Stiff Hands/Staying in One Position All Night while Sleeping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PolarBear, Sep 29, 2006.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hello everyone,

Happy Autumn everybody!! It is my favorite time of year. The leaves have finally started really turning this past week. They are lovely.

Okay, now for my questions . . . first, do any of you experience painful, stiff fingers/hands during sleep and when you wake in the morning? If so, how long does it take to loosen up? I started out with a couple of my fingers on my right hand and part of my hand being painful and stiff when I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia and that was back in 2000. Over the last few months both hands are affected and it is getting worse. This morning I woke up and my hands clear up to my wrists were stiff and painful. It takes a couple of minutes for them to loosen up.

I wonder if it is due to my sleeping primarily on my back all night long with my hands open on my chest. We raised the head of our bed a couple of inches due to my GERD and I have a heck of a time rolling into any other position.

So, what do you think? By the way, I have undifferentiated connective tissue disease too as well as arthritis in my spine.

Thanks!
    PolarBear
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I think it's FM- but who am I to say! I am stiff as mad as soon as I haven't moved any for a while, hands and finger included. It takes a few minutes to loosen up. I don't know what causes this.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]
  3. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Bump . . .
  4. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi polarbear:

Sorry to hear you are in such discomfort, first off are you retaining fluids that could account for the stiff feeling? Also are your hand swollen at all or just stiff.

If they are awollen, you really should see the doctor, you mentioned connective tissue and arthritis in your spine. Have you been checked for RA as well.

Also if you have been checked recently and your doctor can't find anything wrong with your hands specifically I would consider checking in with a Chiro or LMT who specializes in Myofascial disorders, you may have knots in your wrist or arm area that is causing referred pain and stiffness to the hands. Belive me you a goood chiro can
    find the knots and using trigger point release maybe give you some relief. Firts though make sure you check in with your PCP or Rheumy.

Hope this was a bit helpful,

Keep us posted.

Suz45
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It loosens then up considerably.Linda
  6. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Thanks so much for your replies . . . I will try your suggestions. I am also going to see my rheumy soon and ask her about it, since it was one of my original symptoms, maybe she needs to tweak my meds again.

Hugs,
    PolarBear