still need help with supplements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinky, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I have symptoms of both FM & CFS for probably more than 10 years but have just been diagnosed 2 years ago. I am seeing a rheumatologist now and she is still working on a treatment plan that works for me. I have been put on various meds. as well as many supplements. Each time I just get more and more confused!Sometimes I am just not sure what is working and what is making things worse. And then I come to you all and I get more confused. I also have a very hard time with memory and concentration, and that doesn't help. I am sure you all are getting tired of hearing me ask the same ?'s over and over- but I need HELP! I have been having a horrible time with diahrea/ constipation(IBS?)gas, bloating and nausea. I also get chest pains. I have GERD and a seizure disorder. Sometimes I feel so horrible that I wonder if I have FMS/CFS at all or if I have something fatal and the doctors have missed it. I have just lost so much faith in doctors I am so scared and and get depressed at times that all I do is cry.The pain gets so bad and I am so exhausted all the time.The worst of my pain seems to be in my lower back, hips, lower legs, neck and shoulders,knee and ankle.And what about headache- I seem to get them so frequently, too. Am I taking too many supplements or the wrong combination? Can it make things worse if you take too much? Currently I am taking-
    MSM-3,000mg.
    Cal/Mag-with Vitamin D 1,000mg.Calcium
    500mg.Magnesium
    100 I.U
    CQ-10 60mg.
    Vitamin E 400I.U.
    ZMA 2 capsules at bedtime
    GABA 1 at nighttime
    Malic Acid/Magnesium 152mg. Magnesium
    Vitamin C 500mg. 825mg. Magnesium
    DHEA 25mg.
    Glucosamine/ Chondroitoin 1,500/1,200
    Multi Vitamin-Mega Womans from Vitamin World
    Flaxseed 1,000mg.
    Complete B
    Is this all too much?????
    I also am taking Prevacid, Dilantin, Ultram, and Ambien for sleep. I do not sleep more than 3-4 hours and even then I never feel like I get into a deep sleep. My doctor also just told me I have the start of osteoarthritis in my hands and neck. Can these supplements/meds. cause the stomache pain, diahhrea gas and bloating or is it IBS?What can you do about IBS? What about pain in the upper abdomen, it hurts to even touch that area at times. HELP!!!!!!! I am a 45 year old female and only working part time and have a hard time making it through 6 hours a day of work. And once I am home I have no energy to do anything else- My children are on their own and it is just my husband and I and I was really looking forward to these years with him- but I am too sick all the time to enjoy these years.
    Any and all sugestions are appreciated. THANX!
    Debbie
  2. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I have symptoms of both FM & CFS for probably more than 10 years but have just been diagnosed 2 years ago. I am seeing a rheumatologist now and she is still working on a treatment plan that works for me. I have been put on various meds. as well as many supplements. Each time I just get more and more confused!Sometimes I am just not sure what is working and what is making things worse. And then I come to you all and I get more confused. I also have a very hard time with memory and concentration, and that doesn't help. I am sure you all are getting tired of hearing me ask the same ?'s over and over- but I need HELP! I have been having a horrible time with diahrea/ constipation(IBS?)gas, bloating and nausea. I also get chest pains. I have GERD and a seizure disorder. Sometimes I feel so horrible that I wonder if I have FMS/CFS at all or if I have something fatal and the doctors have missed it. I have just lost so much faith in doctors I am so scared and and get depressed at times that all I do is cry.The pain gets so bad and I am so exhausted all the time.The worst of my pain seems to be in my lower back, hips, lower legs, neck and shoulders,knee and ankle.And what about headache- I seem to get them so frequently, too. Am I taking too many supplements or the wrong combination? Can it make things worse if you take too much? Currently I am taking-
    MSM-3,000mg.
    Cal/Mag-with Vitamin D 1,000mg.Calcium
    500mg.Magnesium
    100 I.U
    CQ-10 60mg.
    Vitamin E 400I.U.
    ZMA 2 capsules at bedtime
    GABA 1 at nighttime
    Malic Acid/Magnesium 152mg. Magnesium
    Vitamin C 500mg. 825mg. Magnesium
    DHEA 25mg.
    Glucosamine/ Chondroitoin 1,500/1,200
    Multi Vitamin-Mega Womans from Vitamin World
    Flaxseed 1,000mg.
    Complete B
    Is this all too much?????
    I also am taking Prevacid, Dilantin, Ultram, and Ambien for sleep. I do not sleep more than 3-4 hours and even then I never feel like I get into a deep sleep. My doctor also just told me I have the start of osteoarthritis in my hands and neck. Can these supplements/meds. cause the stomache pain, diahhrea gas and bloating or is it IBS?What can you do about IBS? What about pain in the upper abdomen, it hurts to even touch that area at times. HELP!!!!!!! I am a 45 year old female and only working part time and have a hard time making it through 6 hours a day of work. And once I am home I have no energy to do anything else- My children are on their own and it is just my husband and I and I was really looking forward to these years with him- but I am too sick all the time to enjoy these years.
    Any and all sugestions are appreciated. THANX!
    Debbie
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

