stiffness upon waking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Jan 11, 2007.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Does anyone feel stiff when they wake up? I feel stiff when I wake up but as soon as I get up and get going I am not stiff anymore. What causes this? Is it something to do with quality of sleep. Any one else experience this?

Thanks
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Yes like you I am very stiff in the mornings and walk around like a bent over grandma. As the morning progresses though and I move around a bit the stiffness starts to get better. I think we get stiff at night because we are not moving our limbs so in the morning our muscles just need to be streched again.......SueF
  3. yjswan

yjswan New Member

I am always stiff when I wake up and also if I stay in one position for too long. This is a symptom of FMS. I do gentle stretches before I get out of bed and it helps a lot.
  4. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Sometimes I forget I have fibro upon waking in the a.m. and my brain tries to make me jump out of bed and run downstairs like I used to do. HA!! I practically fall out of bed and it takes slow, tiny baby steps to get down those stairs now. Yes, I losen up after an hour or so. I also get stiff at night and when I'm cold.
    Mini
  5. mevy

mevy New Member

When I wake in the AM it's like I had been ran over by a big semi all night long. That's if I get much sleep at all!!! Like most of you it takes awhile to get the body to do what the brain says. Like you guys, I get stiff if I don't keep some movement going and when the whether is so cold. The whether here is Utah is so cold and snowy. I can tell if a storm is coming 3 days before it gets here. I ache so bad and in so much pain.

I am so grateful that I don't have stairs in my home. I couldn't use them if I did. I just had a total knee replacement in Nov. and that is doing great. It did cause a flare with my Fibro with the stress. Now I am going to have the other one done in mid-Feb. Not looking forward to it much. The pain is awful but the end result is so much better that I will get through it again.

Hope for better days ahead for us all. Maybe one day something will be found to help us.

Enjoy your day,

Mevy
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

krissy888:

I am stiff in my body when I wake up. Eventually it eases up and i can take a Flexeril if I need it.

My worst time with the stiffness is usually in the afternoon.

nyrofan