Stop talking to me like I'm dumb!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Feb 8, 2011.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

Good grief! I used to curse the happy skinny gardening or baking woman in the arthritis and fibro med commercials, mainly b/c I love to bake and garden but I cant last long enough to do much anymore. Now the Lyrica one has me going. It starts out with a woman rubbing her arm then she says "I used to have this deep blah blah pain. Then I found out that connected to our muscles are nerves..." WOW What a revalation! I wonder if she saw fireworks when she learned that bit of info? There are nerves all our body and she just got on mine! Really? Do the drug companies really think we are that dumb? I mean come on! If we are capable of asking our doctors about their magic pill like they ask us to at then end of their ad, then I think we know the very basics of anatomy.

I know I have bouts of brainfog. I'm sure the poor woman sitting in the car I tried to get into last week would attest to that, but I'm not dumb. (I really need to have a sign on my car that says HEY THIS IS YOUR CAR! b/c here in CO everyone has the same car, and it doesn't matter what kind of car you drive)

Sorry. I've been sick to my stomach for 2 days now and I usually don't watch tv w/commercials so I think the mix just set me off.

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

You right on all counts Kat and KJM !! Those commercials are very annoying to say the least and that is just the Bleeping least of the bleeping problems we all have.

What we all need is a miracle.

Hugz to you both,'
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I totally agree with you both that the lyrica commercials are "Fake" that woman does not have fibro she gets paid to say all that crap, I have read the side effects of it and there is no way in hades I will take it. It can and does cause weight gain. almost every person I talked to who has been on lyricia have gained weight, some over 60 lbs in less than a few months, even if they stop taking it they still gain weight and can't lose it at all. I am told that the side effects are terriable, headaches, weight gain, severe muscle pain, dizziness, constaptaion, and it goes on and on. Why would I want to take a drug that has a side effect of incresed muscle pain when I already have muscle pain, bone pain? That scares me, I have taken one med that inceased my pain levels and that was for cholestrol. I had finally found a med that eased my pain and I was feeling so much better , I could walk take walks, i was sleeping better and then I get my cholestrol tested ad it's high so my Md puts me on meds for it. with in days not weeks I could not walk, struggled with working, could not get the pain to ease in days my pain level had gone from a 3-4 to a 10+++. I stopped the med and even after two months of being off it,I never again have been that pain free.
    So why would I ever take some thing that has a chance of making me hurt more?I would love for that company to have a real person that has had fibro for a long time, who really takes lyricia, and can say that they did not get the bad side effects, but since that can't be done then why take it.
    I am one of the kind of people who if there is an unusual symptom, not heard of, strange, weird, I will be the one to get it. So I don't try meds like lyricia , or cymballta {sp] because I know that I will have that strange reaction which is more than I can deal with. I have now got on pain meds which help to ease my pain , they don't take it away ever but it ease my pain. But some times the hassle of taking a narncoitic pain med is upsetting and makes me wonder what I would do with out it, would my life be better with out it? maybe I would lose weight and again maybe I would be in so much pain that I would gain more becasue I can't move.
    I really would like for doctors and drug compainiies to talk to those of us who live with fibro, chronic pain, dibeties, and ask us what we think will help us , don't treat us as if we are children who need to be told how great tasting the medication is. {I remember being told that an antibotic would taste really good it didn't and I came back up fast} Don't feed us a line opf BS tell us that this med will do this and this and then hand us a list of side effects that are serious and in some case's could make us really ill or die from it. Treat me as a real person who lives with pain all the time, who does not sleep at night, who has pain in her back hips and sssome days even deep in side her bones. IF there is a med that can help me prove it to me first and if it pass's with out bad side effects then maybe I will take it. Your right all this talk of lllyricia is BS and if we had some one who really had fibro the sound would be BEEP!
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

where in CO are you??
  5. kat211

kat211 New Member

I'm in Denver.
  6. jole

jole Member

Thanks for making my day!!! Wish they would follow their commercial with your initial's great! Hugs........Jole
  7. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Rosemarie, all I can say to you is AMEN. You had said it all and beautifully.

When I first heard of Lyrica coming out I think back in 2006, I just knew it was a joke. This med is nasty nasty nasty. Although I have not taken it, and will not take it, the side effects are numerous and dangerous. The drug companies are clueless about FM and CFS.

I too, have strange reactions to drugs with my FM. It is a rare doctor who was ever willing to listen and understand what I was talking about, so eventually, I stopped talking

Like you had said, IF there is a med that can help me, it has to be proven to me first, otherwise, NO GO. This list of side effects with the kind of drugs they want to give us is tragic. Also, we are not laboratory rats, where doctors want to throw these "side effect" drugs at us and "wait and see what happens" after we take them.

As far as Lyrica goes, how in the world is anyone with fibro going to feel better when they gain 60 pounds on a drug in such a short period of time? Dont they understand how dangerous this is for an FM person, or anybody else? This is dangerous not just physically, but emotionally too? This is just adding more problems, if not now, then down the road it will.

The drug companies are patronizing to say the least. Hugs, Chelz.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Kat, I'm up North in Ft. Collins/Loveland area. I did live in Denver for a while after High School then for a short time in my late twenties. I loved it. What area are in?

Yeah, let's all go on Lyrica, open a bakery, we can grow our own garden, indoor rock climb on our lunch hours, then teach a class at the local university on Tues/Thursdays. Hey, we can make a special cupcake w/Lyrica just for us! If we're gonna gain weight anyway, it might as well be disguised in Red Velvet, right?

