Sticky blood question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dancingstar, Feb 10, 2006.

1. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Has anyone with slow or sticky blood tried taking aspirin? I've done this as an experiment a couple of times, and it seems to help me with pain and fatigue, at least I think it does.

Like this morning, I could hardly get going cause I hurt and was toooo tired. I decided to try taking two plain, old, ordinary aspirin, and my energy came back. This could, of course, be coincidence; but I was wondering if the blood thinning aspect of aspirin could be helpful to those of us with the thick, sticky blood issue.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks,
    Bebe
  2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Aspirin does contain caffeine, so that may be the cause energy you feel. I don't think a few asprinin would hurt anything and if they help you feel better, then Great!
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

...is great that aspirin is helping you. I would discuss the amount with your physician. Taking too much can raise blood pressure and cause tummy problems. I think aspirin is one of the best pain medications. I can't take it because it is too hard on my stomach...even the coated ones...sigh.

After researching I can not find any information confirming that aspirin contains caffeine (I have never heard that), of course there are aspirin/caffeine combinations.

Acetylsalicylic acid...aka..aspirin.

It is used as a pain reliever, to reduce fever, and as an anti-inflammatory.

Acetylsalicylic acid breaks down into salicylic acid 20 minutes after entering the bloodstream. It is the salicylic acid that is responsible for the beneficial effects of aspirin. Salicylic acid itself it too caustic to be taken orally. Acetylsalicylic acid/Aspirin has anti-clotting effect in the blood. Salicylic acid reduces inflammation and fever.

4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have wondered the same thing. When I take aspirin, I do feel better but it gets hard on the stomach taking it long term.. I had a problem with acid reflex and a hiatal hernia.

I remember one rheumy I went to when I had a really high sed rate(it was about 80). He told me to take 3 aspirin every 4 hours. It really took the inflamation down. The next time I talk to my FFC doctor, I`m going to ask him about aspirin.

Sandy
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

does not contain caffeine.

Extra Strength aspirin (Excedrin and generic equivilents) contain aspirin PLUS caffeine.
  6. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I only take two in the morning, if I even remember to take them...and I've taken two in the late afternoon, always after eating.

I've heard that it's a blood thinner as well, which is why I was wondering if it could work to make blood that is too sticky move more quickly.