Stinging hands/feet and spasms....UPDATE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karenanne, Sep 21, 2002.

1. karenanne

karenanne New Member

Last Tuesday my neck, shoulder, shoulder socket and arm went into the worst spasm I've ever had. It just got worse and worse. Nothing helped.

I got an emeregency appointment yesterday to see my cranial osteopath and that has helped enormously. The 'edge' has been taken off but I still have phenomenal pain and movement restriction.

What has happened since is my hands and feet both feel as though I have plunged them into a bucket filled with stinging ants. They sting and burn, prickle and tingle.

I think this could be either a serious flare of a peripheral neuropathy and/or a trapped or impinged nerve.

Nothing I've done helps. Nothing eases it. I've never had anything quite this severe and am wondering if anyone else has similar experiences or knowledge of and any advise about what might help?

I've taken cocodomaol (codeine with paracetamol), klonipin, which has always worked for a much much lesser type of burning I've had in my feet only. But this is different.

Confused and a bit frightened.
    Karenanne
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2002]
  2. karenanne

karenanne New Member

Last Tuesday my neck, shoulder, shoulder socket and arm went into the worst spasm I've ever had. It just got worse and worse. Nothing helped.

I got an emeregency appointment yesterday to see my cranial osteopath and that has helped enormously. The 'edge' has been taken off but I still have phenomenal pain and movement restriction.

What has happened since is my hands and feet both feel as though I have plunged them into a bucket filled with stinging ants. They sting and burn, prickle and tingle.

I think this could be either a serious flare of a peripheral neuropathy and/or a trapped or impinged nerve.

Nothing I've done helps. Nothing eases it. I've never had anything quite this severe and am wondering if anyone else has similar experiences or knowledge of and any advise about what might help?

I've taken cocodomaol (codeine with paracetamol), klonipin, which has always worked for a much much lesser type of burning I've had in my feet only. But this is different.

Confused and a bit frightened.
    Karenanne
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2002]
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I experienced the same thing, through the neck, shoulder, and radiating down my right arm to my hand, about 5 months ago. Feet were not involved tho....Ended up taking an MRI...which did show it to be a nerve prob. Neurosurgeon said a wait and watch approach was best, which was fine w/ me, as surgery, I believed was going to really set off a flare. Glad to report a month later--that excruciating pain subsided. I do have much "discomfort" in those areas now...but they seem to be fibro related as they appear after over-exertion etc. and the pain is much different, not my pulling my hair out, babbling and crying, type...lol...just a damn! that hurts type.
    Karen
  4. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I don't want to scare you or anything like that but I experienced the same thing down my left side and the end result now is the pinky finger and ring finger all the way to the wrist on my left hand are completely numb. I can still move them but really have to think about the movement and can still type but just can't feel the keys under my fingers and have to watch them and make sure they are doing what my brain is telling them to do. I have had evoked potential test and EMG and the doc said that I have ulnar nerve compression but that it is not bad enough to go in surgically and release it yet. I'm thinking how much worse does it have to be, completely paralyzed?!!!
    I also take klonopin but it did not work for this time. Like I said I didn't want to scare you but just to tell you what my outcome was.
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa
  5. karenanne

karenanne New Member

Karen, what did you take or do while it was active that helped or eased the sensations?

Terese, this is my worry. Since I had major abdominal surgery, I've had symptoms that are consistent with several sorts or neuropathy.

The neuro I saw made a vague offer of an EMG, though when I asked here about it, the overall feeling seems to be that unless it is really essential, then dont have one because it is not pleasant. But there is a 2 year waiting list so it's hardly going to help me now.

Up until this recent flare with this strange spasm, all my nerve and neuropathic symptoms seemed to be below the waist and mostly affecting lumbar region down. This is new and frightening.

I do know that whoever that I go and see about it is going to be snotty and dismissive. I just don't dare present new symptoms any more because I seem to have so many of them and I cant handle much more in the way of dismissive responses. I already got into a lot of trouble for losing my temper....

And that is a bad place to be, and appalling doctoring that makes me feel that.

Ho hum...cant win and cant seem to find answers. The UK is really bad about CFS and FM...(psychological...that's the prevailing attitude) and it just makes you feel like giving in.

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I appreciate it very much.
    Karenanne

I feel helpless to take action and, as is ever the situation, you always need to have the strength, stamina and energy to stand up for yourself when yopu least have it.
  6. karenanne

karenanne New Member

I most certainly will. I see my cranial practitioner regularly and shall be shortly. Thanks for that advice.

In the times before you can get an appointment, is there anything you do that does ease the symptoms?
    Hugs
    Karenanne
  7. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

Hi KarenAnne, I've had the neuropothy problems for almost three years in my hands and forearms. Mine is caused by bulging discs in my neck damaging the nerves. And, yes, I do also get those awful spasms, the worst time it happens is when I'm in church, as I'm in the choir and everyone can see me suffering.
    I have found that a combination of things can ease the problem; I use moist heat on the are of the discs along with 100 mg Ultram 4 times a day plus 200mg Celebrex for the inflamation. These things don't completely do away with the burning and numbness but they do take the edge off and make me a little more comfortable. I also sleep on a waterbed, with no resistance from the mattress and the heated water, I can avoid the inevitable pain sometimes.
    I hope you are feeling better soon. It's the pits when you can't feel anything in your hands (and dangerous, be careful around the kitchen knives).
    God bless,
    Deena
  8. chrissy

chrissy New Member

dear Karenanne you're right, don't rush to get an EMG> I had one, it was TORTURE for 45 minutes this doctor poked me with needles from the back of my head all the way to my right hand and between fingers. Every time he would stick a needle in the nerve he would wiggle it to check the response. I was sobbing and squirming on the table. Then he told me " I 'm sorry, I don't know what is wrong because your nerves are responding very well" I felt like a complete idiot to let this guy torture me when i was already in severe pain and FOR NOTHING. Most EMGS are useless. When you don't respond it means that the nerve is completed pinged or cut or severed and you are paralyzed. Don't wait until it happens. Chiropractors can be very helpful. Sometimes cold packs on the area can bring you relief because they relieve swelling. Cold packs work for nerve impingements. Hot packs work to relieve muscles.
    Hope this helped.!
  9. karenanne

karenanne New Member

To recap a bit.

I did ring my cranial osteo as you all suggested, and he thought it was unlikely to be a trapped or impinged nerve because it was happening in hands and feet. Said he thought it was something systemic, and to see my doc.

Just got back. The doc said that he thought it was something metabolic. And I have just had a lot of blood drawn (felt like a lot, anyway!) for U&E's. Calcium, FBC/PV (to do with blood viscocity), glucose levels and something called Urate. Not sure what that is but can hazard a working guess.

He also thought that my blood was in an acid state...which fact I had experienced with the biurning in my armpit when doing a small task in the garden. My armpits were raw...burning in fact. That has happened before. I think it's the same thing which turns perfume on me to ammonia. An acid-alkaline reaction.

So, he said to take some asprin to help with blood viscocity, anti-inflammatories if I can/am allowed and can tolerate them. Drink plenty and ring him on Friday.

So, that's the next step.

Meanwhile I just have to wait and try and cope with the symptoms one at a time...right now my hands are prickling and going numb...so had best go and rest and take some painpills.

Thank you all for the input and support, the advice and the caring.
    Hugs,
    Karenanne
  10. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Just read her profile. What a beautiful spirit. I feel so unfortunate not to have had the opportunity to know her.

My thoughts and prayers are with her family!

Love & Light, Laurie