Stimulants for FIBRO Fog/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jack~San, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Jack~San

Jack~San New Member

Aloha Friday!

I am very impressed with your CFS/FMS Pro–Health Web Site. This is my first post at this site.

Unfortunately, I am now one of the few men that have been cursed with FBS/CFS/CPS for the last 3 years: after being hit by cement Truck; which resulted in 3 spinal surgeries. Prior to accident I was in great shape both physically and mentally. Now I find it quie j
    extremely difficult
    ust to get out of bed.

I recently retired from the U.S. Navy after 30 years. I am attempting to go back to graduate school, since I still have the old "Vietnam GI Bill" that pays for everything.

My dilemma,"is that it is becoming extremely difficult for me to concentrate and stay focused in class." Not to mention having the energy to keep up with all the homework. I’m finding out that going bak to the Univsity is easier said than done!

I have a new provider and she,aggreed to put me on a trai does of Adderall (5mg BID). It's an Amphetamine, similar to Ritalin. I am finding out that is truley helping with my congnition out if it helps with the Fibro-Fog and also helps me concentrate better.

This is my second month and so far it does seem to help a little but I feel the dosage is so low it puts me into many peeks and valleys of mental activity.

F. Y. I. Additionally, for the chronic pain, I am currently on MS-Contin (60mg Q6) which doesn’t work as good as Oxycontin (80mg Q6) {which I was on for the past two + years} but I find that I am not misusing it (MS-Contin) or running out of it at the end of the month and wanting to “travel to the next level of spiritual being”, like I did on Oxycontin when the dreded withdraws which would come late in the nonth. F Y I !!!

Sorry I got a little off the subject! But I felt like exposing Oxycontin and revealing some of the serious problems it can get you into if you misuse it. Please don’t get me wrong, it is the best pain med on the market but it is also the easiest to misuse and abuse.

Anyway, back the z'main post question!***LOL*** "Has anyone found that adding a stimulant to your daily meds helps clear out the dreaded F~Fog and also gives you enough energy to get through a productive day?"

Thanks in advance for sharing any information!!!

Jack

2. Jack~San

Jack~San New Member

Aloha Friday!

I am very impressed with your CFS/FMS Pro–Health Web Site. This is my first post at this site.

Unfortunately, I am now one of the few men that have been cursed with FBS/CFS/CPS for the last 3 years: after being hit by cement Truck; which resulted in 3 spinal surgeries. Prior to accident I was in great shape both physically and mentally. Now I find it quie j
    extremely difficult
    ust to get out of bed.

I recently retired from the U.S. Navy after 30 years. I am attempting to go back to graduate school, since I still have the old "Vietnam GI Bill" that pays for everything.

My dilemma,"is that it is becoming extremely difficult for me to concentrate and stay focused in class." Not to mention having the energy to keep up with all the homework. I’m finding out that going bak to the Univsity is easier said than done!

I have a new provider and she,aggreed to put me on a trai does of Adderall (5mg BID). It's an Amphetamine, similar to Ritalin. I am finding out that is truley helping with my congnition out if it helps with the Fibro-Fog and also helps me concentrate better.

This is my second month and so far it does seem to help a little but I feel the dosage is so low it puts me into many peeks and valleys of mental activity.

F. Y. I. Additionally, for the chronic pain, I am currently on MS-Contin (60mg Q6) which doesn’t work as good as Oxycontin (80mg Q6) {which I was on for the past two + years} but I find that I am not misusing it (MS-Contin) or running out of it at the end of the month and wanting to “travel to the next level of spiritual being”, like I did on Oxycontin when the dreded withdraws which would come late in the nonth. F Y I !!!

Sorry I got a little off the subject! But I felt like exposing Oxycontin and revealing some of the serious problems it can get you into if you misuse it. Please don’t get me wrong, it is the best pain med on the market but it is also the easiest to misuse and abuse.

Anyway, back the z'main post question!***LOL*** "Has anyone found that adding a stimulant to your daily meds helps clear out the dreaded F~Fog and also gives you enough energy to get through a productive day?"

Thanks in advance for sharing any information!!!

Jack

3. fibolady

fibolady New Member

you really did get "hit with a cement truck" i just had to add that in since one of our favorite replies to "how do you feel" is "we feel like we were run over by a truck" when we wake up in the morning.

welcome to the board, it will be nice to have another man on board to share experiences with from a different view point! i don't have any information on the adderall, but glad it is helping you. going back to graduate school, that is something!

warm regards, fibolady
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Just wanted to pop in and say, hello! I will be waiting for an update on your Adderall. One of the most frustrating aspects of this, in my life, is the increasing impairment of my cognitive abilities. Most of the meds I am currently taking, are contributing to this dilema. One must treat the pain, and lack of sleep issues, though. Please keep us updated, and best wishes in your studies!
    Karen
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

I am very successful with 20 mg Ritalin SR(time release) and 15 mg mehthylphenidate (I believe this is the generic name for the normal Ritalin) and other meds I am taking. The Ritalin has been great in dealing with all the cognitive problems we are having with CFS/FM and also is helping the terrible fatigue as well. Without it, I would not be able to a lot of things, I enjoy. Hope, you will have the same luck and I wish you well. Lucky