Stomach gurgling and Nausea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by hermitlady, Mar 20, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

OK, here's another symptom I've been living with lately and I'm getting tired of it. My stomach constantly gurgles and churns...it's up high in my actual stomach area. I have also been having almost constant nausea.

I do have IBS, but feeling like this is new to me. I usually suffer from the unexpected diar attacks, however, w the constipating effects of the Norco, I don't have that happen too much anymore.

I am in a flare and taking 6 Norco a day (have been for 2 mos and dr says it's ok)...the Norco is what I'm thinking the nausea is from. But this gurgling is driving me insane! No matter what I eat or drink, my stomach feels the same.

The other meds I take are 75mg Effexor XR, 750mg Depakote, 50mg Trazodone, Ibuprophen sometimes, Norco 7.5/325. This is actually a short list for me, I'm down to fewer meds now than I've taken in the past.

I read thru old posts about nausea and came up w these remedies that people have tried......

Nauzene
    Reglan
    Papaya pills
    Ginger in different forms
    Ginger snaps (non gluten type)
    Peppermint
    Vistaril
    Zofran
    Cola syrup
    Ginger ale
    Licorice

I have to try something, preferably natural to start off with. Any ideas what this incessant gurgling is from and how to make it go away???
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The gurgling may be a result of mixing acids and alkalines = carbon dioxide.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

what would be causing it tho? I didn't always have it and can't think of any diet change etc. Just another part of my body flipping out????
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I noticed this when I was very acidic and used baking soda. I could actually taste the gas from mixing baking soda with the acid in my body. Most of us, including me, have low stomach acid. So I suspect this reaction was coming from my intestines.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2008]
  5. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

I am a firm believer in sipping peppermint tea. I've rarely had it fail to work. One of my sons just started on Cymbalta and was complaining of nausea. He swore it was 90% better after making up a batch of strong peppermint tea. You need to soak your leaves or teabags (and buy bags only in sealed packs) for at least five minutes to get the full effect. Then you can either re-heat it or drink it over ice. It's subtle but seems to start calming the stomach in about 15 minutes.

Peppermint capsules are also good and seem to work pretty quickly. Regular peppermint candies even help to some degree.

Hope your tummy settles,

Missizzy
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

for any kind of gastric distress. artichoke works well for me by nudging bile flow. If I could tolerate aloe vera I would use that because it's excellent for a variety of GI tract sx.

Below is an article on alternative remedies that often get mentioned in topics here too.

tc, tansy

Natural Digestive Aids
    by author Lucretia Schanfarber

Peter Rabbit’s mother knew the therapeutic value of natural digestive aids. She dosed Peter with a cup of strong camomile tea after his overeating escapades in Mr. McGregor’s garden gave him a bad case of indigestion.

In the real world, herbs are still used, along with nutritional and enzymatic supplements, to safely and effectively improve digestion. Here’s a quick reference guide to the best traditional and modern remedies for relieving the many symptoms of digestive distress. They’re all available at your local health food store.

Natural Digestive Aids: Your Quick Reference Guide

Aloe vera: Juice from the aloe vera plant is used as a general digestive aid and to soothe inflamed mucous membranes.

Artichoke extract (Cynara scolymus): A popular, traditional European remedy used to calm upset stomach, stimulate digestion, and reduce
    constipation.

Betaine Hydrochloride: This beet-based source of hydrochloric acid increases stomach acid and is one of the most effective supplements for indigestion caused by hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid). Most common in those over the age of 50, low stomach acid causes poor nutrient digestion and absorption and leads to fatigue.

Calcium and magnesium chewable tablets: Calcium carbonate is a natural antacid and magnesium is essential for relaxation of smooth muscles, including the large intestine. Natural mint-flavoured, chewable tablets are ideal.

Camomile: Camomile tea, made from the dried flowers, is an excellent home remedy for upset stomachs. It relieves heartburn, indigestion, colic, and general stress. It also has mild relaxant and sedative properties. Brew the tea in a covered container to prevent loss of the active constituents in steam. Let the flowers steep at least 10 minutes before pouring.

Dandelion: The dried roots and fresh greens are both used traditionally as an overall digestive and liver tonic.

Deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL): This herbal extract soothes the digestive tract by increasing the mucosal lining. The best form to use is a chewable tablet that can provide quick relief.

Digestive bitters: A variety of pre-mixed herbs with bitter compounds help stimulate digestion, increase bile production in the gallbladder and bile flow from the liver, while strengthening bowel function.

Digestive enzymes: Supplemental enzymes are made from a variety of sources including animal, plant, microbial fermentations (also called plant-derived), and concentrated food or plant extracts. Microbial fermentation is the most common source of enzymes. There are three major categories of digestive enzymes, one category for each of the three macronutrients we eat: protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Some enzymes, such as pancreatin, overlap into all three categories. Choosing the most appropriate digestive enzymes depends largely on the types of foods that cause digestive difficulties, but most people find multiple enzyme formulations most helpful.

