Stomach Ulcers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Jan 3, 2011.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Well, I saw my doc today and sure enough, he thinks I have an ulcer in addition to all of my other ailments! Lucky me :(

I've had this problem off and on for a couple of yrs, but it's gotten worse lately. I always say that it feels like I have a hot rock sitting in the bottom of my stomach, not good.

Anytime I try to take a regime of supplements, I get this stomach discomfort. Consequently, I never seem to be able to take many supps for long enough to notice whether or not they help me.

I've also taken thousands of Ibuprofen pills over the yrs, not to mention many other pain meds, ADs, etc etc..... I guess it's just finally caught up w me.

So, I have 3 new prescriptions to choke down everyday for my stomach. Doc wants me to take them for a couple of months to see if I feel better before ordering the test where they stick a camera down my throat. I'll avoid that as long as I can!

I swear, I just wonder what the next ailment will be that I come down with. It's always something...I would love to be healthy again...I don't even remember what that feels like!

Anyone have any tips for dealing w ulcers? I know I'm supposed to avoid spicy, acidic foods, but I will have a hard time cutting out my 2 cups of coffee a day. I'll just have to buffer it with a lot of milk I guess for now. Arggggggggg.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Were you checked (simple blood test) for h. pylori, first, tho? That should always be checked as treatment for that can make a difference.

I have a recurring duodenal ulcer... yep, from ibuprofen & aspirin; and I have to be very careful with spicy foods. Taking aspirin or ibuprofen - even if I make sure to take it with a full meal - can still affect me if I take it more than 1X every other day.

It's supposed to be basically a myth about milk helping ulcers, btw. And I have found 1/2 & 1/2 doesn't help me to buffer the coffee; there is a Kroger brand of coffee that is less acidic and easier on the stomach tho that I use, it has made a difference.

When I have had to take a lot of ibuprofen or aspirin (like now because of dental work), I've found that aloe vera gel/juice (mix into water, add something sweet, or buy the lemon flavored juice) really helps me. I start off drinking about 4-6 oz of it 3X/day. With some people I guess aloe can cause diarrhea, so be careful. I've never had a problem however.

I also take DGL/de-glycerrhinized licorice tablets before eating, they also help a lot.

(I'd give up the coffee if I didn't need it to counteract the antihistamine I have to use at night so I can sleep more than 3-4 hours without a raging sinus headache. Talk about a vicious circle)

There are also some other remedies I use that seem to help. There's some other interesting info at

There's some interesting abstracts about using zinc & carnosine for ulcers, which I'm looking into... plus also about cranberry juice helping to keep the population of H. Pylori down, if that turns out to be at least part of your problem.

There are some other possibilities too, including glutamine or just juicing cabbage (has a lot of it in it, but I hate cabbage)... also slippery elm:

Hope that helps. It is an ongoing battle for me. My H. pylori levels have always been well within "normal" yet my DH, who takes 2 grams (!) of aspirin often per day does not have an ulcer, and even tho he had about 3-4X the amount of H. pylori than what is considered normal. He is in his 60s! go figure, there is more to all of this than we or "they" (the scientists) know.

all the best,
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I still have to get the blood test done for H Pylori. Since this has been an ongoing problem, my dr gave me the meds to get the discomfort under control first off. He figures it's from the NSAIDS I've "inhaled" over the yrs, but also wants to check for the H Pylori.

The meds he gave me are Protonix (acid reducer), one to coat the stomach and ulcered area (can't think of the name) and an OTC Probiotic. I think it feels a bit better today, so maybe it's helping already.

Thanks so much for the info...I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one here that had this problem! I haven't had a chance to do much online research yet, so I'll start w the info you provided.

Have you had to take rx meds for your ulcer? Just curious...I talked to someone who just had to take similar meds for awhile and then it cleared up for her. Hopefully that will be the case here.

It's kind of tricky to time the doses of this stuff tho. I have to spread them out thru the day cuz one is taken on an empty stomach twice a day, and it coats the stomach so it will keep other meds from working if taken together. (My stomach is rarely empty, lol) And the acid reducer will interact w a couple of other meds I take cuz it won't let the other meds get dissolved as easily in the stomach...grrr

Thanks again............ Hermit
  4. pckloconnor

pckloconnor New Member

When I read your post i thought, have to ask if she was tested for h pylori, but someone beat me too it. I have such tummy trouble but found out the h pylori was responsible for a lot of it!

Good Luck
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

I took Nsaids for a sore neck after a car accident they caused an ulcer and a haemorage and I had a blood transfusion. I was very lucky but also unlucky because following the blood transfusion I had cfs, two years later fms. When it was discovered that H. Pylori was a cause of ulcers I tested + so took the treatment.

Prior to the antibiotic treatment i had to manage my ulcer for several years, which I did quite successfully.

Decaf coffee and tea (must reduce caffeine intake)
    No alcohol on empty stomach
    Eat early in the evening
    Slow your eating
    Reduce chocolate or eat only following a meal (A lot of caffeine in chocolate)
    Watch out for chewing gum
    Take a magnesium supplement (200-400mg Mg)
    Avoid sitting for long periods
    No smoking (it stimulates acid production and damages stomach lining)
    Drink required daily water spread throughout the day.

I never found spicy foods a problem if I followed the above but people seem to respond differently to spicy foods. The proton pump inhibitors are a help but are not a license to eat/drink anything.

Since I had the H. Pylori removed I have allowed myself tea but not coffee and I have more chocolate, even in the evenings which was an NO No before. My stomach never troubles me now and the treatment also eliminated my diarrhea, which was a constant part of cfs/fms.

Good luck with it, I know how evil an ulcer is when it wakes you two or three times during the night.