Stomach Ulcer Cured on Your Own? DARN OTC's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I may have a stomach ulcer from all the otc pain relievers I take

Doc is checking me for bleeding and started me on Protonix

Well, now in addition to the below the breast gnawing pain, I have a major headache every day, and lower stomach pain, that I am sure are from the Protonix (I hate meds!)

ANyway, he said if the Protonix doesn't work, I will need an endoscopy and need to be referred to a gastro guy (or gal)

Is there anything I could do without the Protonix???

Should he have tested me for H Pylori and put me on an antibiotic?
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Wow I'm surprised you feel bad because of protonix ... I took the stuff and didn't notice anything. I'm sorry!

Things to do to help ulcers:
    - Avoid caffeine, alcohol and acidic foods (those foods aggravate ulcers).
    - Increase some veggies and fruits
    - Do have problems laying down? Prop the head of your bed up or sleep somehow with an elevated head to keep acid down
    - Take probiotics
    - Increase fiber

For more ideas, search "healing ulcers naturally" using google or something.

Here's a link:

Good luck with the GI endoscopy! I hope you get things solved and feel better soon!
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Just wondering how long I should give the Protonix

I have been on it for 4 days with no improvement
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I would ask for an H. Pylori test firstly...

I have a duodenal ulcer but no h. pylori, tho I'm still convinced there's a possibility there's some other 'bug' that's responsible for it. I also just found out fatigue and 'peptic ulcers' and other things can be caused by hyperparathyroidism, plus other symptoms so that it is often confused with Fibro dx.. likely a long shot (check to see if your calcium levels are high). I'm still betting on some type of bug, regardless tho.

There are other things you can do, drinking aloe vera juice (a lot) every day has helped me, aloe vera gel capsules are good too. And google 'cabbage juice ulcer', it has antibacterial properties, not sure if it also works if it's not h. pylori related as I haven't tried it - yet.

Tagamet is an interesting otc drug - it also kills certain HHVs, works for shingles in particular... also has anti-cancer properties. If you google 'life extension tagamet shingles' you can read about it, so it could be a possibility if you're not doing well on what you're taking now.

sometimes you just have to try different meds.

I'd originally taken prevacid, but it ultimately started causing gastric distress. I hate to keep taking Prilosec off and on... currently on a high dose as I have a colon/bladder/kidney infection right now, and need to take high dose Cipro, which upsets my stomach. Always something!

Hope you find something...
    all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 09/03/2008]
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been on Protonix for awhile now. It works well and I have no side effects. I would give it more than 4 days to work though, it can take a little while.

Also, if you have problems with Protonix there is also Aciphex, Nexium and Prevacid. I have taken them all with no problems...the only reason I chose Protonix now is because it has a generic which is cheaper.

An endoscopy might be the answer though, to see what is truly going on so they can give you the right treatment for your problem.
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Thanks Victoria and dragon

Some things to think about
  7. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Empower, protonix takes weeks to be fully effective. Think about it this way, it's rebuilding your stomach wall, not just alleviating a symptom really quick, so it takes a little while. :) Worth it though for me.

I had good success with that drug a couple of years ago ... I have a hunch that i had the start of ulcers and that kicked it out of me. Now I have a different stomach problem but protonix was great for me. But you have to stick with it, a short period of time on it might even cause rebound problems.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

I am just impatient and in pain

Not like I have enough pain with the FMS!!! ARRRGGGGHHHH
  9. homesheba

homesheba New Member

and nexium wks the best for me.
    i also am ate up inside
    from all the pills...
  10. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Protonix definitely won't relieve the pain ... can you take something for that?? protonix is just working on rebuilding the area, so it indirectly solves the pain problem after healing, but in the meantime you might need something else. I sure don't want you having to put up with additional pain, that sucks!

Are you taking antacids in the meanwhile? Something that would reduce your stomach acid levels should help with the immediate pain situation. And I'm relatively sure you can take things like tums with protonix ... just a thought.

Hugs! I wish I had a magic answer!

11. springwater

springwater Active Member

I had gastritis way back after doing colonoscopy and endoscopy...

suffered nausea, dizziness, constipation sometimes, diarriaoh sometimes, headaches, neck ache, lived for a year on bland soups and rice and banana

i tood an analgesic and a tranquilizer the doc didnt giv anything got better...i get bloated stomach if i eat hot and spicy too much but by and large am better

avoid hot spicy food
    and stress

i do breathing exercises....dont like taking good for my stomach too

God Bless
  12. Empower

Empower New Member

Went to gastro doc today

Highly suspect of a peptic ulcer

Wanted me to have an endoscopy but I talked him out of it
    I know it is the best test, but my CFS started after anesthia and even though they do not put you out, I don't want to be sedated

I will have an upper GI (yuck), abdominal ultrasound, and did H Pylori blood test today
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Hope you get some answers, and glad you finally got an h. pylori test! Let us know what happens!

all the best,

14. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Out of curiosity, what is the "upper GI" if it's not an endoscopy?
  15. Empower

Empower New Member

The doc said Blood test for h pylori is not the best

Is that what you had??
  16. Empower

Empower New Member

Upper GI is when you drink that yucking stuff to coat your stomach and then they do x rays of you "innards"
  17. ironspine

ironspine New Member

Fish Oil-Fish Oil-Fish Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My husband and I both had GERD, esophagitus (we both had to have our esophagus's stretched surgically because they were scarred) and I had duodenal ulcers. After watching a special on PBS about stomach acid and what antacids actually do, we followed the advice and bought fish oil capsules. Both my husband and I were able to get off our prescribed meds-Nexiom, Protonix, etc. both heavy duty "healers". It took a little time, but after taking the fish oil 2-3 times a day both my husband and I are both cured. We both take 1 fish oil a day still, to maintain. Besides our stomachs, fish oil is sooooo beneficial for everything else in our bodies.
    I'm just saying this worked for us.
    I do have to take Lyrica and occasional Vicodin for pain, which both hurt the stomach, and fish oil has prevented me from getting stomach problems again.
    Good luck with your stomach! I know how you feel!
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

yes that is what I had... not aware of any other test?- unless they take a culture during endoscopy or other procedure maybe?

My DH had the blood test and showed 6X the 'normal amount', yet doesn't have ulcers and takes LOTS of aspirin - his doc say he's amazed he even has a GI tract left .... (he took the high dose abx 2X for it to come down to "only" 3X the 'norm'... don't know what to think!)

So what is better?

19. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Oh, thanks for the info empower. When I had my endoscopy they called it an "upper GI" since that was the area it was done in ... so I was confused. Thanks for clarifying.

I've only had h.pylori tested through a stool test. Didn't even know there was a blood test! Huh.

I know you can have an endoscopy done without anesthesia ... it's just uncomfortable. I read someone on here having that done.
  20. Empower

Empower New Member

Yes, the most accurate way to test for H pylori is a culture durin endoscopy, but it sounds like the blood test can be pretty accurate??