The three categories of digestive enzymes:

Protease enzymes digest proteins. This category includes the enzymes bromelain, papain, pancreatin (a multifunctional enzyme that contains trypsin, chymotrypsin, amylase, and lipase), carboxypeptidase, chymosin, pepsin, and rennin.
    Amylase enzymes digest carbohydrates. This category includes the enzymes alpha-galactosidase (especially good for digesting beans), lactase (specific to digesting milk sugar), invertase (for digesting sucrose), beta-glucosidase, cellulose (for digesting fibre from fruits and vegetables), malt diastase, glucoamylase, hemicellulase, lysozyme, maltase, pancreatin, pectinase, phytase, and sucrase.
    Lipase enzymes digest fats. This category primarily includes lipase and pancreatin.
    Fennel seed: This culinary herb is a carminative (expels gas from the intestinal tract). Chew 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) of fennel seeds at the end of a meal or any time you feel the beginnings of indigestion.

Fenugreek seed: Used as a tea or in powder or tablets, fenugreek is a mucilaginous (slippery, soothing) source of fibre. It soothes gastrointestinal spasms, pain, and irritation.

Fibre: One of the best digestive aids, fibre relieves constipation, adds bulk to the stool, eliminates toxins, and satisfies the appetite. Eat at least 1 1/2 oz (40 g) of fibre daily from whole grains, beans, and raw fruits and vegetables. If you require a fibre supplement, freshly ground flaxseeds are beneficial.

Ginger: This wonderful digestive aid alleviates nausea, strengthens the lining of the upper gastrointestinal tract, and protects against ulcers and parasites.

Homeopathic remedies: Arsenicum album for burning pain that feels better with warmth; Carbo vegetabilis for bloating and indigestion that is worse when lying down, especially with flatulence and fatigue; Lycopodium for heartburn that feels worse with eating; and Nux vomica for heartburn with cramping and constipation.

Peppermint: A soothing and refreshing traditional digestive remedy with powerful, fast-acting therapeutic properties for the entire gastrointestinal tract; it is nontoxic.
    Steep peppermint leaves for hot or cool tea. Peppermint oil is available in enteric-coated capsules and is especially beneficial for those with irritable bowel syndrome.

Probiotics and prebiotics: Probiotic bacteria and prebiotic oligosaccharides (such as larch arabinogalactan) promote a healthy digestive system and are beneficial for relieving irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, and diarrhea. They also enhance immune function.

Slippery elm bark powder: This traditional herbal remedy is next to none for the immediate, soothing relief of heartburn. It’s also ideal for promoting healing of the mucosal lining of the digestive tract and relieving constipation.

Triphala: This Ayurvedic constipation remedy is a combination of three fruits that tone the large intestine. Triphala is safe for regular daily use.

Rx for Better Digestion from “The Enzyme Doctor”

According to Dr. Anthony Cichoke, also known as “The Enzyme Doctor” and author of The Complete Book of Enzyme Therapy (Avery, 1998), eating enzyme-rich, fresh raw fruits and vegetables is the best prescription for good digestion. But Dr. Cichoke peppers his dietary advice with a gentle reminder. “Improving your diet can cause indigestion.

Remember, it takes time for your body to adjust when you drastically change your diet to include the extra fibre consumed when you eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and decrease your intake of meats and fats. Fibre-rich foods can cause gas and bloating until your body adjusts. Digestive enzymes help,” he promises.

Lucretia Schanfarber is a writer and editor who lives and gardens organically on Quadra Island, BC, with her husband.

Source: alive #266, December 2004
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I'll have to make a shopping list......the only things I have right now are Cham. tea and peppermint Altoids. I don't really feel well enough to go out, so maybe tomorrow.

Sounds like I'm doomed as far as my meds and my stomach go...oh well.

xxxooo Hermit
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

before surgery and meds that were not suitable for me my gi tract sx were either not present or very mild as long as i kept to my diet and took good quality probiotics. Afer 4 decades of sx following a severe GI tract infection during my childhood this seemed pretty miraculous to me.

my gi tract is already better than it was and i am confident things will continue to improve as i recover from the aftermath of having surgery and the meds that were not suitable for me.

tc, tansy
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Tansy is right. There have been two times that I thought my days were numbered. Now I expect to live a long, healthy, happy life.
  10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've noticed people mentioning taking them, but don't know much about which are best for us to take. Sounds like something I should read up on.

Does anyone recommend any in particular?

I think I took an Acidophilus type several yrs ago along w a pile of other supplements from an alt med dr. Back then everything was new to me and I admit I just took what he gave me without doing much research. I was too sick and didn't have the energy (or laptop) to read up on everything.

I can relate to feeling "like my days are numbered" too.....it's like every year I feel worse and some of the flares are scary!
  11. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I had this for the longest time and it sent me to the gastro several times--had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. Everything checked out fine, so I had to address my diet. I eliminated different foods here and there and came to realize that the culprit was Splenda!!! Once I eliminated that from my diet, and anything that contained Splenda, Nutrasweet or any other sugar substitute, I felt so much better. I could not believe how much gastric distress it was causing me until I stopped using it. I'm also careful to avoid anything too garlicky--that can create alot of gurgling for me as well.

