Stomach not working! Headaches! Nerve damage...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

oh man, i don't think i should've read so much about the vagus nerve! now i'm freaked out and afraid i'll never be able to eat again without constant headaches and undigested food sitting. and continually losing weight!

been trying to figure out why i feel ok when i don't eat and awful (belching incessantly and headaches) when i do eat. this goes in streaks, but has been bad for nearly a month. but once the headaches were here for three years straight.

it seems from reading med sites online, that my stomach is definitely not digesting food (maybe why i feel sooo weak and sick and faint and headachy after eating)... but of course, i must eat! and i've tried eliminating wheat, corn, dairy, onions, garlic, meat(vegetarian for 20 years), citrus fruits white sugar...)... but it's still happening. i even belch after drinking WATER. and this is intense belching that seems to start when i go from sitting to standing, or laying down to sitting. as soon as i belch though... my headache is immediately halfway better. but this process goes on for hours!

since i also have the herniated discs (c-5 to c-7)...and some nerve damage and numbness all over my body... i just read that the vagas nerve from the neck to stomach, if damaged, can mess up your stomach's ability to digest food.

and also worried that i'm barely eating more than one meal a day!

trying not to overreact, but not good at it. i only ate a few pieces of toast with jam til 8pm today... and had almost no headache until i ate more of a meal... and now it's been three hours since eating and i'm still belching and headachy.

i need hope! i can't stop eating!...

any ideas? anyone have this?

thanks tons! i know i've been posting alot lately...
    hugs!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/27/2006]
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

This is a nerve damage for me due to diabetes. People can get motility problems and that may be what you have.

You really need to see a doctor and perhaps something like Reglan would help you. I don't get the headaches like you do. But I can belch, yet I really don't much with using the Reglan before I eat.

You may need to see a gastrologist to find out what is exactly going on.

I have had an upper GI, ultrasound, heart monitors, endoscopies done, etc. Right now I do well with a few Pepcid AC's a day (10 mg.) and the Reglan.

It is painful for me when my stomach flares up. I really do better with one meal a day even if it is a large meal.

Sorry you are going through this.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Chilene

Chilene New Member

yes, all my reading lead me to gastroparesis, too...

i can't take many drugs... allergic to everyone i've tried lately...but maybe the Pepcid will be ok...

and yes, i think it's time for me to go to a gastro doc!

thanks so much for your thoughts, and nice to "meet" you!

many hugs!

helene
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    Poor digestion is common to almost everyone with fibro/CFS. One of the things I've been doing is taking digestive enzymes and probiotic's. You do need a very good digestive enzyme. Another thing you might want to look at is going to a gluten free diet. You could be amazed at how much better you do. I think that more people are allergic to glutens than realize it.

K.
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Helene,
    I surely hope you don't has gastroparesis, but if you do, you really need to know that.

I know they say to eat more smaller meals during the day, but I found that made me worse. I eat one large meal a day and I have a lot less pain with that. Doesn't make any sense, does it? Nice to 'meet' you too. :)

Marsha,
    I take the Reglan 30 minutes before I eat. I've always done it that way. When I was in the hospital over 10 years ago, they gave me the Reglan AFTER I ate. lol

K,
    I don't want to go on a gluten free diet unless I HAVE to. lol It's just too restrictive.

Hugs,
    Faye

[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]

[ advertisement ]