Stopped to help dog hit by car todayso sad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Sep 15, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I live on a private road with 5 houses/trailers. When I was on my way to work there was a beagle laying in the middle of the road.

I pulled over and got out. He had a 3 inch diameter hole in his chest and was still breathing. His shoulder had been dislocated and was stickinig out of the hole!

I called my vet and they said call animal control. So I did. I was able to find out who's dog it was but no one was home.

So I got a bag of dog food out of my car (prepacked for my trip) to sit on and sat beside him and talked and petted him for almost an hour, then animal control came and took him to a vet.

When I first got there I moved him off the to the side of the road and walked back over to get my cell phone and he got up and hobbled over on 3 legs to me and layed down.

This was heart breaking to sit there was watch him suffer. If I would take my hand off of him he would immediately raise it and look at me like don't stop just stay with me.

I don't understand how anyone could hit a dog and drive away. It just makes me so mad. As I was sitting there a woman stopped to talk to me, this is a narrow road on a hill with a big curve.

All of a sudden here comes a pick up flying around the curve towards us and I jumped up and held my had up like SLOWWWW DOWWNNNNNN. The woman drove on and the truck just went on. Idoits, I tell you, idiots.

I called the vets awhile ago and asked about him but since I wasn't the owner they would not tell me anything.

I made some calls to help locate the owner to let them know where he was so they could start treatment. I was told by animal control, if the injuries are life threatening they put them to sleep.

If they can be fixed they wait for the owner to contact them before doing any work, they want to get their money.

My heart hurt so much over this little guy. I had a beagle last year, a stray that stayed for a couple of months, then he and several other beagles in the area all came up missing. Strange huh. His name was Snoop and he was a sweety.

I was 45 minutes late for work but didn't care, I was not leaving this little fellow lay there alone. I have only met the owners once, their beagle was one that was missing too. They are young and don't seem to have a lot so my guess is they will put him down instead of fixing him.

Part of me wants to take him in and have him fixxed, if possible and keep him. I don't really have the money to spare but I can't help myself.

They would have to remove his front leg, but other than that I think he would be ok. He would not be able to get up and walk the way he did if he had internal injuries.

There was not a lot of blood for such a big hole, so hopefully the owners will take care of him.

Sorry to ramble on, but it really was a horrible thing to see. Thanks for reading if you made it all the way threw-Carla
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Bless you. This dog may just recover. We had a similar incident some years ago and the dog had intestines hanging out and lived.

Hope the owners decide to treat as it can be spendy, and it worries me if the dog was roaming. The one we helped, had escaped from a fenced yard. Hopefully.......he will be fine.

Love you so much for doing this. Heaven is watching angels like you.

Love Anne
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

How awful for that poor dog and how wonderful of you to stop, take care of the situation and then stay with the animal until help arrived.

I would hope if I ever saw something like this that I'd do the same thing.

Wow, no matter what happens to the dog, you've done a great job to give him/her comfort in their time of need.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I am so glad for him that you stopped! Well done, Carla; thank goodness someone with a loving heart saw him :)

Your talking to him & comforting him was the best thing - exactly what any traumatized creature needs most immediately.

Thank you on behalf of animal lovers everywhere.

Roseblossom

5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I am an animal lover too. It hurts too see an animal suffer like this. I hope that the little guy will survive. Beagles are so cute.

But if he doesn't at least he had a warm wonderful person there with him at the end to hold him. Animals are so appreciative of this kind of thing.

Your story is bringing tears to my eyes.

hugs from another furbaby lover
    Marion (Redwillow)

6. ckball

ckball New Member

I don't feel like I did anything that any of you would have not done. I did what I had to do.

I don't have any info on his condition, the vet would not release to me and I don't think the owners had been contacted. They would just me he was still there.

I am going to drive by their house on my out in the morning.

I just had so much to tonight to go over and their number is unlisted. I just have her neighbors number and have called her twiced today so I didn't want to bother her again.

I felt his spirit with me, I think this dog can make it. While I was waiting I walked about 1oo yards to the next house to ask if it was theirs and she told me who he belongs too.

But they were gone. When I walked back to the dog he looked up and wagged his tail once. I never left his side after that.

Well I must get my doggies in, it is bath time before the big trip tomorrow. They always know bath time, I have to change things up on Have a great weekend-Carla
  7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

You just have such a great heart! I really don't know
    how you do all the things you manage to do with being ill
    and all. Now you want to consider taking on another respon
    siblity! You are indeed a wonderful LADY!!

Respectfully yours,
    MRDAD
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

What a great thing for you to do. I bet the dog wishes that YOU were his owner!!

I wonder if the animal control officer checks up on animals like that that he takes to the vet? If so, maybe he could give you some info on how he is doing.

I agree with the others, you were the angel of the day!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Ckball,

Bless you.... You are a very kind and caring soul, many would just drive on. I do hope the little guy is ok now. Let us know.
    Cindy
  10. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Bless your heart, you are a real human being!!

I once heard a pickup truck hit a neighbor's little dog. It's an awful sound and one I hope to never hear again.

Got to the dog in time to see the truck moving away very slowly...had just enough time to make note of the license number.

I went to the neighbor, got her and, together, we carefully put little dog (sorry, I've forgotten dog's name) onto a largish piece of counter-top I had. Called a vet: "We're coming in, got a hit-and-run dog that needs help NOW."

Put dog/board into her car and raced to vet. The little guy was too broken to help; apparently the S O B had run over him.

DogMom was in hysterics, so I held the dog while he got his Good Bye shot. We both cried all the way home.

THEN was when I was mad enough to check with neighbors to find out who this guy in the truck was. Found out, by golly.

I went to his house, banged on the door till he answered. "What do YOU want?" asked the ugliest and biggest man I ever saw.
    "You ran over my neighbor's dog, you are the man I saw driving away, I got your license number, and you at the very least owe my neighbor an apology because her dog is dead."
    "I never ran over any dog and anyway, I've been home all day." Slam! went the door.

I called Animal Control, local Sheriff's office, police station in the nearest town of any size. All those agencies told me words to the effect of "We didn't see it happen, we have only your word, there's nothing we can do."

Carla, I'm rambling, too...and I'm sorry for that...this happened years ago and it still hurts both that the little guy got run over and no supposed help agency would do a D****D thing.

Lea.