STOMACH BLOATING..Possible Causes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moab341, Mar 21, 2007.

1. moab341

moab341 New Member

Can someone please tell me what would cause me to bloat up like I am 7 months pregnant?
    I have started probiotics and vitamins but this is an issue I have had for a very long time which has only gotten worse.
    I can say, It has nothing to do with over eating.

It feels like my stomach can't stretch any bigger and hurts all the way to my back.

Does anyone else have this, or know what might cause it?
    Roni

2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I know when I have a flare of diverticulitus, my stomach bloats. It's gas and whatever.

Just another thing to check out.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Sue
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I know a few Gyno related problems have bloating (alot of bloating) as a main symptom.
    Do you have any pain with it?

Gastro troubles are something to consider too.

Best of luck to you
    Tandy
  4. TallMOM

TallMOM New Member

I have the same problem! It comes and goes now. My doctor and I have never found what causes it. My weight goes up and down, same as my blood pressure. My liver is bad.
    I am always surprised to read about another problem I thought I only had.
    Lets hope some one knows what we can do.
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Try staying away from all processed foods and steer clear of additivies. If a scientist has touched it, don't eat it.
  6. ptgibbs

ptgibbs New Member

Personally, I think it goes with Fibro. When I have a Flare Up of Fibro, I usually have a flare up of IBS and sometimes gastro. Sounds crazy, but it happens every time.
    Pat in Texas
  7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Sorry to hear you are bloating. Are you taking new meds or drinking/eating something you normally don't? I have a hard time taking vitamins, but they didn't cause bloating ... just stomach upset. Are you drinking lots of water and going potty alot? Hopefully it will pass soon.
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

Could be diverticulitis,colitis, or irritable bowel syndrome. You might look some info. up on the computer reguarding these. Sounds like irritable bowel syndrome. I have this and it gets worse when my nerves are bad.

Kriket
  9. PrariWolf

PrariWolf New Member

Please take your symptoms seriously and insist to your doc that the reason be found. In the midst of other symptoms, I had bloating as well. It was finally found to be ascites from ovarian cancer, discovered at a late stage due to my doctor's indifference.
  10. moab341

moab341 New Member

I do have IBS and when it flares the bloating gets worse.

I have had a full hysterectomy including my ovaries out, so It's not that.

Stomach problems are what started this whole mess..the Gastro Doc ran every known test and everything checked out ok except h-pylori which I've been treated for.

I still have problems and take a med called Glycopyrrolate.
    It's a stomach tranquilizer I take when the pain is bad. Nothing else has worked but this.
    It's not a tranquilizer in the way you'd think...it just blocks pain in the stomach.
    I don't know what I'd do without it, but it doesn't help with the darn bloating.

Probiotics shouldn't make it worse should it?
    I started on those last week thinking it might help.

Thanks for everyone's input! Roni

11. moab341

moab341 New Member

I've started eating healthier, like less processed foods and lots of organic meats and veggies.
    I've always eaten low carbs because I don't do well with them...they cause me to gain weight fast and also to bloat up.
    Maybe getting healthy is making it worse first???
  12. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

that it might be yeast?

I know several people on the boards have mentioned they have an internal yeast overgrowth problem, and the connection to carbs making the bloating worse certainly sounds like what I've read about yeast.

I think there is an anti-yeast diet and some people have recommended certain supplements. Maybe you could search the files for more information? Or just try a new posting asking for information on yeast?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  13. ridfibro

ridfibro New Member

AAAAUuuuuuuuggggghhh! Okay, so from different people on this board and from myself you have probably narrowed this down to a few things:

1- Gastro problems, crohn's, IBS, Diverticulitis, diverticulosis, h pylori, parasites, colon or stomach ulcers, sprue/celiac etc.

When was your last scope? I saw your doc ran all kinds of tests, probably drinking the barium, doing the xrays, scopes, etc.

2- Gynecologic problems

3- Ovarian Cancer

Based on what people here are saying and my own experience doctor's sometimes don't have a clue and it becomes our responsibility to fight for them to help us find the answers. You need to keep getting checked out till they find something they can point to with reasonableness so that something bad isn't lurking without treatment.

As for the probiotics, yes they can make you feel bloaty. i did a pretty big study, (consisting with me and 3 friends real big study I know) and 2 of us felt like we were having twins and the other had so much gas that she could have supplied the country with fuel source for the next 20 years. However, that being said, it only lasted a few weeks and we were taking quite a bit. I believe firmly it is part of what has helped me become medication free after bowel and fms symptoms you wouldn't want to know about.

Good luck, I hope this helped somehow.

Hailey
  14. ask2266

ask2266 Member

The IBS from CFIDS and Fibro is caused by excess yeast in the gut.
  15. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I've learned that I also had to clean toxins from my environment.
  16. hurt_allover

hurt_allover New Member

hiya all new here wanted to post this thred because it is the first one like it that I have seen. Roni, your story is just like mine same thing! Went to doctor for my tummy swelling up like anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes after I had eaten..I mean it would get huge! looked 9 mo's pregnant that quick..I even feel 9 months pregnant..My tummy gets really tight where I feel like its gonna blow any min and it just can't get any bigger!! my ribs hurt and my lower back kills me..I waddle like a duck until the swelling go's down4 years ago it would go down within the hour or two now though it dont go down until the next day. no gas no burbing no heart burn..the doc did upper and lower GI's xrays laying down and standing up drinking this really foul mixture..then the doc done a test on my gall blater which made me all but jump threw the roof because the nurse said thats how they can tell if the gall blatter is working or not and the pain I felt ment it was working like it should..then the doctor wanted to know if I was fakeing??? because she could not find anything wrong. then she makes and appointment to have the gall blater taken out??? one day before the surgury she calls and tells me I am anemic..blood count 6 and should be around 12..now putting the gall blader on hold must have hystryrectomy..fine..so here I am 4 years later and still have a tummy that swells so big I can set a dinner plate on it and a set of silerware!! sorry no help but to let you know your not alone. oh fyi..the ovarin cancer thing I heard that you dont have to have overies to get this cancer. rita radner had it. If you want to do a search here is the name of the blood test you need to have done to be tested for it..CA-125 blood test.
  17. Kathy0825

Kathy0825 New Member

I recently read an article on the internet that caught my eye because of several symptoms, including stomach bloating - it is an article written about Fma and can be found at www.vitality101.com, written by a Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum M.D. - I'm going to look into it!
  18. moab341

moab341 New Member

I know it's not funny because of how we feel, but reading your description of being able to hold a dinner plate and silver ware on your tummy had me in tears laughing!
    I can sooooo relate to that and feeling like i just ate Thanksgiving dinner no matter how small the portion.

Honestly, I used to be so thin and I don't eat any more now but I have gained this weight that perplexes me to no end!

I did not know you could still get Ovarian cancer with no ovaries! Well, one more thing to worry about eh?

I don't know what else they can take out of me?? My gallbladder is gone as well as my appendix, and female plumbing.

I had a colonoscopy two years ago and the gastro doc did every test helearned in med school on me.

I've moved on since him, and let me tell you I have learned these Drs. don't like you asking them questions that are not in their field of expertise.
    Wouldn't it be something if it were just a yeast problem?

How do we test for that specifically?

Thanks for everyone's input! Your bloated buddy, Roni