Stimulants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by minkeygirl, May 3, 2003.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Hi, new to the board but not to CFS. I've been trying different stimulants since ritalin SR has stopped working. I like adderal for the 5 hours it works, energy and mental clarity, bu the other 5 while it leaves my body are a nightmare, brain fog, jitters. I tried Provigil, but only for a few days. I found it really did not give me the jolt i think i need from the short acting meds (regular ritalin only works for 2 hours) but I was awake. Does anyone who has been on Provigil for longer think that it just takes time for your body to acclimate? Without a stimlulant I'm almost completely housebound. Thanks.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know whether or not you saw my posts on the Provigil, but it had a paradoxical effect on me. I kept halving the dose and still it made me drowsy and foggy headed.

I'm wondering how you feel in general about stimulants since it seems that so many of us are already in a slight state of seizure. Don't most stimulants just exacerbate this problem? I am finding that if I put 1/4 of a Klonopin tablet under my tongue twice a day and take the larger dose at night, it is helping with my alertness.

When I was in total remission while on the Famvir, I was as alert as a youngster. My balance was great, and I had no pain. It was like a miracle, like I'd never been sick. I am researching Herpes-family viruses and antiviral treatments like crazy and my new doc is supposed to be doing the same.

I have come to the conslusion that we are all still healthy underneath this veil of sickness, if we can just find the right treatment. A woman who was in complete remission from CFIDS which had kept her bedridden for years told me that everything had come back to her, including memories which she thought were lost forever.

Good luck in your search for something that will help you.

Love, Mikie
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Hi, my PCP who is great but doesn't know much about CFS got me a sample of strattera. It works on the noreprinephrine. I took 40 mgs a day and really wasn't much better than ritalin SR. I woke this a.m. and my chest still hurt from adderall jitters so I was afraid to take it, but i took 10mgs (I usualy take 20) since I remembered seeing on a ADHD site you need to titrate up. I feel ok..not gonna run marathons and still fogged (caffeine usually helps that) so will move up slowly. I hate this since I have no RX benefits with my insurance so I have to have generic. I do know for those in the same boat you can get free provigil through NORD. Eli Lilly also has a program for low income for Strattera. Jan
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Hi Milkie, well, i do agree with you however without stimulants I would be housebound probably 28 days of the month. I moved last month after a move the year before so I'm still in relapse. So for me, at this point, I'm willing to take the risk and get some relief. I also have almost no help so I really need to be able to get out.

I took klonopin for awhile. It never gave me energy or helped me sleep directly but it did quiet down the constant clutter in my brain. It eventually stopped working.

I'm so stressed right now I know it's not helping but I just don't care right now.

please tell me about Famvir. Jan
  5. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

my belief is staterra is probably mostly NADH...
    what is the expence of Staterra..
    NADH is expesive..
    i take 10 mg on an empty stomache first thing in the AM..its magnificient...
    its expensive tho its over the counter..
    so i buy the larger mg and cut it in half..
    Ritalin SR is weaker than regular Ritalin taken more often during the day..
    i stopped with the SR myself...

Amy
  6. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

my belief is staterra is probably mostly NADH...
    what is the expence of Staterra..
    NADH is expesive..
    i take 10 mg on an empty stomache first thing in the AM..its magnificient...
    its expensive tho its over the counter..
    so i buy the larger mg and cut it in half..
    Ritalin SR is weaker than regular Ritalin taken more often during the day..
    i stopped with the SR myself...

Amy
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Famvir is an antiviral med for Herpes-family viruses. It was given to me prior to facial surgery to prevent cold sores.

Love, Mikie
  8. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

I think I tried NADH years ago without much luck, but I probably also didn't take enough. I havent had a lot of benefit from supplements like NADH, melatonin..I did try hydroxycobalamin injections for 3 months per dr. Cheney's protocol and that did nothing either. I will look into NADH though. Thanks
  9. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Sandy, That stuff is amping you because it has ephedrine in it!!! Personally i'd rather take a stimulant since we know ephedra is causing serious problems. GNC is taking all products with ephedra off the market in June.
  10. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

i am the same way with Allegra..it has ephidrene or a stimulant in it and i used to take it for that affect..
    NOW however it PUTS ME TO SLEEP.
    decongestants have a speed affect..
    i am not sure if the fact that it now puts me to sleep is immunity towards it or do to my switch in SSRIs to Lexapro
    Amy
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I asked Madwolf about this because I noticed that my Allegra D has pseudoephedrine in it. He says they are not the same thing.

Love, Mikie
  12. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Not sure where I heard but my understanding was they were the same. Jan
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That the Allegra does ramp me up, but I don't think it carries the same risks as ephedrine. I'll see if I can find the post.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Pseudoephidrine 04/16/03 03:27 PM

There is a huge difference between ephidrine and pseudoephidrine(PSE) in safety. I use PSE every day to keep my sinuses open. It does enlarge the prostate, diminishing stream, but that won't bother you.

What will bother you is that PSE is a sal. Or so I am told. You might want to check it out.

I tend not to use antihystamines. They are quite drying, and can set you up for sinusitis. I prefer something like Flonase or Nasonex to keep the nose open.

madwolf
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sudafed is great. On the con side, it is illegal in many places to be purchased in "mass" quanity--I kid you not! As it CAN be converted to a form of illecit speed. Just takes a chemist with a little knowledge--Sudafed is safe however--it can sometimes raise the blood pressure a little in sensitive indivduals. I have taken it for years long-term, to no ill effect. So have many people. It has been around for a long time and has been well studied.

What types of allergies do you have? Mostly congested or mostly runny nose? Sudafed is a Godsend for congestion, as I have nasal polyps and basically am stuck on nasal sprays permanantly. It's a viscious cycle. But you have to weigh the pros and cons. If you can't breath through your nose than that really reduces the quality of your life, not to mention set you up for more respitory infections. If you are mostly the runny nose type of allergies, I like Allegra in the day and Benadryl at night. Definetly, Intranasal inhalers are very safe short and if needed, long-term. My prefered stock are: Nasonex, Flonase and my favorite, Rhinocort Aqua, tops the list because it has no additives, can be taken as only 1 spray a day, has no after taste and some studies actually show it is marginally better for the congestive types of sinus problems. I believe this might be because it has more systematic absorption, though minimal.

If you dont have insurance, don't waste your money on over-priced me to antihistamines like Clarinex. Claritin (loratadine)is available OTC and now as a generic...it is getting cheaper.

Patents on the intransal steroids are ready to expire and soon you will be seeing generics.

BTW, that boost of energy which is so taboo to mention in the medical field is a true, mild euphoria that some experience from the rush dopamine being released. Fear not, a lot of patients hide this from thier doctors but It happens too often too ignore, is harmless and non-addictive. Unfortuantly, the "rush" tends to fade in time.

The Hindi use a "neti" pot. Basically, saline water they snort to flush the sinues. It's supposed to work wonders on not just allergies but infections. I don't know anyone who has used it or seen any studies. The Indians swear by it.
    To westerners the idea of snorting salt water is not too joyous. I myself dont want to take the extra time to do it.

16. minkeygirl

minkeygirl New Member

Hi, glad to have people to talk to about this stuff. One of the things I want to talk about is my neuroproblems, which are significant. The fact that i figured how to post is huge, but that's about all I've figured out.

Can someone tell me how to disengage the flag that sends me an email everytime someone posts? I'm really overwhelmed with all the emails.

Thanks alot, more on the neuro later.

Jan