still having migraines almost every day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luvdogs, Sep 23, 2008.

1. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I'm still having migraines most day. I had a one day break, and then that afternoon, evening I had the pre-migraine sensation, (the yuckies), and the next day I had a migraine.

My sister does Bikram yoga for her migraines, and she says it helps. I can't do anything that energetic, but I thought I would try a regular yoga routine that I used to do for my health. Just started tonight. Wish me luck.
  2. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

Im with you on the migraines. I have them most days. My doc just put me on Topamax. I havent started it yet since I was having family issues and didnt know what the side effects were. according to the ppwrk from the pharmacy said it can make you drowsy and nauceous. At this time I could not afford to do suffer with either. So I suffered with the headache which I know what to expect with that. Let me know if the yoga helps

3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm on Topamax -for fibro not migraines, but boy has it helped my tension headaches! I've only had maybe 5 headaches since I started taking it last Dec.

You need to start at a low dose and go up SLOWLY. I never felt nauseous, but it can make you sleepy - that is what has helped me sleep through the night, so I'd advise taking it before you go to bed. We've tried several different 'schedules' of when it is best to take. The first few weeks the side effects can be kind of weird.

I had a real hard time w/memory. I would lose words. Simply lose them. Just couldn't remember what something was called. Thankfully that does go away. After a few weeks I felt normal again.

Headaches - any kind, are horrible. I can't imagine suffering from daily or frequent migraines! I hope you find relief and soon!
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I had horrible migraines everyday. Now I only get few a month. And that is because I went on Topamax. It has been a life saver for me.

5. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

I have either migraines or tension headaches (or a combination thereof) almost daily. Some weeks it is daily. I do seem to have some sort of headache every single day, although I have become used to that. But the migraines and tension headaches get bad so often. None of the migraine meds ever worked for me, and I long ago exhausted the capabilities of OTC meds, since I've been having migraines since I was about 13 years old (although nowhere near this frequently!).

Let us know if the yoga helps...
  6. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Just wrote a long post, and then it was erased because my computer went offline. And this is not the first time!

Anyway, my sister is on Topamax, and she says it helps her migraines, and helps her sleep. The only reason I'm not on Topamax is because I'm on so many other pills. For a long time, Lyrica helped by migraines, but that was before everything went to hell in my life, both physically and in general. My question is, can you take both Lyrica and Topamax at the same time? And can you take Topamax at the same time as sedatives and sleeping pills? I would go off my Klonopin, but it helps me with tremors and jerks and RLS.

I was surprised by how many people have daily headaches, and even, daily migraines. I think mine are triggered by stress and physical duress. I just had surgery, and then my Dad died the day after my surgery. Not to mention the fact that I'm thinking of breaking up with my long-time boyfriend, but am so far unable to do so.

I also had daily migraines in May when we went for a vacation to the beach. When we left the beach my migraines stopped. Strange, huh? The only thing I can think of is that A. we had a lot of wind at the beach, and B. I was doing too many physical things, like walking, swimming, etc.

Anyway, I'm trying the yoga and meditation, along with Magnesium and Niacin. I also restarted the drug Megace, which helps with symptoms of menopause. I'll let you know what helps the most. Thanks for all of your comments.
  7. steach

steach Member

I've been on meds to prevent, kept a journal, ate different foods, tried all the "triptians" such as Immetrix, Maxalt, Zomig, .... The only thing that works for me (knock on wood) is Butalbitol- it is a generic for Fiuoricet(?). It is only by prescription and it is an abortive med. I also have phenergan to take if I am vomiting with it. Butalbitol works for tension headaches or migraines.

8. steach

steach Member

I've been on meds to prevent, kept a journal, ate different foods, tried all the "triptians" such as Immetrix, Maxalt, Zomig, .... The only thing that works for me (knock on wood) is Butalbitol- it is a generic for Fiuoricet(?). It is only by prescription and it is an abortive med. I also have phenergan to take if I am vomiting with it. Butalbitol works for tension headaches or migraines.

9. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

First, I DID have migraines while at the beach, which I thought was strange.

Ok, the latest...I went two days without migraines (YES!), but had a really bad one today, the pulsating, throbbing etc. I knew I was going to have one last night. Is there any way I could have stopped it once I was having the prodrome (premigraine sensations)? I don't know.

I found out bananas are bad news, so I will cut down on bananas. Also, I eat carob as a substitute for chocolate. I ate carob yesterday. Is carob out too?

I still think the major culprit is stress and physical duress. I groomed my dogs yesterday, and was totally wiped out afterwards. Thanks for the input.
  10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

My daughter suffers from migraines. She has found a number of food triggers and is trying to avoid them.

