Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Jul 22, 2008.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

How many of you have a song playing in your head?

I read a post this AM which mentions a song and I can not get it out of my head.

I frequently have a song playing in my head. It does not bother me. It is like musac you hear in an elevator or at the dentist office. Nor does it distract me.

I read an article years ago that many people have this. There is an explaination for this.If I remember correctly it has something to do with a certain area of the brain that is more susceptible to being stimulated.

I do not actually hear this through my ears. It is just in my brain.

No, I do not see things that are not there. It's just the songs running through my head. I have had this as long as I can remember but it kind of comes and goes.

I do not usually sing the song, as I can not carry a tune in a bucket, LOL!!!

Just pondering.

[This Message was Edited on 07/22/2008]
  2. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

OMG! YES!!!
    All of my life, and I suppose everyone else's too, you get some song stuck in your head every now and then. It's usually something obnoxious too. I think this happens to everyone.

But in more recent years, this has become a non-stop, ongoing problem for me, and it drives me crazy. There is always a song there. Sometimes its a commercial, or a string of numbers or a phrase. Sometimes, I can listen to something I like a few times, and force it to stick, to erase something I am stuck with that I hate. Usually I am infected with the last music I heard, but in some cases, if there is something that is extremely annoying it will get stuck hard, and nothing can erase it.

Right now, and for the last few weeks, its "Mamma Mia, here I go again, my my, how can I resist you?....." Everytime the commercial comes on, I frantically grab the remote and punch buttons, ANY buttons, to make it stop! I can't seem to exterminate this one.

Oddly, my brain had a default tune too... the one it resets back to when nothing else is airing. I have had this particular default tune for about 20 years. For the longest time, I had no idea what it was, and it plays in various styles. There is the regular version, a more jazzy version, and a rockish version. (I know, I must be insane.)
    I finally figured out what the tune was, and it cracked me up. Its part of the background soundtrack to "The Neverending Story", a movie my oldest son was in love with when he was a tot.

For the moment I can't remember how it sounds, because Mamma Mia has carved a deep crevice in my brain, burrowed down and set up permanent living quarters.

I blame Fibromyalgia. Whenever there is some bizarre symptom I cant explain, I blame FM. I imagine it has something to do with anxiety, which seems to be a big factor in my life. I have wondered if I took some kind of anxiety meds if this would go away. But I am not going to add another expense just for that. It does drive me batty though. I wish I could go back to the old days when this was just an occasional occurrence and not a living soundtrack 24/7/365.

If anyone knows how to hit the brains mute button, I would be glad to hear it!

BILLCAMO New Member

to the racing brain thing some of us have to deal with....

I had the "song in my head" thing BEFORE I got sick.

It's just much worse now....

Blessings ,

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hey thanks!!

Now the song from this AM is replaced by Mama Mia!!

What is strange is that it does not happen or at least I do not think it happens when my anxiety is up.

This is kind of related. Years ago, I had a student who could not put two words together. However she could sing many songs and the speech pathologist got her to singing what she wanted to say with the hope that the part of the brain would compensate which would help her to talk. Unfortunately, I do not know how the story ended.

I sometimes have dreams where there is music, almost like the background music in a movie. However, if I start hearing drums, I wake up and my nose and ears are all stuffed up which makes I think the drums are really my heartbeat.

I am also left brained if you believe in that term and left handed.

TAke care, GA
  5. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Your story reminds me of Mel Tillis the country singer. He stutters, but he can sing flawlessly. Something to do with cadence I guess.
    And that reminds me of the concept that kids who have trouble learning and memorizing stuff, do better when it is set to music. No kid would ever learn their ABC's if they weren't a song.

Here's an odd variation on the original subject. Once I had some song stuck in my head, but I didn't know more than just a few words to it. (Which sucks, cause you just keep repeating the same line over and over.) After a nights sleep, I woke up and the first thing in my head was the WHOLE song, with ALL the words! Strange.

I chalked that one up to the amazing subconscious mind, which remembers everything. After I was awake for a while, I forgot it again though. Stupid overbearing conscious mind! If only I could let my subconscious run my life.... It remembers all the details of my life, where all the lost things are, and entire song lyrics!

Sorry about passing on Mamma Mia. I unloaded it today FINALLY, but it was replaced with "It's a Hard Knock Life" from "Annie." Heard it on some commercial. And those 5 words are all I know of it. Someone shoot me! Where is that iTunes/Coldplay commercial when I need it??? Tomorrow I will have to make time to listen to that song about 10 times in a row, and drive away these obnoxious showtunes!

BILLCAMO New Member

I just heard the rock song with the phrase :

"I'm half the man I used to be........"

At least it replaced :

"Stuck in Lodi again........."

Blessings ,

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have free MP3 players in our brains :)

Love, Mikie
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

That is SOOOO funny.

Take care.

9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

HI GA
    It is called "Phantom Voices,Ethereal Music & Other Spooky Sounds,Musical Ear Syndrome" by Neil G. Bauman. This is the book to explain what's happening. I've had it many many years. Hearing loss is usually coupled with Musical Ear.It is an Auditory Hallucinations. You can buy the book on line. It is worth buying the book !

Hugs Shirley
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I will have to read this book.