Stomach bloat w/ ulcers or gallbladder disease ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tandy, Jun 8, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~
    I'm still trying to figure out whats causing this stomach pain.
    For every symptom I have,... when I look it up it points to either possible gallbladder or peptic ulcers. (such as indigestion,upper stomach pain, increased gas, etc.)

For those DX with either condition,.... was being bloated an issue too? I can't seem to find bloat as a symptom of either one.

Tandy
  2. poets

poets Member

I haven't had gallbladder disease myself, but one of my best friends did, and she used to bloat terribly. She looked like she was pregnant. It stopped after her gallbladder was removed.
  3. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I have problems with my gallbladder, and I bloat a lot. It took two years, finally found it on a Hida Scan. I am reluctant to have it out, but am getting very close.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Bloat can be from gallbladder problems. I had many of those symptoms when I had gallbladder problems. I had my gallbladder removed and the symptoms went away.

Definitely get your gallbladder checked, if you have gallbladder problems that go unchecked they can cause very bad problems. My SIL had hers go necrotic on her cause she kept putting off surgery and both of my husband's parents had their gallbladders rupture. It can be very serious.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I had gallbladder problems and surgery in Nov 2006. The surgeon told me many doctors fail to diagnose gallstones because the symptoms can vary so much.

I never had the classic symptoms - you can easily rule out gallstone with a simple 10 minute ultrasound.

When they checked me I was loaded with stones. I could not wait for surgery. Looking back, I am sure I had the stones for years. Yes, I had bloating, sometimes nausea, everything you can imagine.

If you have not had one, I am sure the doctor will want to do a endoscopy. I have had three in the years before they finally diagnosed the gallstones. Once I had the gallbladder out, I am much better.
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

each day of this is getting on my last nerve.

At times it seems to ease up, then 2 hrs later I'm hurting again. pain meds hardly help~

I suppose I gotta make that call to the drs.
    (big sigh) cause I hate to go for tests.

thank so much
  7. sweed07

sweed07 New Member

I had the same problems. Once when I had Ulcers, and then when my doctor found that I had Gallbladder trouble as well as Gall Stones.These were years apart of course, but I had a lot of bloating and pain right in the middle of my stomach. And feeling really gassy. Do follow through with everyone's advice and have the tests. But be sure you get a good doc who will not only take the Gallbladder but also the Stones. Those stones can really cause problems if not removed.
    My doctor now is thinking that maybe not all the stones were removed or found when I had my Gallbladder out three years ago. Now I'm going through more tests, with the possibility of having Pancreatitis. Please get checked and take care.

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  8. xphile

xphile New Member

I was just 19 when my doctor thought I had a stomach ulcer because I would wake up with pain so bad I couldn't sit up, but I couldn't lie down either. I was also VERY BLOATED! I finally got an ultrasound and it showed I had gallstones. I had my gall bladder removed through laproscopic surgery and the pain and bloating disappeared. I hope this helps! I had 7 stones blocking my bile duct and my gall bladder was swelling like when you have a complete blockage with a kidney stone. Keep us posted.

Hugs,
    Adam
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

your comments & sharing your experiences helps me alot.

I KNOW in my gut that its one or the other,... ulcer or gallbladder. whatever the case,... it hurts and keeps reaccuring. earlier today the pain had eased somewhat,
    now its back full force.
    The gastro dr. can't get me in till july 1st. !!!!
    yea.
    If it gets much worse i'll walk my lil butt into the ER.

will keep you posted~
    I have no-one else to complain to :)
    (well,..no-one that wants to hear about it)

Hugs
    Tandy
  10. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Oh Tandy, HUGE HUGS FROM ME!

I too am dealing with unexplained stomach/abdominal pain right now ... and I too thought it was gallbladder or ulcers ... started about 7.5 weeks ago actually.

Since it started I've been run through a HUGE list of tests ... including Hide-A scan (don't know how to spell), ultrasound, CT scan, upper endoscopy (to look for ulcers or acid damage) and numerous blood tests ... and everything came back perfectly clear/normal. Hooray, but ARGH! at the same time.

I feel your pain (and frustration)! Pain meds (I have a script for vicodin) hardly help me either- dulls it for about two hours when I'm having a bad attack.

