STIFF NECKplease help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Jan 24, 2007.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me what infections/viruses causes stiff neck? Or have had a stiff neck and found out the reason for it? I have not been in a accident so that is not the case. I have been tested for EBV, CMV, standard blood work, and mycoplasma. I am getting ready to be tested for Lyme disease. If this comes up negative if there anything else that I am missing. I have had this problems for years now and it is very unpleasant and painful.

Please help, Kris

2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Hi Krissy,
    Just out of the blue a year ago, my neck started becoming stiff. After a couple of months and it getting so I couldn't hardly turn my neck or sleep on my stomach with my head turned, I mentioned it to my rheumy dr. and he thought that it was probably some arthritis. He started me on Hydroxychlorq. That is probably a generic name. He told me that it takes up to three months to work. After just one week, I could turn my head again and in just a couple of weeks I was doing 95% better. It is still stiff at times but nothing like before. I use a rice bag to heat up when it starts acting the fool and that helps. He didn't do any testing but since the medicine works he says that is the problem, arthritis. I had some pain in the outer edge of my collarbone too and that is also gone. Yeah.
    Hope this helps. Pamela
  3. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hi Krissy,

I am new to the site. I read your post and I had problems with being stiff period especially in the mornings. I have found out after 3 years of pain & suffering that I have FMS along with disc herniations in my neck & some other issues such as RLS. Enough about me. It could be possible that you have a disc problem in your neck or back.
    There could be many issues & until the doctor has examined you & you go for an MRI or x-ray of the neck there's no way to just guess.

I hope your doctor is able to pinpoint it and treat you in the near future.

Good luck & keep us posted.

your friend,
    fungirl aka doc's wife :)
  4. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Thanks,
    I do have FMS and I guess this stiff neck goes a long with this whole illness.

ANyone else?
  5. momofgjc

momofgjc New Member

I have FMS and I have a stiff neck all the time. The thing that helps me the most is seeing a chiropractor, but right now I can't afford to go to one because of our insurance. What I wouldn't give to be able to go to the chiro every week!
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

My main problem is also a stiff neck,just can't seem to turn it from side to side without pain,however I don't really know what to advise as nothing has really helped me either.Leaves me with terrible pains in the left side of my head & unable to get a decent sleep.Have tried an osteopath in the past but the relief is only very short-lived.Am currently thinking of seeing a Chiro but again the cost is a factor.
    Regards,Paul
  7. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

things that can cause it, but there isn't a sureshot answer to preventing or curing it. Mostly just bandaids

Things that i've thought about that could cause this off the top of my head. I've had severe pain for a long time in my neck, on and off.

- stress largly affects spine neck and muscles
    (deeper, stress isn't just being worried one day about your kids, its prolonged mental stress OR! Physical stress caused by sickness)
    - overactive sympathetic nervous system causes tension in muscles, and could also cause the neck muscles to tighten for long periods of time, causing neck/upper back pain and abnormal bone/spine curvatures (my opinion)
    - Lack of Deep wave sleep, especially stage 3 and 4 in most of us here. Repair isn't one of our strong points during sleep.
    - as the body is in a constant state of stress, it has less and less reserve of biochemical reactions/supply to repair.
  8. grace54

grace54 New Member

Just part of my fibro, comes and goes. Helps to massage and strech those muscles and then the next day start over again and stretch them. had my neck x-rayed, looked fine. chiropractic helps but temporary so I have to treat it every day.
  9. ulala

ulala New Member

neck? Plaquenil is for malaria. What is the rationale? Thanks.

10. ill just tell you how i cope and have eased my stiff neck problem.

i only use one pillow on my bed.its not a thick bulky pillow either.

i bought a thermol blanket,and put it over my pillow,and for some reason,i stopped waking up with a stiff neck.

i bought a pain releaving gel for £8.95 pence.its called biofreeze (cant get it on perscription)and i rub that on my neck at the very start of any stiffness during the day.it works very well in easing the pain.

i got the biofreeze from the chemist,you can buy it online too.i use the roll on type, as its easier to apply when you have no one to help you.

kind regards
    fran