You REALLY need to check out Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory website (www.gsdl.com/) and find a dr. who uses their tests. I suffered with terrible IBS-C, and through diet, meds to get rid of yeast and bacterial overgrowth, plus supplements to heal the gut (l-glutamine), I feel I have pretty much conquered IBS. If I get stressed, I still have weaknesses and will feel tummy problems, but other than those times I can eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I want, without trigerring IBS.

Taking all the meds you are taking will not cure the problems, and at best, will only manage them. I got to the point where I was no longer managing them, so I had no choice but to read everything I could get my hands on and then take action. This action included finding a dr. who would go outside the "norm" and get to the ROOT of the problem.

I feel amazing, and I still take lots of supplements, but the meds have dropped down to just things for my thyroid. I do know though, that if I stop the supplements, I feel a definate decrease in energy and a drop in well-being.

If I can be of any additional help, please let me know. I'm sorry I didn't address the supplements, but I think you really need to find a good dr. first. For me, my liver detox test from Great Smokies indicated I had some elevated levels of a substance that is often found in MSM, among other things; I don't know where that came from because I have never taken MSM. So, while I feel its perfectly safe to take many supplements without diagnostic tests, if you are not feeling better with what you are taking, its possible something is exacerbating your situation, even though the supplement, in and of itself, is helpful for most people.

Good luck,
    Annette
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Holy Cow! You are taking an awful lot of magnesium! The total from all your supps. should not be more than 350 mgs. if you are having any diarreha. I am amazed you are having constipation as well with that much Mag.
    Also ,there are many foods you may need to avoid if you have IBS. Just avoid them for two weeks to see if you feel better, then add them back one at a time ,because they are mostly very healthy foods.
    Beans, peas, onions, cauliflower, kale, brocolli, brussel sprouts, and sodas can all make IBS worse. Some people have other foods that trigger problems....for me it is green peppers. Chocolate, coffee, mints and overeating all make GERD worse. You will have to experiment to find out what bothers you. I pretty much eat salads twice daily and broccoli twice weekly with a Gas-X tablet, and avoid all the others on the list, except oinions,which do not bother me. You will have to be a detective, but you will feel a lot better once you figure it out.
    Klutzo
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Rule of thumb is to take half as much mag as Calcium. So if you take 1000mg calcium a day, you should take 500 mg magnesium. It can cause diahrrea initially, but after your system adapts to it, that stops.

Magnesium is wonderful stuff! It's been proven to prevent sudden cardiac death by preventing arterial spasms, plus is used in ER's to open up the airways of asthsma sufferers. (it's injected)All in all good stuff when used properly!

Marilyn :)
  6. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Here is an article I found in my favorite places. Its about 2 years old, and was sent to me by one of the women who participated in this study. I'm sure there's more information available now, but even back then they were suspecting a link between bacterial infections and IBS. She said how her IBS was cured after taking antibiotics. (I tried and tried to copy and paste this but I couldn't do it without the ads and banners, so I'm giving the link to CNN's artice..I hope its not deleted before you read it.)

http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/12/13/bc.health.irritablebowel.reut/index.html

7. sun1

sun1 New Member

Seems like you are taking way too much for sleep.
    I would stop so many meds and focus on one. The ZMA
    and gaba at bedtime with all those meds may have an negative effective. I know when I just took ZMA I had my best sleep. But there is always too much of a good thing..
    I also think you are taking too much magnesium..
    t/c
    Sun

[ advertisement ]