I feel pressure and bloating too ... especially after eating. Do you feel pain after eating greasy or fatty foods? That's a particular clue it's a gallbladder issue. How long do your "attacks" last? And do any particular foods trigger it? Pain and bloating following the eating of wheat products (ANY grains sometimes) can be due to a gluten intolerance ...

I've essentially researched all the potential possibilities given this list of symptoms.If you want. you can share more symptoms and I will brainstorm with you. :) Might as well have another mind to share our thoughts with.

Again, hugs!
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Before I had my gallbladder removed, I used to have gas, bloating, belching, and acid reflux. The thing is that the bloating was high up, just under my boobs. I looked like I was in the early stages of pregnancy. So, while this may not help your diagnosis, it may help to know that GB problems can cause bloating.

BTW, it took a long time to get my dx. It wasn't until every other test was done that they did the nuclear medicine test which shows the gallbladder at work. Mine wasn't working at all.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  12. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I had lots of bloating with gastritis, an ulcer and gallbladder problem all at different times. In case you don't know the hida scan is the test for gallbladder function. Some have no stones and no function. Try to get an accurate diagnosis if possible. Blood tests can help with diagnosing pancreatitis and h-pylori-seen in gastritis and some ulcers.
    If it is a gallbladder issue you can look at gallbladder attack sites and for myself it was the concentrated beet products that helped the most--betafood-standard process or I believe beet root by nature's way.

For the ulcer I did the antibiotic protocol which if I remember correctly was bactrim and flagyl. It worked well. The diagnosis was done thru a blood test-h-pylori.

For my leaky gut and IBS I use products like Gastsromend-hp and Gi-revive by designs for health, ph balance enzymes, and ultraclear sustain-metagenics -which may not be appropriate for some-depending on diagnosis. Protein and fat products may not be tolerated or even be harmful in some diagnosis so getting the right diagnosis is key as I am sure you know.
    ruby
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

thids back up top.
    To thanks each of you for your input :)

and in hopes I'll respond more so later on today.(I have no time at the moment)

thanks again,
    Tandy
  14. willas

willas New Member

It should be pretty easy to tell. If it's ulcers, taking an antacid such a pepcid will provide relief. Root beer or ginger ale also provides relief. If you suspect ulcer, sometimes increasing your protein intake will help, things such as eggs, chicken, fish but not red meat.
    If you're also experiencing fever along with the pain, it's probably gallbladder. Once the fever starts, it's important for it to be addressed quickly. And remember that you can have gallbladder disease without stones. The only symptom I had until I developed a fever was back pain so I thought I had just pulled something. My gallbladder had completely shut down & I had no stones at all. Once the fever started, I called my doctor & after telling him all my symptoms, he sent me straight to the er & my gallbladder was removed the next day.
    Good luck to you. Hope you're feeling better soon.
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

I hope I spelled that correct?

so sorry your going thru all this too. Its discouraging for sure when you can't find the problem to your pains.

I really can't link my stomach pains to any particular foods. ?? what kills my gut me one time, may not the next time. Soooo many things set the pain off.

and when it hits it can last for a few hrs,.. to a few days. Sometimes I think I have 2 things going on at once. ??? because it seems too painful to be just 1 thing. unless its something known to be horribly painful.
    plus,.. seems my whole/entire belly is involved.
    From my lower ribs to my hip bones.(maybe its radiating?)

Have you thought of, or been tested for Crohns, or ulcerative colitis?? (spelling may be off)
    My testing has'nt even begun so I have no clue,.. other than my own researching and coming up with gallbladder,ulcers and the 2 I mentioned to you above.
    I do have IBS,.. but this is NOT IBS.

possibly food allergys?? I'm just thinking out loud now.
    When the pain gets its worse I can feel it straight thru to my back. and I almost feel the need to sit up straighter cause theres pressure under my ribcage.(and center)

My bowels can be erratic during these episodes too.
    ranging from constipation to more so diareah.
    (violent too) meaning,... I need to get there fast!
    and it kinda just flys out of me. (sorry for the graphics)

anyhow,.. on a sweeter note :)
    ,... Its nice to have someone to wrack my brains over this with.
    Thanks again and let me know what you think,.. does any of this sound like what your going thru??

take care
    Tandy

16. tandy

tandy New Member

back up top.
  17. tandy

tandy New Member

and I'm clear on that one.
    Thanks for suggesting that tho, because it is getting quite more common and should be considered possible with intestinal problems.
    although,.... during the testing phase I did stop all breads and pastas and kinda felt less IBS symptoms.

