Still Have A Job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I talked with the mgr. today and she said I could train to become a cashier. I prefer being a bagger but I knew when I signed on that they wanted to cross train me. They need baggers who are able to do the hard work of closing/cleaning the store. I understand that but I have to wonder why they don't hire the hunky young men for that. We do have them working as baggers. I gave it my best shot but I refuse to do anything which would set back the progress I've made. The other bagger who trained with me was about to tell the mgr. she couldn't keep bagging because pushing the carts was killing her scoliosis. Some guy before me said he couldn't close and they let him go.

I'm glad I still have a job and I'm sure I'll enjoy checking for the part time that I'll be doing it. My SIL is having hernia repair on Dec. 7th, so I'll be going up to Atlanta for a few days and will probably start training when I get back. I'll be glad to see the kids, even if one is having surgery. He's a trooper and I'm sure he'll recover fast. At least, they won't have to worry about Andy. Grandma will take care of him :)

Love, Mikie
  2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

You are a true fighter...just don't over do it.

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm glad for this outcome. Enjoy your visit with your kids...and pray your SIL comes through with flying colors.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. You are right to guard your physical progress. If you didn't, you could do no job.

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've been watching your progress with interest, I used to be a bagger many years ago. I know how physically demanding that job is so I just quietly hoped that everything would be ok for you.

I think the cross training is a good idea.

Hope your visit goes well...

Nancy B
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I hope the cashiering works out for you, at least you'll be able to sit down....the bagging sounds like such heavy work.

It's great that you're going to spend time with your wee grandson, pity about the circumstances, hope your SIL recovers quickly.

You're right to make sure this job doesn't hamper your recovery, it's taken awhile but you've come such a long way, no job is worth that risk.

Have a lovely time with your family.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate the support and your prayers. I'm sure my SIL will come out of the surgery well. His appendectomy went well.

The cashiers don't sit unless they have an injury. If I asked, I probably could but I'm not sure it would help. They have hard wooden stools so they are at the right height. You need to be able to move from the conveyer belt to the baggers. At least now, they use touch screens and not the repetitive keystrokes which caused tendonitis in the past.

This going back to work business is such a trial and error ordeal. Because I couldn't close tonight, I had to trade with another bagger and I'm working 8 1/2 hrs. until 10:00 but I don't have to close. If I can't do it, I'll tell them before 10:00.

Six hours of bagging is just right. I wish I could just do that. I may check a market close to my house to see whether they could accommodate me.

Thanks again to you all. I'll let y'all know how the surgery goes. Think I'll go put a new pic of Andy in my profile.

Love, Mikie
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

You've worked so hard to get a job, I really hope the cashier position and everything else there all works out OK... and that none of this sends you into a flare.

At least it'll be a good break for you to come up to Atlanta and see your family! I hope your SIL does fine.

And I sure hope we have decent weather then ... altho we do need the rain, but at least not ICE, LOL!

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm hoping that on one of my trips, I will have time so that we can get together. This trip will be short and hurried but maybe another time.

I just spoke to my wonderful new state vocational rehab counselor. He told me to tell the guy who holds my Ticket To Work to negotiate with Publix to get hours and a job I can do. Sooooo, I have a call in to him. I would love to just bag nor more than 6 hrs.

I worked 7 and 1/2 hrs. yesterdday, so I was there 8 and 1/2 hrs. total. When I got off at 10:00 last night, my legs and feet were screaming in pain and my back was killing me too. It makes no sense to train for cashiering if they expect me to stand for 8 hrs.

I'll let y'all know how this saga turns out. Thanks for the good wishes for my SIL, Dave. Take care. So far, the weather looks pretty good but I know it can change fast. A cold front is supposed to come through on Mon. night.

Love, Mikie
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

Whenever you have the time/energy in Atlanta, let me know (nanna has my email); I can usually plan and pull things off.

One "nice" thing about doing the marshall protocol is I can plan my herxes fairly well... if there is anything nice to be said about having herxes! ie, I'm taking my son to his LLMD in SC tomorrow, so resting up and stopped herxing earlier this week.

That sounds great what your voc. rehab coun. said, perhaps he will have been of use after all! I sure hope Publix wants to be seen as an employee friendly environment.

Hmmm, a cold-front? I will keep my fingers crossed ... not all have brought rain unfortunately, at least not to us. It's been pretty amazing to watch most all the rain dry up before getting to this area this year.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good luck with your son and his doc. I don't know what y'all are going to do up there with this drought. I pray for rain. Plenty has fallen all around you. We are short of water down here and we have the dry season coming up. We will be cut to watering only once a week. The weather in the winter is beautiful down here but everything can brown out if there is a drought. Of course, that is small potatoes compared to not having enough to drink nor shower. Yikes!

Take care.

Love, Mikie