Stop GMO foods

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herbqueen, May 4, 2011.

1. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Watch the video with professor Huber below. It is outrageous that now GMO alfalfa hay and sugar beets are approved for GMO along with Soy and Corn. And we want to push this crap on the rest of the world. Autoimmune, autism, cancer, disease rates are exploding. We are what we eat. Now we want to contaminate the one pure food source for animals left-- hay! The GMO crops are engineered to withstanding high levels of monsanto herbicide "roundup"--so toxic on many fronts- more chemicals and engineered. Not to mention as Dr. Huber states what is it doing to the microflora of our soil. Watch this and spread the word!
  2. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

with my original diagnosis of fibro 13 years ago I tried the blood type diet for type O. That is hunter gather diet- I did mostly organic meats and veggies and eggs and it cut my pain in 1/2. I substituted spelt for wheat and ate only a little bit of dairy. Then I added moducare sterinol and that put me into I guess what people would call a remission. I did well-went back to eating more normal/but all organic and whole foods-spelt instead of wheat. I then went off moducare. Then 5 years ago optic neuritis attack with optic nerve damage and I descent into hell--trying alternative lyme protocols. I did candida diets (no grains/no sugar/little fruit) and saw no improvement in neuro symptoms. I had my 3rd neuro attack last year brought on my taking some drugs which pushed my system into autoimmune overdrive-so I've been recovering from that . I dont know if the diet is working for me. I've researched fibro diets, lupus diets, MS diets--- there many opionions out there from raw diet, to vegan, to paleolithic. I dont have the answers--i think the best approach is to start with eliminating gluten, dairy, sugar---and see if you see improvement/keep a food diary. Right now I am trying to follow dr. wahl's diet- 9 cups raw veggies/lean organic meat/nuts/seeds-but I still eat some gluten free grains and legumes and some cooked veggies. I'm still on the journey. I don't see huge day to day differences or big differences in symptoms so the food diary is challenging for me. gluten and dairy and sugar seem to be common thread- and increase vegtables and some fruit. Everyone is different--if your cholesterol is increasing than maybe a grain free diet is not for you-- but a more vegatarian. Listen to your body and do the best you can. It's journey. I'm considering giving an all raw diet a try for a while to see what that does. I do think those of us with chronic illness need to eat the very best whole foods and use nutrition to give us the best quality of life we can have. Good luck. Let m eknow ifyou have any questions I can help you with.
  3. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

one other thought- gluten free should not have raised your cholesterol-unless you greatly increased meat consumption or maybe were eating the gluten free processed food? Skip the mix's for gluten free and processed foods (cookies, box mixes etc)- eat the whole grains instead - brown rice , quinoa, millet, amaranth, gf oats if you can tolerate them. I think the mix's and alot of the gf foods are highly processed are not good for blood sugar etc.

Experiment with grain free, vegan, and mixed meat/whole grain diets to figure out what works for you. Dr Wahl's has an active facebook page and website . She advocates grain free/ raw paleo diet-I'm not sure that is good for everyone but it works for many.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am currently reading, "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills." Kelly, who is currently taking the peptide injections has found out that MSG must be avoided at all costs when taking this treatment. I have always known that MSG is bad, and that it goes under many names, but I never realized how prevalent it is in our food. Gelatin is MSG. My vitamin D and fish oil supp are in gelatin capsules. My calcium supp contains citric acid, another excitotoxin. If our bodies are not overwhelmed by excitotoxins, they may be able to keep them from breaching the blood/brain barrier but most of us aren't healthy.

Most low- and no-fat foods contain MSG because otherwise, the foods would be too bland. If a food contains "natural flavors," it is likely hydrolized vegetable protein. This is a brown sludge made from inedible vegetable material, using acid, and dried into a powder which ends up being MSG.

The FDA and researchers have known just how dangerous MSG is, especially to babies and toddlers, for decades but no one will go against the biggest companies to alert the public. The food companies give huge grants to universities and if the researchers blow the whistle, the companies pull their grants and the researchers lose thier jobs.

