Still in denial?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year ago. I know I've had it for at least five years, if not longer.

My question is: even though I can feel most of the tender points (and can't deny I have FM), most of my other discomforts come other sources. Pain? arthritis - in my spine, in my knees. Fatigue? dehydration, insomnia. Constipation? Pain & antidepressant medications.

Five years ago (coincidence?) I had a total knee replacement. I was one of the 5% that wasn't successful. The spacer used was too large leaving my knee unstable. I've been wearing a knee brace ever since. As a result, my posture is the pits. Because I favor my right knee, I'm sure my back is taking the brunt of the imbalance.

Okay, to make a long story short, how can my symptoms come from FM when I can point to other things that can also cause them? Am I simply in denial?

This is all so confusing!!
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

It really takes some time to educate ourselves about these diseases. Fibromyalgia can accompany all the other problems that you have. It is possible that you have it too! On the other hand, if you are really unsure, you should clarify things with your Doctor or see someone else.

It might be helpful to spend some time here reading and asking questions. This is a great place for support and education.

Good Luck.

Kathy.
  3. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Guess I'm just real frustrated with my pain and fatigue. My doctor doesn't really know anything about FM and there aren't any rheumys in the area. So, I've become my own doctor. I keep experimenting with the drugs and dosages I take, hoping to find some sort of balance.

My concerns are based on the fact that I want a cure, a fix. I don't want to be in pain (arthritis mostly) all the time, but my pain meds (Ultracet, diclofenac) constipate me something awful - which becomes another problem to combat. I don't want to be tired all the time, but none of my doctors think my thyroid is underactive. And when I take Flexeril or Ambien, I'm in a fog the next day. My trazodone keeps me asleep for about 5 hours. Especially when I have to get up at night (nature call) and can't get back to sleep. Hey, maybe I should enroll in med school and become a fibromyalgia physician!!

Thanks again. Have a good day.