Still Awake What's the deal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Solstice, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Didn't get enough sleep. Was tired today. Head nodding most of the day. Then I went to bed about 10:30 pm and couldn't sleep! How confusing. Now it's 2:30 a.m. and I'm still awake. This is so weird and frustrating....................................

I know many of us have this problem. But how can I barely keep my eyes open, and then as soon as I hit the pillow I can't fall asleep?

Anyone know what is really going on with this. Is it they dysregulation thing?

Awake and not awake,

Solstice
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2003]
  2. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I know for sure I'll be dead tired tomorrow, but right now I'm wide awake.

Tammy
  3. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have had that, too. I think that I have read that you would rather go the wholistic route...You might want to try GABA (See thoughts on this by Klutzo)..It is suppose to do what Klonopin can do with calming the nervous system..

Sometimes, during the day I have become very drowsy, but it was connected to allergies to specific foods..if extremely drowsy..
    but also, if you are not sleeping well, it would be normal to have that during the day..

If the GABA does not work, the only prescribed meds that I am having to take, now, are for sleep...Zanaflex works very well over the long term..Ambien works, very effectively, for short term usage..I KNOW HOW AWFUL IT IS TO NOT SLEEP!!

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
    ~~Amelia~~
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2003]
  4. Solstice

Solstice New Member

for the GABA suggestion. I did read Klutzo's description on the other thread. And I will do a search on it. Although Klutzo did say she didn't know if it would be good for CFIDS people..........which I am. But sounds certainly worth checking out. Two nights in a rwo of 5 hrs. of sleep...............just doesn't cut it!

Hope you are doing well..................and thanks ; )

Solstice
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

How I know what you are feeling! It is bewildering, to be nodding, and cannot even hold your eyes open they are so heavy, and then lay down to try to nap, and your brain refuses to shut down. I experience this often.
    I think this is a combination of things in CFIDS, contributed from sleep disorders increasing fatigue, yet sensory overexcitation vying for control. I believe it all boils down to dysautonomia....due to a central nervous system out of whack. Proper chemicals are not being released that usually released in our bodies to precipitate sleep, and neuro-excitability runs rampant. Klonopin has helped ease the racing brain for me when I am thoroughly exhausted, and must absolutely sleep.
    LL
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2003]
  6. mince38

mince38 New Member

Hi,

First of all, I am a life-coach and I have the same problem as you. My belief is that it didnt get their by itself. The medical community is just not too efficient at these nuerological disorders in my opinion. First, try villarian root. It is the herb vallium is made from! It worked like a charm for me 12 yrs ago when i TOOK it with L-tryptophane and skullcap, but now it doesnt help at all. I would say as a coach I've recommended it to 10 people. It really helped 3 a lot and 1 a little and the rest not at all. Also, there is caffeine. I find if I drink coffee at all, even 1 cup in the morning, I can forget about a good full nites sleep.

Now we come to lifestyle. if you arent happy with your life, or at least at peace with who you are, it will manifest as dis-ease or dis-tress somewhere. Try to live a common sense lifestyle of proper diet and "moderate" exercise. (Walking is fine.)A biggie is:the more toxic stressful people you have in your life, the less you will sleep. DONT LIVE YOUR LIFE TRYING TO MAKE OTHERS HAPPY "BEFORE" YOURSELF. SELFISH PEOPLE SLEEP REALLY WELL!
    I have researched this. It's true. I also believe they are a lot healthier. If all else fails, get a prescription for amitriptaline. It is classified as an anti-depressant but just 25mg a night will have you sleeping like a log in no time! And, you can take it forever and never increase the dosage because it is non-addicting that way. I PERSONALLY KNOW PEOPLE ON IT FOR 15 YRS OR MORE AND THEY ARE HEALTHY! You can email me at:pakua42@aol.com if you need more help.

Marc
  7. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I know exactly how you feel. I can be so sleepy that I think I'll pass out at any minute, and as soon as I lie down to sleep, I can't... My doc recently put me on Elavil to help with sleep and it has worked somewhat well. It still takes me quite awhile to get to sleep, but at least I can eventually. Maybe you should ask your dr about some kind of sleep medication if this happens to you a lot. It's helped me some... I also try to not think about anything while I'm trying to go to sleep, just clear my mind and I'll start counting (not neccessarily sheep, but just counting...hehe) and that tends to help some... I don't think I've ever made it to 300 before falling asleep...
    Indigo (Sharon)
  8. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Hey, your point about G.W. is well taken with me!
    And I don't think you are saying that he sleeps well because he is a "saint". Although, some people believe he is!

Actually, alot of the reasons many people are not sleeping lately is because of G.W.

Sorry to offend some.

Solstice

[ advertisement ]