Still Have Swine Flu

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I still have swine flu. I seem to be at the stage of it with some kind of sticky clear mucous choking me and the cough is bad. I tried Mucinex, but it's upsetting my stomach so badly that I don't know if I should stay on it. And it only helps temporarily. I just took pseudophedrine again, which seems to be the only thing that lets me breathe. I might go to the ER for the cough. I've been debating it. I think I'm just scared cause the ones who go seem to be the ones who die. But so far, I can't get rid of it on my own.

Total time I've had swine flu full symptoms would be a full week plus today.

I really don't want to die from this.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

TeaBisqit, Maybe a trip to the ER would be a good idea. They might want to give you a breathing treatment and an inhaler to help you breathe better. I don't have asthma, but sometimes I get what the doc's called weather/chemical induced asthma that's temporary.

The last time I had a severe respiratory infection they did those things for me. Maybe an antibiotic for secondary infections also.

This really helped me to start feeling better. Do you have any of those walk-in clinics where you are? They're faster and cheaper than hospital ER's. Feel better, and I'm praying for you. GB66
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The doc had given me an inhaler, but it seemed to make this worse.

I took the pseudofedrine again and that worked like a miracle. It's just that once it wears off, I die again.

If it gets bad again, I know I'm going to have to go for help. I'm just trying hard to avoid it. I want it to just go away.
  4. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I wish I had some words of wisdom. You sound horrible and this whole HINI is scary. Sending hopes that you get well soon.

Sometimes I wonder if my grandma's home remedies worked better: whiskey, lemon, rock candy ( could buy chunks as a kid from the candy store, looked like clear ice and was hard) and some honey. Of course she also thought a mustard plaster that near to burned my skin off was her version of cough help too.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2009]
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

So sorry you are so sick. My great-granddaughter had it and she was one sick little girl . So I can imagine how sick you are. She ran a high temp. for over a week and then it went to her lungs. The doc at this time put her on an antibiotic and she is improving .

Usually little ones bounce back fast but it has taken her over 2 weeks and still not herself. So
    might not hurt to seek some medical help.

Keep us posted, Prayes and God bless,
  6. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

If it turns into pneumonia it COULD kill you, please don't wait until it's full-blown to do something, you're in no condition to take chances
  7. Elisa

Elisa Member

Maybe buffered Vit C to bowel tolerance...many say this can knock out all symptoms.

Check out the website doctoryourself dot com - under flu. Here's the link - for colds and flu:

Its helped me alot when I felt really bad - that and magnesium in hot water (the powdered kind -sold here as Calm) for breathing and loosening up tight lungs.

God Bless,

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I'm sorry you are still so sick.....I would try calling your Dr and letting him know that the inhaler seems to be making things worse, and tell him, too, about how bad your breathing is.....he should be able to tell you whether to go to the Er or not

praying for you
  9. Juloo

Juloo Member

Two adults and one child in our house -- all of us had this. The child (13) has just a little coughing left over. The two adults, on the other hand, are both on antibiotics. I have two different inhalers as well. I hear sort of a 'crackling' sound when I breathe. The mucus in my chest is starting to break up, and I continue on guiafenesin for that. Still coughing. I started getting sick the morning of October 24th -- the high fever stuff lasted through Monday night, then only low fever on Tuesday and Wednesday. I saw the doctor then and have been on antibiotics since Wednesday evening.
  10. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

My son was sick all this week. Have you tried a humidifier. It really helped my son(7). The dr also has him on Mucinex which he cannot stand the strong flavor. He only needed it for two mornings thank goodness.

He is back to school at least on Friday but the cough is still sounding bad.

Let us know if you saw the dr or ER and how you are doing now.

Edited to add I also worry that either I will die or my son will die so I hear you on that. Hugs[This Message was Edited on 10/31/2009]
  11. quanked

quanked Member

A pharmacist told me that drinking lots of of water worked better than mucinex.
  12. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Well, so far, just about all the icky clear envelope glue I was spitting up seems to be gone. The cough is mostly dry again, still alittle mucus in my throat, but not like before. I guess the Mucinex did something or the symptom is clearing on its own. I don't know. I agree with the taste of the Mucinex being disgusting. Just swallowing that big pill makes me want to puke. However, since I swallowed it a few hours ago, I'm not coughing as much. It helps.

I'm probably not drinking as much water as I should. But what happens is, the cough gets better, then I drink water, then I barf up a lung again.

The pseudophedrine really helps, but I only have three days worth of it left.

If I don't go to the ER today, I'll call the doc's office on Monday morning and see what they want to do.

I hate having this. It's a total nightmare.
  13. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Praying for you.

14. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

Tea just wanted to let you know I am also praying for you and please take extra special care of yourself. Keep us posted on how you are and the progress you are making.
    Lots of love and prayers your way,
    ((hugs)) Faith
  15. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

If you do go , may be best if you have doctor test you for the Swine Flu.
    Unless they already have.

You may need more breathing treatments if this is the Swine Flu.
    Hopefully it's not the Swine flu .

Wish you Better Soon
  16. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I hope you start feeling better soon. Breath Easy and Herba Tussin teas help me, it may not make a dent but it might be worth a try. I also drink liquid Kyolic garlic for coughs and that helps as well as Herba Tussin cough drops. Hope you can stay hydrated and try to eat well to give your body the strength to fight this off.

17. spacee

spacee Member

Praying for you too.

18. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

you are doing better! I swear by those horrible tasting blue pills!

I break mine in half, put a tiny bit of water in my mouth with one,
    throw my head back so it forces it to the back of my throat
    immediately, then push a slippery supplement (calcium or
    OsteoBiFlex right in behind it with another swallow of water
    and the second pill pushes the half one down fast! Then do
    it all over again with the other half. Works for me, and it
    really, really clears up my thick mucus.

I hope you do call the dr. tomorrow, just to be on the safe
    side, especially if the inhaler makes it worse. Pneumonia
    can build up slowly, so don't wait, ok?

Hoping for the best for you,
  19. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have a doc appointment for this afternoon. The cough is not going away. And it feels like it's in my left lung. I'm still getting some mucus in my throat. And the stuff I'm taking wears off in about five or six hours even though it's the twelve hour pills. So I start coughing like crazy and I can't take the stuff again for alot of hours. It's really awful. I've been coughing for the last few hours. It is Swine Flu. But most of the symptoms went away. I'm just left with viral bronchitis and some stomach upset. The stomach problems could be from the Mucinex, though. And I'm fatigued, but who wouldn't be if you can't get much sleep with the coughing. I try to sleep when the pills work. Also, the NMH/POTS has been bad again. I read that Swine Flu screws with your Vasopressin levels because the body is trying to save you from pneumonia. So it's keeping the water out and the pressure low. But it sux cause I'm lightheaded again. I want this gone :(
  20. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

So glad you are going to the doctors. I've been worried about you!

Is there anyone who could come in and make you some soup? Maybe do some laundry? I'm sure it's gotten ahead of you. I know when I had Swine flu it was such a relief when I finally got clean sheets on my bed.

Still praying for you.