A big one is nitrites. This includes aged or preserved foods/ingredients such as alot of cheeses, bacon, sausage, hot dogs, pepperoni, lunch meat, etc.

Another one is tyramine...also aged and preserved foods. You can Google any of these triggers and find more info. You can find info on a tyramine free diet.

She also avoids nuts, red wine, anything with MSG, cigarette smoke, missing meals, and missing sleep. Many people have trouble with chocolate or caffeine. Tannins can be a problem...they are in red wine, tea, etc.

Also, a person can develop a sensitivity to any food or ingredient, ie: gluten(wheat, rye, barley), milk, sugar, corn (corn syrup), etc.

You might want to do a little research and try eliminating one whole group of foods containing a common migraine offender such as nitrites for at least a couple weeks and see what happens. Then move onto another food(s).

You may be surprised to find that you are having less migraines and that would be a wonderful thing, and totally worth it!
  11. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I don't use nitrites, or chocolate, or coffee, or gluten, or aged foods,etc. and yet I still have the migraines.

However I do eat bananas. Do I need to stop those?
  12. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

The only way to tell if it will help is to try it and see if they decrease. However it can easily be more than one food/ingredient contributing.

If it were me I would keep a detailed food diary, noting everything that you eat and drink, including small things like ketchup, salt, other spices and herbs,etc. In the diary I would note your symptoms and use a 0-10 scale of severity.

After awhile you will be able to study your diary and look for patterns. Symptoms from foods often can appear 1 or 2 days after ingestion, or right away.

The way you are suffering, it would be worthwhile to try it.
  13. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

That not only triggered a migraine, but my allergies got significantly worse. I don't know if it was the cheese or the wheat, but I had been off of both for several weeks. Back to a puritanical diet, I guess. Oh and now the little cough I had has turned into a nasty cough. I really need a break.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2008]
  14. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Before cutting out bananas try eating 'just ripe' ones, not over-ripe...and wash the skins... I know you're not eating the skin but I read that stuff on the skin can migrate to the banana during eating...just a thought - bananas are so good for you unless you find you have a specific problem with them, tc Shell
  15. steach

steach Member

My aunt gets migraines from dairy products.

16. S-Elaine

S-Elaine Member

I use to suffer with daily migraines that would last all day. My worst cycle was 23 straight days in horiffic pain.

For 5 years I tried any medication available & nothing worked.

Finally, my doctor introduced me to BOTOX injections & they work.

That is the ONLY treatment I would ever use for myself personally because I know how successful it is.

The BOTOX injections keep me migraine / headache free for more than a year at a time. Sometimes even a FEW years, yet that is not necessarily so common.

Most need to have the injections administered 2 times a year & it keeps them 100% pain free.

Just wanted to suggest that avenue.

== Elaine
  17. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

What kind of doctors give Botox injections, and where do they do the injections (i.e. which part of the head or face)? None of my doctors seem to have heard about this as a cure for migraines, so I don't know to which doctor I would go.
  18. laratd

laratd New Member

Physical exertion will cause migrains for me but the other big thing for me is my chemical sensitivities which are common with CFS and FM.Fragrances and ink are the big culprits and there are fragrances everywhere, in sunscreen,shampoo, soap, household cleaners, laundry detergent, makeup etc. I used to get up in the morning and feel good until I had my shower and got dressed. In doing this i had used shampoo with fragrance, soap, skin cream and make up and put clothes on washed in laundry detergent.. By the time i was done my ears would be ringing, I would have a brain fog and would be really groggy and ready to go back to bed..and then the headache would come. Reading the newspaper cleaning with cleaners and visiting people with candles or air fresheners causes the same thing..oh yes and stores..lots of stores are bad.. If it smells good then I get sick and a migraine
  19. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I use all natural cleaners, I stay away from air fresheners like the Plague (never have used them), and my shampoos, gels, etc. are all made with natural ingredients. I also use fragrance-free laundry detergent. However, some of my natural and organic products do have fragrances. Are natural fragrances (i.e.) not made from chemicals, but made from something like plant products, ok? Or should I stay away from all fragrances period?

What do you do when someone shows up with a lot of perfume or cologne? I work with immigrants, and a lot of the Hispanic males wear cologne. I don't want to hurt their feelings.
  20. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

My migraines have slowed down. I'm now having them every two to three days instead of every day.

I now know some clear triggers: wheat, cheese, and over-processed foods with artificial ingredients. Another clear trigger is overdoing. Any time I overdo, I have a migraine the next day. That's a difficult one, because there are times I have to overdo, either by doing odd jobs to make money, or by cleaning the house, etc.

I also do yoga almost every day, unless I'm really tired. I also do deep breathing and some meditation.

I take Magnesium and Niacin. By the way, does anyone know now much Niacin I should take to prevent migraines?