The same is true of Aspertame and other sugar substitutes. Some people are almost free of their illnesses once they remove these toxins from their diets. I will be doing a very strict diet of organic fruit and veggies and fish, meat, poultry, eggs and dairy. This means no eating out. It is impossible to eat anything in a restaurant without MSG even if they advertise that they do not add it. It's already there!

I know modified foods are a different issue but all these issues affect the safety of our food supply. Perhaps what is happening to our food explains the exponential rise of illnesses, like ADHD, autism, Parkinson's, ALS, MS and a whole host of other illnesses which affect the brain and, often, the immune system.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2011]
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I signed the petition. The FDA is in the pocket of big business, no doubt.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"The Doctors" on TV talking about unhealthy chemicals in our food but they fell waaaay short of informing people about how dangerous our food supply is.

There seems to be a kind of synergy toward cleaning up our food supply. It starts with awareness and proceeds with action.

Love, Mikie
  7. quanked

quanked Member

I have been signing petitions to stop Monsanto and warn consumers in the USA what they are eating for awhile now.

Just watched the following film:

S t r a n g e C u l t u r e

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strange Culture is a 2007 documentary film directed by Lynn Hershman Leeson. It stars Tilda Swinton and Thomas Jay Ryan.

It premiered January 19, 2007 at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.

The film examines the case of artist and professor Steve Kurtz, a member of the Critical Art Ensemble (CAE). The work of Kurtz and other CAE members dealt with genetically modified food and other issues of science and public policy. After his wife, Hope, died of heart failure, paramedics arrived and became suspicious when they noticed petri dishes and other scientific equipment related to Kurtz's art in his home. They summoned the FBI, who detained Kurtz within hours on suspicion of bioterrorism.

As Kurtz could not legally talk about the case, the film uses actors to interpret the story, as well as interviews with Kurtz and other figures involved in the case. Through a combination of dramatic reenactment, news footage, animation, and testimonials, the film scrutinizes post-9/11 paranoia and suggests that Kurtz was targeted because his work questions government policies. At the film's close, Kurtz and his long-time collaborator Dr. Robert Ferrell, former chair of the Genetics Department at the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, await a trial date......

This guy just wanted to inform the public via art about GMO's. Good film that provokes lots of thinking about GMO's.

Until we know what the effect of GMO's are on life forms we should not be forced to consume these altered food forms. We cannot make a choice without notice. We should and must have a choice. I learned in the film that consumers have a choice when they buy GMO's in Europe--but first they are informed. Tilda Swinton says in the film (as herself) that she lives in a part of Scotland that is a region labled GMO free.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At least, I think that's what is happening. I've been off Diet Coke for days and have been dizzy and have headaches. I suppose I will feel worse before I feel better. I know this is off topic from GM food but all of our food supply is at risk.

Love, Mikie
  9. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

there is nothing much left to eat. It is difficult to find foods that I can eat due to my medical problems. I give up sometimes due to pure frustrations. When I go to the grocery store and I look at the food I almost can eliminate everything in the store it is depressing. We do have a summer organic vegatable garden in the summer which helps and I froze some vegatables from last year and will this year.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have to get crafty when it comes to meals. I have some of the organic chicken breasts I cooked yesterday. I froze all but one. I had planned to make chicken salad and then remembered mayo. It's loaded with bad stuff. Then, I remembered Greek yogurt. I think I'll try substituting it for the mayo. I think a lot of what we have to do is get used to familiar foods tasting different. After all, the bad stuff they put in processed food is there for no other reason than to taste better and make us addicted to the taste. It's also there for looks. The dyes serve no purpose and have been shown to exacerbate ADHD and ADD.

I think I'll be going to Barnes & Noble to see whether there are any cookbooks which use only healthy foods. In fact, there may be recipes online. I have totally lost my cravings for the Diet Coke and for carbs since I started to clean up my diet. According to the book I'm reading, Aspertame causes obesity. Yikes!

