Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Jun 19, 2010.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am in sty hell rt now.....both eyes have tons of the darn things......though that may seem OT, I think that it is completely related to ME/CFS, becasue for me at least, sties seem to pop up when I also have swollen painful glands, sore throats, and other things that are both a sign of infection and an indicator of a flare

have never had them quite to this extent before, though, and they HURT!

wondering if anyone else has experienced these in relation to ME/CFS flares.....and looking for any new ways to treat them (have already tried warm tea bags, antibiotic ointment, and colloidal silver)
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sties are very painful. I get them with some flareups but not always. I hope you feel better soon. I take a little piece of paper and scrap off the head and then it goes aways pretty quickly. This is something my grandmother taught me. I'm sure it's probably not the best thing to do but it seem to help be. Good luck.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

The last one I had, I was in HS and it took 2 weeks to go away. It was awful. I wouldn't go to school, it was that bad; I had so much tearing from it.

Apparently, there is a Polysporin Opthalmic ointment you can get, that might help since it is a bacterial infection. It's talked about after the discussion about pink eye at:

Hope that might be of help if it doesn't go away in the next few days...

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thank you both for your responses.....gotta say I find the paper idea a bit scary since I have poor fine motor skills and a lot of shaking these days - I'd probably wind up with a paper cut on my eye on top of the sties! (still, I do appreciate that you took the time to respond and try to offer a suggestion)

the ointment sounds more like something I could try....will have to see where I can get some (& that one you had in HS sounds like a's nuts how much these relatively small things can hurt, but they sure do)
  5. amomwithsickkids

amomwithsickkids New Member

Sorry you are dealing with is painful! Have you tried wetting a wash cloth with very hot water, wringing it out and placing it on your eye? Lay down and leave it on for 15 minutes or so...until it cools. If you do this every hour or two, it should help.
  6. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Add some table salt to that hot water. The salt has some antibacterial qualities, and the hypertonic solution helps draw the sty to a head.

Do the hot saline compress several times per day, min. Every hour as Mom says above is great -- but not everyone can do that.

Use the water comfortably hot. Skin in the eye area is very thin & sensitive.

I use a wad of disposable cotton (several large balls) for compresses on infected areas. If you use a facecloth, make sure it doesn't get reused until it's been through a hot wash & hot dryer, to kill bacteria.

I've gotten rid of sties in a few days with the hot saline compresses ... hope it works for you if you decide to try it.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2010]
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

cool, more suggestions....thanks everyone
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I had a sty last year. Problem solved w/ OTC med. Named "Stye" and made by
    Del Pharmaceuticals in NY.

It is an ointment. Tiny tube: ten bucks. Works fast.

The odd things is it doesn't seem to contain any medicine. The active ingredients
    are mineral oil and white petrolatum.

Lots of web sites on the topic. One says home remedies usually work. Good luck.

9. amomwithsickkids

amomwithsickkids New Member

Never heard of using salt with the hot water, but makes sense. Good idea to use cotton balls or maybe even several gauze pads instead of a washcloth. I always bleach towels and washcloths, but never thought about transmission of bacteria from the washcloth used on the sty. Learn something new every day!

Aunttammie, have you tried the compresses yet?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2010]
  10. rayswife

rayswife New Member

Since the FMS has kicked in full-time, I know get sties and boils and various other skin related conditions every time I turn around! Only thing that helps me much is warm compresses every couple hours or so. One boil on my inner thigh would not heal however and became infected. Ended up in the er where they gave me and antibiotic injection and a round of antibiotics to take at home. Hope you feel better soon.
  11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

TY for all the suggestions.....I tried a few and the sties are almost gone......really hoping they do not return, but at least now I know what to do