Still looking for answers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Musica, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Musica

Musica New Member

I saw my rheumy today. We are still struggling with a diagnosis in addition to rheumatoid arthritis, which is fully being controlled with meds. Well, at least it has been, but now I have to go off all immunosuppressants a week before and after next week's surgery.

Anyway, my BP was really high and it came out that not only am I anxious about surgery, but I was also in a lot of pain. He asked if it was pain all over, to which I said yes. Then he asked specifically about feet pain and walking? Well, I can walk, but it hurts. The weird thing is, when I have told him in the past when my feet hurt, he hasn't seemed to be concerned about that, but this time he asked about them! I was told by someone else that feet pain seem to be an indicator of FMS (as opposed to RA). Do many of you have feet pain, pain with walking?

The second question is about ultracet/ultram/tramadol. Because my BP was so high, he told me to take two, 3 times a day. The normal prescription is twice a day, but I was told by someone else that ultracet is often used for FMS. Well, it is used for a lot of pain conditions, but usually the twice a day. Do you know about an increased dose of ultracet for FMS pain? It could be that he wants to get quick relief of pain to see if it brings down my blood pressure, but I'm wondering if he might also use the higher dose as a normal part of FMS pain. His main interest is FMS, but I don't know what his standard protocols are for treatment.

Thanks for your input.
  2. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I've been wondering how you've been and now I know--hurting. When is your surgery? We talked about getting together when you are in Renton, but I've been having a few bad weeks myself or maybe I mean a few more bad weeks.

There was a thread on 10/4 about nerve pain and pain in feet. Someone wrote that a new medicine, Lyrica, has become available. Wish I could remember who posted it for you.

I have a bottle of 50mg tramadol from my pcp for fms. The instructions are to take 1 to 2 tablest by mouth every 4 to 6 hours with 2 tablets of extra strength tylenol with each dose.

The tramadol didn't work very well for me. I've been taking hydrocodone, but just asked the doc for something stronger. She prescribed 30 5mg oxycodone for the really bad pain.

I hope the blood pressure calms down. And the pain backs off.

Take care!

Francie