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to cringe at the store when customers would buy all kinds of healthy things and then add soy milk. I think it took reading about just how poisons and excitotoxins kill neurons in the brain to clean up my act. Of course, if Kelly had not told me that MSG ruins the serum in the peptide injections, I might still be eating junk.

I am not finding that eating better is all that expensive. Perhaps that's because I'm eating less. I bought a less expensive cut of steak which is all natural--no antibiotics, no hormones, and the beef are fed a vegetarian diet. It was only $3 and change and it's enough for two meals. I also bought some wild caught fish that was frozen. I know that I can't get rid of everything bad but I can certainly cut it to the minimum.

Evidently, the body can protect the brain from some toxins but if one is sick, old, or has had certain medical conditions, the brain is a sitting duck for early death of neurons. If some sections of the brain die off, Alzheimers, ALS, and Parkinson's can ensue. One way to fight off brain toxicity is to take antioxidents, including vitamins C and E. Evidently magnesium is very efficient at stopping the damage.

I'm learning soooo much but am still not feeling very well. I'm sure I'm in withdrawal from Aspertame. Either that or my Sjogren's is progressing and making me feel worse, including throwing me into an FMS flare. It's always something with us.

Love, Mikie
  12. quanked

quanked Member

More and more of our food isn't actually... food.

It's wood pulp and other plant fibers -- that is, it's cellulose.

It's not just that food manufacturers are sticking more additives into our food in the name keeping costs down (though that is one reason; read on). Cellulose helps to make foods taste the way consumers like while adding extra nutritional punch. Cellulose increases the fiber content of white bread; makes low-fat ice cream taste creamy; keeps shredded cheese from clumping into an ungainly glob. It's found in such products as breads, pancakes, crackers, pizza crusts, muffins, scrambled eggs, mashed potato mixes, and -- one you may not have thought of -- cheesecake.

According to the Wall Street Journal, cellulose additives belong to a "family of substances known as hydrocolloids that act in various ways with water, such as creating gels." These additives have become more popular as the costs of raw materials like flour, sugar and oil have rise:

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We also get tons of insect parts in our food and is allowed by the FDA in prescribed levels. I guess it's protein and better than wood :)

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think the worst of the withdrawal is over. I feel a lot more clear headed.

This book, "Excitoxins: The Taste That Kills," is really eye opening. It's a bit of a boring read in that the doc who wrote it keeps repeating himself--redundant, redundant :)

I believe it is impossible to complete escape toxins but there are a lot of things we can do to greatly reduce them. This doc recommends taking vitamins C and E, and Omega 3 fish oil, along with magnesium. seems these things help keep toxins from breaching the blood/brain barrier.

I am going to the Fresh Food Market today to see what they have to offer. Publix has limited organic produce. I have found that the organic produce has a much stronger flavor than the regular poduce.

Love, Mikie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That eating organic and unprocessed food that expensive. You are so right when you say one can get by on a lot less food when it tastes so good and is healthy. I think it may take some time to feel better but, at least, I'm not feeling crappy from Neutrasweet withdrawal.

Love, Mikie
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is a Fresh Foods market. Except for berries and melons, I was able to find all kinds of certified organic produce at Publix yesterday. I didn't realize they had so much because they aren't all in one place. I got a great big bag of potatoes for $4.45. They are smalle than regular taters--just the right size for one person. I used to forgo carbs but the book I'm reading stresses the need for good carbs for the production of energy for the brain and body. If one isn't eaating all kinds of sugary junk, the body can handle starchy carbs now and then.

Of course, I'm trying to avoid pesticides but the real culprit to the peptide serum is MSG. It is in virtually everything that has been processed. I was able to find certified organic spaghetti sauce and peanut butter. I almost feel as though I have too much food around here as I'm eating less and less. I do keep some Lindt dark chocolate on hand. One square is adequate for sweet craving, which doesn't happen often. It's fairly healthy except for a wee bit of soy.

Love, Mikie