If you read about sugar substitutes, you would be amazed at the amount of people that have digestive problems from it. Take a long hard look at your diet and eliminate things here and there and see if it makes a difference.

I did take a probiotic at one time and it did help. I preferred something called RM10 from website gardenoflife (you can google it); interesting story by a doctor who found himself incredibly ill when he himself was in college. His products evolved out of his own personal journey. I think his name is Jordan Rubin.

I know how uncomfortable you feel and I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Feel better--

Laura

12. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thanks for the info on sweeteners. I do still have one diet Coke a day, I know it's bad. Years ago I used to drink several a day...probably poisoned myself w it. I know FM has supposedly been linked to Nutrasweet.

This stomach thing is just recent tho and I can't think of anything I've changed. Maybe it's just all catching up w me....I've been pretty constipated for awhile now from the pain meds. Probably have a lot of toxins hanging out in my digestive system.

I checked out your profile, you are so pretty...you remind me of my cousin. You sound like you're doing well and are able to make it without a handful of rx meds several times a day. Good for you.
  13. jesfms

jesfms New Member

could the effexor be causing the gurling...i had it when i was taking it
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It's not just the formaldehyde you get from Diet Coke. Formaldehyde is also in any vaccines you had. Formaldehyde will ruin the liver. It's like drinking wood alcohol.
  15. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the compliment! You made my day!!

Even after I replied to your post,I kept thinking about it.
    I wanted to mention to you that for some reason, and I still don't exactly understand why, but my digestive system went through a really bad period of time that lasted quite a while. It's still not perfect, but it's SO much better now.

The only things that I do differently now are:
    --abolutely NO soda
    --very little coffee, but I do drink tea
    --no red meat (as recommended by my rheumy)
    --no popcorn or nuts (known irritants)
    --daily serving of good quality yogurt
    --try to avoid tomato sauce
    --and of course, no sugar substitutes at all

Also, when I was having digestive problems, my gastro recommended a daily dose of Metamucil--the orange flavored powdered kind that you mix into water. I would take it at bedtime. It really did make a difference because if your system is off, it can make you very uncomfortable and gurgily in the stomach. I believe when you take a great deal of medication, you have to work a little harder and pay a little more attention to your digestive wellness. OTC Prilosec worked very well for temporary relief.

Recently, I started taking a supplement that I believe is really helping me overall. It's turmeric with bromelain added, made by Nature Factors. I take this in addtion to Omega 3's, and a multivitamin. I take Restoril for sleep, and I believe that has made a huge improvement in my overall well-being because insomnia was my worst problem--I still find it hard to believe that so much of the pain I was experiencing was due to lack of restoritive sleep. I sometimes wonder if there was a coorelation between my lack of sleep and my digestive problems. I know when I flare up, my digestive system wacks out in some way.

As far as meds go, my rheumy wanted me to go on Lyrica; he's really gung-ho for the stuff. I told him no, I was managing fine with natural supplements and Restoril. Lyrica would be my last resort and he then agreed that that was okay.

If I can think of anything else that might help you, I'll pass it along. Like I said earlier, I really feel for you because this was a really rough patch for me too.

Keep us posted--

Hugs, Laura

[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2008]
  16. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

until I cut out all forms of sugar. Things ferment down there where there is sugar. And......no soda pop because it's full of bubbles. Stick with herbal tea. When I had a bad case of the throw ups last week from the flu I made some ginger tea, but ended up chewing the softened slice of ginger afterwards.
  17. lsaxton65

lsaxton65 New Member

could be from a chemical reaction of your meds...this is a symptom of IBS...i am definite that you have a build up of stomach acids which could be from meds or your meds causing food sensitivities

i have IBS and the stomach problems you describe. i do watch for certain reactions after eating and try avoiding those foods until things are under control. when i have this acid build up i take natural multi enzymes to help with my acid break down...maybe this might help you some.

i don't have much to offer you..best of luck with this problem...i know it can be uncomfortable and frustrating

lisa
  18. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I'm always trying to keep track of what I've eaten and how I'm feeling. It's been hard for me to pinpoint anything lately.

I picked up some Nauzene and Cola syrup yesterday....they're basically just sugars, fructose and dextrose I think. The Nauzene worked quite well actually, I wasn't quite as barfy feeling.

This just reminds me of the 4 months of morning/all day sickness I had w both of my pregnancies, yuck. And no, I'm not PG!!! Been there, done that.

Again, thanks for all the info. I've got to get some laundry done, I hardly did anything all week cuz I felt so bad. Now I have to bite the bullet and move, nobody but me seems to know how to run the washer and dryer!
  19. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Well, since I just posted about it and found out a tons of things about my own stomach and digestion, I suggest a comprehensive stool analysis with blood tests and urinalysis to find out about the status of the pancreas (particularly the production of enzymes and hydrochloric acid) and the liver and gallbladder. If your stomach is gurgling this incessantly, there's a problem.

Or have you already done this because you have IBS?

karen
  20. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Maybe all that laundry is giviing you agita!!! Come to think of it, when my twins left and went away to school and took all their dirty laundry with them, my stomach felt better. Go figure!!!