Stop Smoking

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by NicoleJasmine, Dec 2, 2012.

1. smithj

smithj Member

I was a smoker too.
    I just couldn't be bothered to buy it anymore. i made a decision and it helped.
    U know everything is by decision, I believe a 20 years old can make a good decision. One thing i know is that it has a lot of effects in the fuutre and you wouln't want that. So quit straight away.
  2. chrisvon

chrisvon Member

It can be done with discipline
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Different methods work for different people. I quit cold turkey but my friend tapered off through a program. Some get help with patches or chewing gum. I think lifestyle changes are more successful when we make our own choices to do what is best for us and not because we are bowing to pressure from our families and society. I've never been successful at dieting. When I decided to work out aerobically for my heart and to drop junk carbs to avoid Type II Diabetes, the weight fell off. Motivation is very important in being able to stay the course. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. RamonaAndrews

RamonaAndrews Member

Yes it is possible if you have self-control.
  5. ludhiyaparker

ludhiyaparker Member

Yes! it is possible to quit smoking. there are two steps to quit smoking.
    1. start by taking electronic cigarette.
    2. take nicotine chewing gum
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

With all due respect, electronic cigarettes have posed safety problems, including explosions and fires. I wouldn't recommend them.

Some people do well with nicotine gum but nothing works for everyone. The gum continues to feed nicotine into the body so one will eventually need to wean off the gum. It certainly is better than introducing smoke into the system but will require a secondary weaning process.

It is better to get rid of nicotine and the actions of holding something like a cigarette in one's hands. The habit includes all the actions of smoking, like holding a cigarette between ones fingers and not just the addictive substances in the smoke itself. However, not everyone can quit cold turkey so the gum or Chantix may be the aid which will allow some people to quit.

I quit cold turkey but my friend, at the time, couldn't do that. She went to a class where they weaned off week by week. They kept losing places where they could smoke, eventually leading to nowhere that was acceptable. The first week, they were not able to smoke in their cars. If they wanted to smoke, they had to pull over and get out. It worked for my friend but, again, not everything works for everyone.

BTW, Chantix has some potential bad side effects, including disturbing nightmares. My friend here tried it but had to stop it. He decided to just go cold turkey without the Chantix and is doing well.

Smoking is such a huge health risk that I believe whatever works is what one should do to quit. Even if one stops and goes back to it, it's not too late to try again. It took two times for me to be able to do it. Good luck to everyone who is quitting.

Love, Mikie
  7. Maithyl16

Maithyl16 Member

Yes obviously. Because I think smoking is nothing but a hobby. It is absolutely depend on your mind. If you think that you'll not smoke anymore then it is possible.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like with all addictions, smoking pings the pleasure center in the brain, making people crave it. Actual changes take place in the brains of people who have addictions. It may not be as simple as just deciding not to smoke (or do drugs or overeat, etc.). Addictions are more complicated than that. There are quite a few ways to help people stop addictive behavior long enough for the body to rid itself of the lingering substances which continue to cause people to crave things which are so destructive. The desire may never go away completely but, the longer one is clean, the less control the urges have. Of course, people with addictions can never have 'just one' again. The only way not to smoke is not to smoke.

There are physical and psychological/emotional facets of addiction. I was able to stop smoking cold turkey but that may not work for everyone. Chantix, gum and/or some therapy may help. My friend who quit when I did joined a group and it was most helpful to her. Sometimes, people have to try different things and sometimes, they fall off the wagon and have to start over. What counts is that they keep on working at it until they are smoke free. It is well worth it in terms of health, money and social acceptance. Good luck to everyone who is stopping.

Love, Mikie
  9. Billoy Joe

Billoy Joe Member

Yeah obviously! Now a days it's not the big matter to quit smoking. Because many methods have come in already. You can try with vaping, e-juice, e-cigarettes and more. You can easily get an idea from here (commercial website URL removed by moderator)

Hope that help!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  10. ludhiyaparker

ludhiyaparker Member

If you are unable to quit smoking, then opt for an electric cigarette. problem solved!!!
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Warning about vaping or electric cigs--there have been problems with these devices and several have caught fire, one explosively. I'd try something different.

Love, Mikie
  12. rogitgarg4411

rogitgarg4411 Member

I quit almost a year age.
  13. rogitgarg4411

rogitgarg4411 Member

Yes you're right @dimplesharma
  14. dimplesharma

dimplesharma Member

Yes, it is possible that any smoker can stay without smoking My friend everything is possible in this world. You know smoking is very injurious to health. It may many health problems as hair fall and cancer. So avoid smoking if you want to look smart and healthy.
  15. rogitgarg4411

rogitgarg4411 Member

16. JimmyGold

JimmyGold Member

patients looking for easy relief can also apply CBD patches, which work in much of the same way as nicotine patches, which are used to cut out smoking. The patches have CBD extract mixed with a carrying agent and are kept fresh in a patch that is almost wet. You apply the patch onto a part of your body such as your arm.
  17. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Interesting about the CBD patches, @JimmyGold. I've never heard of that. I use CBD oil extract capsules for other reasons, but it makes sense it would help with nicotine addiction since CBD is so relaxing.

I smoked for years and smoked all day. I started reducing smoking in phases.

First, I stopped all day-time cigarettes and got used to smoking only at night when I was drinking. Then I reduced how much I drank, which let me reduce my smoking. It really got strongly associated in my mind that smoking was only to accompany drinking. I actually developed an aversion to smoking without a drink.

I really wanted to stop entirely, but couldn't give it up. Then my boyfriend agreed to stop smoking with me, and that's how I succeeded. I had found it impossible to stop smoking before when I had boyfriends who also smoked.

It was really hard to entirely give them up, but we did. What I found odd is that my boyfriend (now husband) had a much easier time stopping than I did although he had smoked much more than I did.

Something else that helped me was exercise. I know that many people with fibro can't exercise without crashing, but fortunately, I can, and that helped me quit.

I also needed something to do with my hands when I quit. I took up crocheting although I never learned how to make anything. I only did the simple stitch.

I crocheted many yards of nothing, but it did keep my hands busy, which helped tremendously.

Good luck! You can do it.
  18. brauneyz

brauneyz Member

I smoke and I've been a smoker for probably 17-18 years. Since the question was about "thoughts and experience, I'm going to stick to that, my personal experience.

I generally smoke a lot, but if need be I can last without cigarettes for quite a long time, a few days even.
    I can run faster than many non-smokers and I do HIIT workouts on a regular basis
    I usually smoke when I am: bored, angry or upset, when I need to think or make a difficult decision.
    I've tried to quit several times over the years. Failed obviously...
  19. contact2arun

contact2arun Member

Yes, It is Possible by nikotin chewing gum or patch. After use of it people will forgot to smoke gradually.
  20. CBD oil is a one of the best replacement, and if you want to leave smoking without any replacement, you must do it.