STIMULANTS/ADDERAL

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by andrea1459, Jan 31, 2006.

1. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

I was wondering if stimulants (esp adderal) has helped anyone with CFS. I am housebound and they think it will help. I tried 10 mg for one day before and was up for 2 1/2 days climbing my walls..so this time im going to cut the pill into fourths..
  2. kimbadee

kimbadee New Member

Would it be a better alternative than adderal? I don't have experience with either but have been considering trying to get rx.
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I have adderall in my arsenal .... I also have provigil in my arsenal .... obviously don't take them in the same day though .....

Between the two of them, adderall works best for me. It not only helps with the excessive daytime sleepiness, but it also helps ease my brain fog, short term memory and word search. I have read many times that Dr. Charles Lapp rx'es adderall for that purpose .... help with cognitive problems.

Provigil does it's job, but I am always aware that I have taken a pill for daytime sleepiness .... not bad, just aware.

I switch back and forth with these drugs every few days as to not become accustomed to either one and be left without EDS treatment.

I consider these "quality of life" drugs .... I made the decision early on that I wanted some semblance of a life while I was treating all the disregulated systems.

Lately though, I have not had to use much .... I have been leaning more towards small amounts of adderall, not so much for the stimulant effect against sleepiness, but for the brain boosting effects.

I started with very little doses of add. and built up gradually to the dose most effective for me. I also love that I can break it down into any amount I want ...

I would suggest not getting the generic if possible. Although they are scored, whenever I went to break them in half or quaters the remaining pill would crumble. Quite a waste of my money .... I sometimes felt like I was dealing with baking soda. It didn't seem nearly as effective either.

It was worth the expense to me to by-pass insurance and pay cash for my prescription .... This way I made certain I received the medication I wanted.

I hope this helps you ....

Take care,

Elsa

4. Golde58

Golde58 New Member

and it really does help me with faux energy. My doctor prescribed it for me whenever I worked parttime and I would take it only whenever I needed help finishing out the work day and driving home. The downside, I would use up all my energy while on it and then I would be bedridden the next day or so. I relate it to having only 1 cup of energy and I could use it up slowly over a period of time doing things in moderation)or if I took the adderal I would use up my cup of energy within a few hours and not be able to do anything for a few days. Therefore, I take it wisely.

I wish you well and hope it gives you the extra boast you may need.

Take Care,

Kim
  5. kimbadee

kimbadee New Member

How do these medications affect your sleep? From midnight on I am awake at least once an hour, sometimes I am awake for 2 hours before I can get back to sleep. Needless to say I feel like crap during the day. What effect do these drugs have on the sleep problems associated with fibro?
  6. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

I tried the adderral, and it made me clench and grind my teeth , i felt like i was on drugs!
    So i will retire the medicine to the cabinet.
    I also wake up at night and am only sleeping 7 hours a night , I think im going to up trazadone to 100mg..i did much better on 10 hours of sleep then 7.