Still somewhat new here and I have a question about "Herx" - (??)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bakron, May 10, 2003.

1. bakron

bakron New Member

I have not heard this term, what is "herxing" or "herx?" I assume from the message content I've been reading that it is a detox of some sort but would like to know what it is. I'm anxious to try anything that might help.

What is a safe method for detoxing? I've heard and read posts, but not sure where to go with this idea. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

You'll get lots of info. It is a reaction to detoxing while your body is getting rid of toxins and infections, etc. But the thread that discusses this is a much better explanation.
  3. bakron

bakron New Member

I reviewed some of the messages and found what it meant. Also reviewed OLE idea, and decided to try it. I appreciate your help with this.

Jeannette
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are two theories about what causes the Herxheimer Effect when massive dieoff of pathogens occurs.

One theory has it that the dead pathogens produce toxins until they can be excreted through the kidneys. This is why we are encouraged to drink lots of water while on medication which kill pathogens or after a massage.

The other theory blams the symptoms of Herxing (feeling like one has the flu with aches, pains, fatigue, and diarrhea) on the patient's own body producing a reaction to the battle between body and pathogens.

I tend to believe in both theories myself, but it's all academic to me. I welcome my Herxing as a sign that the nasty critters using my body for their personal hotel are being killed off and will soon be evicted.

BTW, naturopaths refer to Herxing as a Healing Crisis. Like Grandma used to say, "It has to get worse before it gets better."

Love, Mikie