still waiting to become a part of a support group...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Scoobsmom, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

As Jaimy mentioned about the need to be a part of a support group, made me realize that I still have a strong desire to be in one. I too need an uplifting group of ladies who are able to be transparent and genuine. I have asked if anyone was from Northeast Ohio, seems many of you ladies are from Texas, Fl, and NC... I remain hopeful.... Barb..Smiles and hugs.. any of you want to invite me to the Texas or Florida area from like November to March...HA HA !!!!!!!
  2. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

As Jaimy mentioned about the need to be a part of a support group, made me realize that I still have a strong desire to be in one. I too need an uplifting group of ladies who are able to be transparent and genuine. I have asked if anyone was from Northeast Ohio, seems many of you ladies are from Texas, Fl, and NC... I remain hopeful.... Barb..Smiles and hugs.. any of you want to invite me to the Texas or Florida area from like November to March...HA HA !!!!!!!
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Do you endure through seasonal affective disorder during the winter months? i.e. Nov. to March? I live in south Texas and my oldest, 33, daughter has had SAD forever it seems. The rest of the time she is absolutely non-clinically depressed!

About support groups. I found myself within the last three months desperate for a support group and in this "dusty south Texas town" there is no support group for this cluster of illnesses. I then went looking for a grief support group so I could let go of the on and on grieving I seem to be doing learning to cope with a chronic illness; well, did not find it there; was referred to a social worker!

I have not been yet but the hospital here has a support group for the elderly who have lost their mate; it helps them work through their grief, which must be tremendous.
    Have I thought about starting one myself. Sure. Unfortunately I'll have a couple of good (in terms of FMS) months, then whammo, seems like something comes up that stops me from proceeding. I'm a little down right now trying to get my diabetes regulated while trying to continue to be self-reliant.
    You may try a grief support group. I do wish you the best in finding something that will work for you. Love CactusLil'
  4. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi scoobsmom & CactusLil,

I just went to my first support group meeting yesterday. It was interesting, and I connected with 6 other women experiencing these and other disorders.

YOu know, this meeting I just attended, I remember when the group first started up about 1 year ago. The gal who started it simply posted a message in the local (SMALL town) newspaper. They have a section where non-profits, etc, can post meeting info for free. She secured a meeting room in the local hosp., also for free. Her first add stated she was looking for people with auto-immune disorders interested in meeting once a month (SHE specified the day/time, rather than trying to juggle everyone elses schedules). She said just show up, and I guess she has gotten folks there, enough to have at least a small group, every month with no further advertising. Every meeting she passes around a little notebook for people to add their phone # and email. The day before the meeting, she sends a reminder email to all, or her friend calls the folks with no email. She is VERY ill, too, and this all comes together with little or no fuss. I was really impressed. There was no set agenda, people just discussed their experiences and shared ideas. I passed out the WONDERFUL info booklets available here on this site. They all liked them.

I hope this helps. I'm glad I don't have to do this, but this paln sure sounds easy for anyone interested in starting a group.

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  5. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

Great suggestions ladies...I may consider both! I have considered doing the advertisement before, but actually felt as though I may not be prepared for the formation and running of it, but.. it may work. Smile..... I use to live in West Palm Beach Florida for nearly 11 years, so, no I do not believe I have the SAD, but.. I know what I miss.. the warmth and sunshine that we had year round. But I do not regret moving back to Ohio, met a beautiful man who loves me and I have a precious child. So... I am thankful for all God has blessed me with... Hugs and smiles to you both... Have a terrific day..Barb
  6. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

Dear scoobsmom.......I know how eager you are to get into a support group...but until you find one, you might want to go into the fibro. chat room available on this site. There are so many wonderful people in there. It makes you feel less alone with all we have. Good luck...queenbee69
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Barb:

Where exactly are you from in Ohio? I live in a small town in Michigan called Tecumseh. I was so surprised that we have a support group that meets once a month. We will be meeting this coming Monday. But maybe that's too far for you to drive. This group also includes people who just have arthritis. I can give you more info if you are interested.

Ellen