Stop Smoking

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by NicoleJasmine, Dec 2, 2012.

1. NicoleJasmine

NicoleJasmine New Member

Is it possible that smokers can stay without smoking?
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

if you put your mind to it.

Sadly, I'm hearing that my ex son in law is having some chest/lung issues, he's 54 or so and even thou he quit smoking about 14 yrs ago, the damage has been done....he smoked since a very young kid.

He's very concerned and worried and we're all saying prayers for him.

I've never smoked, did my share of drinking, but NEVER drink anymore.....don't want it in my body.

This man lost a brother from cancer who was 50 from years of smoking and drinking....

So much misery and death from these cancer sticks, they should be outlawed just like guns as they both kill too many.

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2012]
  3. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Yes, you can quit and not smoke again. It's called willpower, and determination to do so. I smoked for 41 years, and at one point was up to 4 packs a day. I was a chain smoker. I quit or tried to quit 7 to times in my life, and every time I went back to smoking.

The last time I said enough is enough, and I quit. It was he'll, but I did it cold turkey, and suck with it. It's been almost 10 years, and yes, I have COPD, and asthma due to smoking. I would never pick up another cigarette again. I hate the smell of them.

<br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 12/03/2012</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2012]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Then picked up one cig at a party and was back to a pack a day within a week. I finally just stopped cold turkey. I realized that I could never, ever smoke again. I took it one day at a time but have been smoke free since '85. Unfortunately, the damage has been done. I have COPD. There is no such thing as a safe smoker. My neighbor smokes lightly and laughs in the faces of the docs who tell her to quit. She is overweight, has had stomach cancer, has an aneurism, and is dealing with wet macular degeneration in both eyes. She's pretty much lost the sight in one eye. I don't know that smoking hurts any of these conditons but I suspect it does; it certainly doesn't help. Death from smoking doesn't always come fast from a stroke or heart attack. My Dad, who was a doc, died a slow death from emphasema and, finally, a heart attack. He couldn't even walk a block without oxygen.

Intellectually, we know how bad smoking is but it's soooooo addictive that we need whatever tools we can amass to quit. It was looking at Dad's niccotine-stained fingers in the coffin which gave me the strength to stop. Find some kind of tool which will help you overcome the addiction. It can be different for each person but there is always something. I had a friend who quit for good in one of those slow withdrawal programs. That's not for me but it worked for her. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. jaminhealth

cigs and alcohol.

We're still waiting for results from former sil's longtime coughing, now they are saying could be tumor.

He smoked and drank TOO many years. He's only 54.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Member

I quit almost 20 years ago and will never start again. It was too hard to quit, and I know I would be like Mikie - if I had just one cigarette, I'd be hooked all over again. I don't want to smoke.

I read a very good book which helped when I quit - it said to think of all the reasons why you want to quit, no matter how shallow, for example: I was terrified of getting smoker's wrinkles. Vain, okay, but it worked. That scared me more than lung cancer.

The book also emphasized to think of all the good things that would happen when you quit, and make them as strong as possible, so each night before I went to sleep I would tell myself that when I quit, I would feel so good, have so much energy, my skin would look better, anything I could think of. I would envision myself hiking, anything that made me feel good, so that when my quit day finally arrived, I was actually looking forward to it. My brain had started to believe all these things.

And I used nicorette gum - it really helped. It took awhile to get off the gum, but was much easier to taper down and then finally cut it out than cigarettes.

I know lots of people who were former smokers and will never go back to it.

Mary
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that if they ever make Mary Jane legal, I won't be able to smoke it. I'll have to bake some Alice B. Toklas brownies.

Love, Mikie
  8. jaminhealth

Just heard my ex sil was given a tumor dx on his lung(s)...don't have all the details yet......HOPING for the best for him and my grandkids.

He's 54, his brother died at 50 from cancer, other brother deals with cancer....

They all smoked and drank...some still do.

This Poison Wins....
  9. mbofov

mbofov Member

Wow - I hope he is okay. That's tough news.

I know many of us smoked and drank, back in the day, and some are lucky to be dodging a bullet right now (I smoked for 27 years).

Mary
  10. mbofov

mbofov Member

One more thing - my now ex-husband smoked too, and I thought I could never quit unless he quit too, until my brother-in-law quit smoking, even though his wife still smoked ... so that excuse was gone, and that enabled me to quit, even though my now ex-husband smoked (he eventually quit several years later)

I credit Nicorette gum for taking the edge off enough that I could quit while living with someone who still smoked ---

Mary
  11. mbofov

mbofov Member

Not necessarily a bad thing, done in moderation :)

Mary
  12. jaminhealth

original poster is checking in here...haven't heard back from her.
  13. paulac7

paulac7 Member

You and me both--I smoked 2 packs a day for years....and I know I have an addictive personality, so 1 drag off of anything would probably be a baaaaad idea.

Even during my recent divorce, the few times I thought about lighting up--I knew it's been long enough since I smoked (2+ years) that it would just make me sick, and just irritate me more....

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done....people who have never smoked, really have no idea....

Paula >^.^<
  14. jaminhealth

who never smoked....mom hardly ever picked up a glass of alcoholic stuff....they owned a bar most of my early life and when a customer would buy her a drink, she would throw it down the drain when they didn't see.

Dad was another story on the booze, but no smoke.

Our parents are our first teachers....
  15. jaminhealth

it's lung cancer...now the treatments will start...for my grandkids dad.

Sure HOPE he's one that will benefit with the treatments....

I'd like to suggest things to him, but he's a very very conventional thinker re: health and any healing.[This Message was Edited on 12/29/2012]
  16. jaminhealth

appears my grandkids dad has stage 3 lung cancer,,,more tests to see if it's spread and then on to chemo and radiation...

Everyone is so upset and worried....
  17. bookitty123

bookitty123 New Member

I have stopped smoking cigerettes for two days now because I have to.I was dx:with Polyniod Edema on my left vocal cord.ENT doc told me to quit.I told him what about the E-Cigerettes and he siad that was fine.I smoe the NJOY cigs for now and they tast fine and I haven't had a craving yet.Look up Polynoid Edema and I promise you that if you care about your body you will want to stop ASAP.

bookitty123
  18. bookitty123

bookitty123 New Member

Hi Nicole,I stopped cigs.on 2/6/13 and picked up an electric cig. for about-off and on 2wks.What I found out was that it is the motion of my hand reaching for the cig.and the inhaling of the hit hitting the back of my throat.Now with the electric cig it started tasting like a steel taste so I put them down and I still sometimes reach for a cig but don't miss the smell on me,the smell in my car,the smell of my house in the day...my husband is still trying to quit.I didn't even think of his smoke bothering me.I was reacently diagnoised with Polynoid Edema which is a little lesion on my left vocal cord.I was losing my voice so I had to see an Ear-Nose-Throat doc.I go back in May to see how I am doing.Nicole you don't have to wait to be diagnosed to stop.I have been smoking steady since I was 12.I will see my 50th B-Day on 5/24.You can do it if you want.Good luck!!!

bookitty123
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2013]