is SO easy to make and you can double the recipe for the perfect leftover!
    I have also used hot links in the past and it made the stew spicy and even more flavorful. I also add a little more basil than the recipe calls for and add a pinch of oregano. You can also add zucchini the stew, if you like zucchini. Or omit the white beans, which is something I added to the recipe, because it made the stew a little more hearty.

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2010]
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

That recipe sounds really yummy esp. since we like everything that is in that "stew'. However, we like almost anything anyway including sausage, beans and peppers. However, I just got back from the store and can you believe alot of the stew veggies were gone or almost gone. Guess people are stocking up for the blast. They were almost out of carrots that I grabbed.

I guess I will have to wait until I go again to get the green and red peppers and the beans too. Will make meatloaf probably tomorrow night since I will be gone part of the day. Friday I may make beef stew. Gee, why am I getting hungry just talking about it :) ??

Bye for now.

5. victoria

victoria New Member

what recipe? I feel bad, I don't have any real guidance to give you actually as it was made up as my DH went along... and he doesn't remember.

He just threw whatever into the crockpot, it depends on what we happen to have usually.

That day we happened to have a lot of carrots.

However I do know that there were the 'usual', just in lesser quantities: potatoes (maybe both white & sweet), onions , maybe italian mixed herbs, garlic, & just a bit of ground beef or filet (down here in MX we can get filet very cheaply, tho it in no way resembles what you would expect of filet in the US! - altho it is tender).

editing to add: I typed 'carrot stew' in google, came up with this site,1-0,carrot_stew,FF.html
    had a variety of stews based on carrots - they all sounded good to me!

I think parsnips would be good too, wish I could find them here. I'd try to grow them here, except we have gophers!

6. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I like to start with frying the stew meat first ( often from a cut up roast) with a little bit of oil and Montreal meat spice.

Water and Potatoes next.

then add a can (or two) of tomatoes, and some fresh tomatoes.

Then add garlic, celery, carrots, misc. herbs. One half now, and one half later so that some of veggies are crispier than first ones added.

Then get larger pot because it won't all fit in the first pot.

Taste, and adjust until perfect.

Usually lasts several days (may taste better the second day after making). Later, often I'll add more meat or potatoes if my appetite results in a deficiency in such ingredients.R>

buttered sour dough bread often goes well with stew.

May freeze some, though usually all gone before I get tired of stew.

7. sues1

sues1 New Member

Years ago I stopped at my Aunt and Uncle's house where I was invited to have some stew. It was the best I ever ate at that time and I asked what was in it. They laughed and told me anything and everything as Uncle had cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer. He loved to cook and was good at it. There was even frozen french fries in it, broken in half. I remembered Hobo Stew that we made in Girl scouts and understood that concept even better then.

I had only been married a couple of yrs. I started saving every scrap of food, meats, bones, (I would cut meat from the bones before I served it, did not go onto plates),veggies, broths, gravies, noodles , rice and so forth. I froze much of it. Even if I fried meat and was not making gravy, I would put a little water in the pan to deglaze it and keep this "broth".

Every couple of weeks I would gather all and I would start it by making the base of the stew. If the base was good, everything else would taste wonderful in it. I would cook bones (Most had already been cooked) but would boil them for flavor from them. I would add onions, celery, spices, sometimes I would add a half of can or a whole one, of tomatoes. If I did not have tomatoes I would add a little catsup. Taste it as you go to know what adjustments to make. I would add meats, beef, pork, sausage, chicken, meat loaf...whatever I had and depending on veggies I had saved, I might add some fresh veggies. sometimes more onions and celery, carrots, potatoes, fresh green beans , little cabbage,(etc.). When it was about done I would add the already cooked veggies, (cut veggies if too big), noodles (etc.) I did not want them over cooked. Sometimes a fresh can of some kind of veggie also. Just use imagination and take your time and taste as you go.......But use what is at hand.

My children LOVED IT. They gave their favorite dish a name "Garbage Goulash". Anyone that tried it loved it. It was like getting a free meal by using scraps of leftovers, which I strived to feed them well on little money at times.

Try it, what do you have to lose, outside of a bunch of leftovers and your time?

I hope some try this and likes it. My children are grown and they still think this was the best ever. Happy cooking......Blessings Susan