Regarding Lyrica. I tried that and Neurontin when I was first diagnosed. I was anxious to try anything.
    Unfortunately for me, my family and I have a friend who has had miraculous results on Lyrica for Fibro (no weight gain either) so that's pretty much what I hear about. "Isn't that amazing?" "Why can't you take that again?" type stuff. Don't get me wrong, my family is very supportive, but... Of course, I'm extremely very happy for this woman. She has gotten her life back. She still has bad day at times, but her main trigger is STRESS. When she is stressed out she goes into some bad flares. So on one hand it's good for my family to know that as well. They are very aware of what stress does to me (to all of us) and they pretty much try very hard to help eliminate it from my life if they have any say in it at all. That to me, is very considerate and helpful.

Then I hear about how many other people take it and it helps from "normal" people. Hmmm, really? How many out of how many? I then start spewing my stats and then that it doesn't matter anyway because I couldn't tolerate it. Truthfully I can't remember my exact side effects because I have tried so many different medications in 4 years that they are all melding together at this point. All that matters to me is that it's a no-go for me.

On the one hand, I'm happy that Fibro is being mentioned in the main stream media. I just don't like it downplayed. Show me someone laying in bed, who isn't all put together during the day, then maybe if Lyrica works for them, they can get out of their pajamas at least, not
    roto-til their yard suddenly. Just a little realism wouldn't be so offensive and off putting.
    For the ones it helps, it does seem to really help so it's fine to show that - just show how Fibro can be without any meds that "might" help. I'd rather have the world know how serious Fibro is.

Off my soap box now.... =)

9. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I agree, its very sickening. They make it sound like their medication is going to give you life again!

I personally could not take Lyrica, but know for a fact that even something stronger does not make you able to do what they claim Lyrica can do!
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow, it must be an epidemic. I TRIED to get in another car today. The whole time I was thinking to myself that I didn't remember locking the car door, which should have been a clue, but I kept right on hitting the key fob.

Well it was white like my car. Fortunately, no one was in the car.

Lyrica did not work for me and I gave it a good try.

I like to call it "ly REEK a".

Seriously though, those commercials are soooo irritating. Why don't they spend money on other things such as, oh I don't know, a drug that helps more people? Nah, too logical.

But, oh to be that 30%.

11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I will not be ususing lyricia ever, I need to lose weight , not gain more to add to my already pain filled knee's from osteo-arthtitis, I want to lose weight and I know that for every pound I lose I also lose 4 psi in my knee's. So if I gain wieght I will be adding another 4 psi to my all ready painfilled knees. How I wish that there was some thing that would help me and not have all the side effects that all medications have. I am on Msconitn and MSIR, soma, visteril and xanax, they all have side effects and while they may ease my pain to a degree I still have to live with the side effects from them why add more? What if my meds and lyricia are not compadalbe with each other? I am then once more up a creek with out a paddle. So I think i better stay with my meds I am on now and not mess with things. May be some day research will find some thing that will really help us with our fibro, myofacial pain symdrome as well as the rest of the other problems that come along with fibro for the ride.
    I just want a medicatoin to work like it has been said to work and not add other issues to the rest of my medical issues that have come after the fibro dx.
    Thanks for letting me gripe
  12. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

LOL! I sure am glad it helps 30% of us. I tried it, and long story short, I ended up in the hospital. I won't touch it with a 10 ft. pole. I've tried just about every med over the years, and nothing works for me. I have found that meds affect me in detrimental ways. I have prayed for ways to find relief, and the Lord has led me to some natural remedies that help.

(I would be glad to share what I've found helps me, if anyone is interested. All natural things you can do at home - without spending any $. I'm still suffering, and still disabled - in other words, not a miracle cure, but greatly helps with symptoms...)

You all gave me some much needed chuckles with your sarcasm... I can totally identify with each of you!

Gentle hugs,

13. kat211

kat211 New Member

Ok, the laughing is good, but hurts. This stupid hernia! I can't eat, laugh, walk the dogs, exercise, well, basically much of anything without heaving or being in excrutiating pain. Surgery is looking better and better.

Oh, sorry, there goes the rambling thing again. So, this post has gotten me thinking. The insurance money from the break-in last month is coming in a couple days. I am going to replace one of the video cameras that was stolen right away so my aspiring George Lucas can make a proper commercial for us!

If you have any more suggestions keep 'em coming. Just remember, he is only 7, well 8 tomorrow (can you hear my sobs?)

We'll show them how it REALLY is!
  14. Doober

Doober New Member

I think most if not all, ads for prescription medications on TV are really a waste of time.

Think about it, if Lyrica has been out since before 2006 as someone mentioned here, wouldn't most people who need this med have been given a prescription for it by now?

Ads for this, Cymbalta, sleep medication and "E.D." are years and years after the drugs have been on the market.

DRs are given the information on the drugs and their studies. They are the ones who say "hey, let's try this one or that one?" and have to write the prescriptio out whcih is then filled by a pharmacist. People wonder why they are having problems with the DRs, because we see these ads and then tell them what to do and what to subscribe. We know that DRs do not like to be told what to do.

Lyrica and Cymbalta ads in my opinion are adding fuel to the fire of the non-believers out there. Why, because people who never see a DR all of a sudden are now self-diagnosing themselves. People hear the symptoms on TV and then go hmmm, I have pain sometimes. Wow I have fibro".

Then they tell other people that they have fibro because of what they hear on these ads. When someone like many of us do suffer from Fibro and we say something, they tend to play it down because so and so also has it and they are fine???

I mean, tylenol, advil and all the cold meds are fine for TV ads because you have a choice over the counter to pick which one you want without a prescription.