Still in pain from my over doing it at the pool

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Today was so hard to stay awake. All I wanted to do was to sleep and that is what I did for most of the day and part of the evening and after I post this I am going to go to bed and hopefully sleep.

I have thought about hydrofit clas at the pool last night. I really have a couple of things against me.

1. The pool is out doors. Last night was really cool down in the lower50"s to the high 40's and for swimming that is cold .The water was really nice at first untill my body adjusted to it and then it felt like it was gettting cooler as the hour long class went on.

And getting out of the pool it was painfull for me as the air at 10:30 pm was down right cold , so I grabed my sweat suit and pulled the bottlems right over the bottom of my suit and wraped a dry towel around my shoulders .

I started to get warm but the stiffness and pain had already entered in to my body and walking to my car was so painfull that if it had not been for the help of one of the teachers I would have fallen down because my knees's had stiffened up so much that I could not bend then to step down off the sidewalk.

2. the pool is out doors so I am subject to the weather. The night before it had rained all day and it was not cold but the day wsa cool.

Yesterday was still on the cooler side even though the temp during the day was in the 80"s
    This is the only time I can get to the pool to do this class. And it wwill not be till the fall that I will be able to have a indoor pool to exercise in and that will be highly colrinated at it is a school pool.

But I will be able to get dryed off before going out in to the cold air of late fall and winter. But I am going to have to pace my self more.

I spoke with the teachers of the class;s last night and both told me not to use the styrofoam booties as they put more pressure on your knee's and can cause them to hurt more and to stress them , and they could even cause a injury. So I need to put on a belt float so that I will float but not have the problem with the knees.
    And each teacher said the same thing to do things much slower, to do the oppiste of of what they are telling the rest of the class.

They are telling to push it and keep your heart rate up and move as fast as you can, And I can't do that or I pay BIG TIME. As I talked with them last night they both told me to follow the exercises but to do them really slow at my pace and to not do them for as long as they have the rest of the class doing them.
    I can just float in the deep water with a float under my arms and just hang my legs in the pool and have not pressure on my body and it feels so great,

Just trying to figure out what I should do and how much of it is the hard part for me. For some strange reason my brain thinks that I can do any thing I want and so I should keep up with the beat and just push my self to keep up .

MY body is telling me "ARE YOU NUTS ? YOU CAN'T DO THAT IT IS GOING TO HURT YOU SOONER OR LATER. DO THIS SLOWER AND DON'T PUSH IT SO HARD. DO THIS SLOWER AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE PAIN AS MUCH THE NEXT DAY.!"

I guess I should follow your advise and do waht my dbody is telling me to . Don't push it so hard I don't have to keep up with everyone else and I don't have to do the same exercise's either as I can just jog in the deep water and to the exercises that don't hurt me.

I took a class like this about 3 years ago and I did have fibro , but the rest of the problems were not so bad and I didn't know that I had the MPS then. I was really tired when I would get done with the class but nothing like I am now. I could do more and do the exercise's faster and push my self harder and didn't pay for the exercise's I was doing. But that pool was in doors and I was 3 years younger and not in as much pain on a daily basis.

It has takem me a while to understand why I hurt more with this class than I did with the last one and the answer is in the pools as one was in doors free of the out side air and bugs and this new pool is out doors and there are bugs and it is a public pool so that class's are much later in the evening. And I did my own thing in the first class . Yes I did get sore but not not as much nor did the pain last as long.

Wo what have I learned from this ? I have to learn to listen to my body and let it tell me when I should stop and then stop and get out , and leave the class even though I have not worked our for the entire hour. I need to learn to listen better and I think that when I do that I will not have this horriable pain as I did last night.

My class's that I am taking are 5 nights a week. Momday it was raining so I did n't go. I went last night and not to night and if I feel better I may go tomorrow to the class. It depends on just how I am feeling.

I have rested all day adn still hurt alot so It is time to take a hot bath and go to bed. And sleep.
    Thanks for all your help and your thoughts for me.

Thanks so much.
    Rosemarie
  2. baanders

baanders New Member

I joined an outdoor pool and had similar issues. I am much better just taking a hot bath. Would you ever consider investing in a hot tub? Epson salts in a tub are muscle relaxing as they contain magnesium, which relaxes the muscles. Have you considered walking on soft dirt or grass with good walking shoes at a very leisurely pace? The pool didn't work out for me, either. I hope this helps.

baanders
  3. baanders

baanders New Member

I joined an outdoor pool and had similar issues. I am much better just taking a hot bath. Would you ever consider investing in a hot tub? Epson salts in a tub are muscle relaxing as they contain magnesium, which relaxes the muscles. Have you considered walking on soft dirt or grass with good walking shoes at a very leisurely pace? The pool didn't work out for me, either. I hope this helps.

baanders
  4. peachrie

peachrie New Member

For some reason, i get flares after almost every aqua class, especially after a hot shower at the gym (dont worry i still shower daily, lol)

it hurts to reach up and wash my hair, reach for the soap, clean myself off, change, by the time i get to the car i'm completely pooped and fatigue sets in.

often times i leave aqua class early too-- some exercises they do are quite vigorous!

good luck, all best
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

RoseMarie:

The same thing happens with me. I feel a litle bit better and then in my garden I decide to push and pull a pot or a plant. I will see how it goes for tomorrow.

Feel better.

nyrofan