I stopped for 9 weeks. (I think) and it was rough :)

thanks for responding~
    Tandy

18. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Even though you were tested for celiac a few years ago, you may have it now. People's villi will heal a bit when they remove gluten and when they start eating it again, the villi will get damaged again.

My GI track was a mess when I finally was put on the elimination diet. Now I'm fine unless I get carried about with a food and eat too much of it.

Have you tried digestive enzymes or probiotics ? These can help most digestive problems.

BTW. I had my GB out in 2004 and it didn't help at all. I can eat fats now without any problem.

HTH ... Marcia
  19. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Maybe I missed it Tandy, but have you seen a doctor about this pain? There are scans they can do to rule out whether it's your liver or pancreas, gallbladder, etc. Having such widespread pain could be an indication of a lot of different things ... one of your organs could be having spasms which sends pain into different areas ... such pain could indicate some pretty serious things that need to be checked out (that's why I was run through so many tests).

I don't think what I'm dealing with is colitis or Chron's because my pain is very specific high up in my body, not lower in my GI tract.

It feels like I'm having a spasm or cramp of some sort deep inside my body. I feel the pain through to my back too, but my pain is in a very specific place right under where my ribs come together.

My current hypothesis is that I'm having esophageal spasms after eating (my esophagus cramps up after I eat a lot of food or after laying down for awhile, like when I've frequently woken up with this pain before out of a deep sleep).

One of my nurse practitioner's suggested I go off of one of my meds which may have caused this as a side effect ... so I've been off that med for 5 nights now. I am having a "good patch" right now of barely any tightness, pressure or pain ... but that might be due to being off the med, starting "bio-energy" work or the cumulative effects of other things I've been doing. Who knows! I just hope it lasts.

Have to run ... that's my update. How are you doing??
  20. ulala

ulala New Member

please read this. This quote is from the article below.
    I took it and put it up front so that the article gets read.

"We decided to test Fibromyalgia patients to confirm that they, too, had this overgrowth, and tests established that a bacteria overgrowth was, indeed, present."

Dr. Pimentel Warns Patients That an Overgrowth of Bacteria Poses Potential Chronic Health Risks
    Market Wire, May, 2007
    E-mail Print Link According to Dr. Mark Pimentel (Dr. SIBO), author of the best-selling book, "A New IBS Solution," SIBO (Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth) is now linked to many chronic health conditions.

Dr. Mark Pimentel, the director of the Gastrointestinal Motility Program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, states that while SIBO is a known cause of IBS, it is also now shown to be a possible cause of many other serious, chronic health conditions. In addition to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, some of the other conditions linked to SIBO include: Fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis, Fatigue, Hypoglycemia, and Gynecological problems.

More
    Articles of Interest
    Landmark Book Attributes Overgrowth of Bacteria to Chronic Health Conditions
    The treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth with enteric-coated...
    Intestinal yeast and bacterial overgrowth
    How can I relieve IBS? Flush away irritable bowel syndrome with these simple...
    Probiotics Help Adult Weight Loss After Bariatric Surgery Related Results
    Intestinal yeast and bacterial overgrowth
    Landmark Book Attributes Overgrowth of Bacteria to Chronic Health Conditions
    The treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth with enteric-coated...
    Treatment of patients with irritable bowel syndrome
    Letter to the editor - Letter to the Editor
    Dr. Pimentel describes in his new book, "A New IBS Solution," that there is a tremendous overlap between IBS and Fibromyalgia. "This correlation led us to investigate this link further. We decided to test Fibromyalgia patients to confirm that they, too, had this overgrowth, and tests established that a bacteria overgrowth was, indeed, present."

Additionally, Dr. Pimentel concluded based on similar studies that other common conditions are also caused by the presence of an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine.

Dr. Pimentel has been studying the complexities of IBS and SIBO for over a decade and now offers new, desperately sought-after, hope for the millions suffering. Dr. Pimentel's Revolutionary new treatment, dubbed "The Cedars-Sinai Protocol," is currently available throughout the country.

Dr. Mark Pimentel is available for interviews to share his information about SIBO, his treatment protocol, and chronic health conditions.

Contact: David Knight Health Point Press 818-788-2040 http://www.anewibssolution.com

12Next ยป