stopped receiving SSI because of unemployment

Discussion in 'Financial, Disability and Legal Resources' started by NewEnglander, Oct 13, 2009.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

around six months ago my husband lost his job, the pay wasn't great, but it did get us by.
    now he receive unemployment.
    Because of the this I have stopped receiving all of my SSI benefits.
    it was a little over six hundred a month.
    we were depended on this money.
    my husband as left home to look for work, so now I'm very broke.
    I told this to the SSI
    inorder for me to receive my benefits back I would have to say that he has left home for good.
    for six months I struggled with this.
    I want to tell them that he is living home so I can get my benefits back.
    I know people do this all this all the time.
    but I'm too honest and think that they would probably find out anyway.
    any ideas on how I can get back my benefits.
    I'm not greedy. just afraid of loosing my home.
    thanks for listening
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

All monies received by adults at home are subject to be included when calculating your SSI. That is why when you have another adult come to live at your home, it impacts your SSI. When your husband began to collect unemployment that added additional money to the home and thus took away your SSI money. The government is not going to pay your household the unemployment AND SSI as it was over the government SSI guidelines.

Remember that if your husband lives there now and receives unemployment and you still receive SSI, you know you are cheating and you know that is against SSI rules. It only takes a neighbor to rat you out or SSI to check up somehow. (Remember many people and neighbors are out of unemployment, have no money coming in and resent anyone on disability--so you don't want to get caught cheating again.) Since you already knew it was against the rules, to do it again means you would potentially be committing fraud and SSI could proceed in many ways and you risk they might press charges against you, require you repay the SSI monies you received during that period and/OR could place a restriction that you could not receive SSI help for so many years.
    They can play tough when they want to. A woman wrote in about a year or two ago on another board and she had money in another account and they found it. For fraud, she lost the ability to be on SSI for several years as punishment for violating their rules. It's just not worth the chance and you lose medical and food stamps too.

Also know the different branches of government are connected with computers particularly looking for cheats in this bad economy--and taxpayers are demanding that cheats be weeded out. If you try to get SSI again, it will undoubtedly sprout red flags because you were already caught once for violating their rules and lost your SSI (and you might even find you are already off SSI for a set period of time anyway because of that incident). So even if you get SSI back and your husband comes to live with you the odds are you will be caught eventually.

[This Message was Edited on 10/14/2009]
  3. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

its not that I'm afriad of getting caught, my husband was gone for three months.
    but I didn't want to put in writing that we were split up.
    we were not split up he left town to look for work. and I didn't receive any help from his unemployment, he needed every penny when he was gone, he had to survive while he looked for work, that just put us in more debt.
    what I don't understand is why when he was working and making more money I received my benefits and now that he is making less I don't receive them.
    anyway, there's nothing I can do about that, I just wondering if there was another way to supplement are income. maybe even through ssd, I did work for quite a few years before my last car accident.
    thanks
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Let me try to explain to you the difference between Social Security Disability (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). First, SSDI you must have worked for a long period to have gotten enough work credits to qualify to get SSDI. SSI means you didn't have enough work credits and is technically considered an almost type of "welfare" or "aid" program and with such they keep close tabs on your income--the same does not apply to SSDI.

So if you lacked enough work credits and had to go on SSI, you cannot now turn around and go on SSDI--in fact you will never be able to go on SSDI unless you come off of SSI and return to work full time for a long time then become disabled again and go through the entire SSD application process and get approved.

Here is Social Security's official explanation of SSDI and SSI:

What is the difference between Social Security disability and SSI disability?

The Social Security Administration is responsible for two major programs that provide benefits based on disability: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), which is based on prior work under Social Security, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Under SSI, payments are made on the basis of financial need.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is financed with Social Security taxes paid by workers, employers, and self-employed persons. To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, the worker must earn sufficient credits based on taxable work to be "insured" for Social Security purposes. Disability benefits are payable to blind or disabled workers, widow(er)s, or adults disabled since childhood, who are otherwise eligible. The amount of the monthly disability benefit is based on the Social Security earnings record of the insured worker.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a program financed through general revenues. SSI disability benefits are payable to adults or children who are disabled or blind, have limited income and resources, meet the living arrangement requirements, and are otherwise eligible. The monthly payment varies up to the maximum federal benefit rate, which may be supplemented by the State or decreased by countable income and resources. See Understanding Supplemental Security Income for an explanation of SSI benefit payment rates.

FROM: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=245
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2009]
  5. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

If you read my post you would have seen how I posted that i was too honest and could not do that even though I know other do this.
    anyway, I lost my SSI benefits permanently because my husband received unemployment for so long and my case was stagnant, now it is dismissed and I am trying to get it back, my husband has not receive unemployment for a very long time now, we has no income, and I try to work and just keep ending up in the ER, I have never been dishonest in anything, and am proud of it, regardless of the state that I am in or what others may assume, for whatever reason.