Stop using the microwave, start steaming your vege

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi everyone

I've had my boyfriend harping on about vegetables for the last 6 months now. He has even bought me a steamer and banned me from using the microwave.

I thought he was being abit over the top, but I've checked it out, and I think he might be right... it seems that cooked vegetables and fruits, grains, and beans provide more nutrients and are more easily digested than raw ones.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/april04/healingwise.htm

It contains a lof refereces to back it up.

In addition to this, there was an article in the new scientist magazine that stated this, and it also compared the difference between different ways of cooking vegetables:

1. Microwave
    2. Boiling
    3. Steaming

They measured the levels of antioxidants in the vegetables before and after cooking.

By far the best was the steaming. Microwave was the worst. In fact, cooking your veges by boiling them, and then tipping the water down the sink is still better than the mircowave.

I'm now only using the microwave for emergencies, and have started using the steamer - they do take longer to cook but I think its worth it.

Food for thought!

Take care everyone
    Michelle

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think it's a good idea too, our bodies need all the nutrients that we can get.

Funny, I just bought some microwave veggies that come in a steam pack. I'd never seen them before and decided to try it.

This might be another small change we can make on the road to wellness...

Nancy B.
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

Tupperwarw brand,,,,,,,3 piece.......

bottom and then the holey part and a tight fitting lid.

Veggies from it is wonderful.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have a stainless steel pot that has two steam layers and I use it all the time. I was wondering about pressure cooking. My mom used to pressure cook all the time and the stuff seemed to be very flavorful.

It is quicker to steam than to microwave, plus there is a lot of debate about safety of food, which I am open about.
    We tend to use ours to heat up the heat pads and occasional reheating of food.

Love Anne Crom
  5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member