stopped drinking mt. dew and have felt like dodo...why?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shannon, Sep 12, 2002.

1. shannon

shannon Guest

I have heard that a person can have withdrawls from caffine but my god i feel as if i am dying...my tummy is burning, my head feels like I am carrying 100lbs on top of it, and i feel crummy all over. Has anyone else stopped drinking caffine and felt like this?.why would not drinking it make you feel worse then when you do?. I drank 4 to 6 a day...
  2. shannon

shannon Guest

I have heard that a person can have withdrawls from caffine but my god i feel as if i am dying...my tummy is burning, my head feels like I am carrying 100lbs on top of it, and i feel crummy all over. Has anyone else stopped drinking caffine and felt like this?.why would not drinking it make you feel worse then when you do?. I drank 4 to 6 a day...
  3. tammy

tammy Guest

Withdrawals is the key. Mt Dew has aLOT of caffiene and sugar unless of course it is diet.
    I drink diet coke and I can tell when I need a fix.

I have tried to start to increase my water. I can tell my skin and body is suffering from lack of H2O.
  4. Karrot

Karrot New Member

Shannon - I used to drink 6 or more cups of coffee a day. I know how icky it feels to try and quit caffeine. I imagine it's worse with the sugar-filled Mt. Dew. You really have to give your body some time to adjust - but believe me, when your body does clear out that awful stuff you will feel soo much better. Start integrating water into your drinking diet. That was the hardest part for me - I HATED water. But if you force yourself long enough, you actually learn to like it. And your body LOVES it. Just don't give up - it's such a good move toward bettering your health.

Good luck!
    Karrot
  5. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I quit caffinee cold turkey also and felt so bad. My doctor told me if I got to getting too bad of a headache from it to drink a small glass of coke and take tylenol with it. It helps. The tea thing is a good idea also.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  6. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

of regular pepsi a day, so I know where you're coming from. I also hated water, now I drink 6-8 glasses a day. I have maybe 1 small glass of caffeine-free pepsi a day.

I withdrew gradually so I didn't get the bad withdrawal symptoms as you have. Definitely increase the water (do a search messages "Kurt"..he had a post on water which had a lot of great advice about different ways to have it.

If, and I repeat if, you can trust yourself to not backslide, & you're drinking mega amounts of water, I personally would either have a small cup of coffee or another kind of soda (sm. glass & not mt. dew) to take the edge off. This is just what I would do, you have to do what's right for you.

But I will tell you, I feel much better since I gave up the caffeine & drink so much water...which I now can't go anywhere without. If you'd have told me that a year ago I'd be happy without my pepsi, I'd have laughed in your face & walked away! lol

Hang in there...you can do it. Michele
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That is not an easy addiction to get through.

I was addicted to Coca Cola, would go out at three in the morning if I ran out of coke to buy some.

I also drank pots of coffee a day, yes 12 cup pots of strong coffee.

I got ulcers, well the first thing I had to do was stop both.

I started drinking hot tea, and just juices for the coke.

It took time, and I was miserable. I would have snapped the head off of a live rattle snake I was so mean!

Wish someone would have told me about the water drinking at time, but I did not drink any water at all. It will take the edge off.

It took about two weeks with the tea and the juice. Now I am caffeine free!

I do drink a cup of coffee in the morning now, but thats it. As for the coke, strange as it seems, I don't even like the taste of it anymore.

Someone mentioned drinking water (sorry fog, can't remember who said it), I drink half my weight in ounces of water a day, it has helped with sinus attacks and headaches too which I used to suffer with almost daily.

Go to; www.watercure.com Its an interesting read about why your body needs water and what happens when you don't drink enough, and how most of us are dehydrated.

Stick with it, its not easy, but you are going to feel so much better when you get off the caffeine.

Shalom, Shirl