STOPPED WORK TO SLOW DOWN & HAVE BEEN HURTING 24/7 FOR 2 1/2 MOS.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betty50victor, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

I just read a post about knowing when to slow down before fibro pain/aches kick in. It was good info, BUT, I can't get rid of the aches and excruciating pain in hips. No matter how much I rest. I walk doggie 4 times a day for about 20-30 mins. at a time so that at least I am getting some exercise. No meds. are working for me. I have stopped all the fast food junk since I'm not working and that hasn't helped either.
    I had to sell my condo and have to pack and be out in a month. I just can't get the energy or want to do it. I know I have to but I need someone to push me. I've NEVER been like that in my whole 48 yrs of life.
    I'm just so scared that I am just gonna keep getting worse. That's the direction this DD is going, so far.
    This may sound terrible, but, sometimes I just wish that I had a disease like cancer or lupus or MS cause the Drs. have options to work with and have known ways of curing them or at least ways to make you be able to live and hold down a job.
    Sorry, I'm rambeling on......
    Any comments on the 24/7 pain/aches appreciated.

Betty in Valencia CA
  2. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

I just read a post about knowing when to slow down before fibro pain/aches kick in. It was good info, BUT, I can't get rid of the aches and excruciating pain in hips. No matter how much I rest. I walk doggie 4 times a day for about 20-30 mins. at a time so that at least I am getting some exercise. No meds. are working for me. I have stopped all the fast food junk since I'm not working and that hasn't helped either.
    I had to sell my condo and have to pack and be out in a month. I just can't get the energy or want to do it. I know I have to but I need someone to push me. I've NEVER been like that in my whole 48 yrs of life.
    I'm just so scared that I am just gonna keep getting worse. That's the direction this DD is going, so far.
    This may sound terrible, but, sometimes I just wish that I had a disease like cancer or lupus or MS cause the Drs. have options to work with and have known ways of curing them or at least ways to make you be able to live and hold down a job.
    Sorry, I'm rambeling on......
    Any comments on the 24/7 pain/aches appreciated.

Betty in Valencia CA
  3. fibolady

fibolady New Member

here, we understand;} do you lay on the coach when you are home? i found when i started sitting in a comfortable chair at night this helped my hip pain. also, sleep with a pillow between your legs. (although i have a problem with the pillow moving out during the night) i have a post to spedding who should reply soon and will have some great information (always does).

maybe you are walking too much. i know this sounds crazy, but some days i have to not walk much at all, just around the house and stretch and my body will slowly recover. maybe just 5 or 10 minute walks with the dogs. love your llapso, i had a shitzu for 18 years and they are great companions.

sorry you have to leave your condo and i know the packing seems overwhelming. try to pack in smaller boxes, not too heavy and do a little at a time.

warm regards, fibolady in nc
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Sleeping with a pillow between my legs (if I am on my side) or under my knees (if on my back) have helped somewhat and I haven't had as much pain and stiffness when I first get out of bed in the morning. Getting out of bed is a little easier now. I also take three ice packs to bed with me-one for my neck area, one for the back, and then on whatever hip is bothering me. When my hips are really bad, I try to sleep on my back to take the pressure off of them from laying on my side. Some people have suggested soaking in the bathtub with epsom salts (since they are high in magnesium). I may try that tonight when I get home.

I think fibrolady may be right-you might be exercising too much and your hips are retaliating. I exercise four to five times a week, but only for 30 minutes each time. That seems to be the right amount of time for me.

I know this disease can be scary and living with the uncertainty of not knowing if or when it will get worse and if you will eventually be disabled is very scary. I try to live each day at a time and do a lot of praying. I also have endometriosis and correspond with two women who have this. I think the people who do the best are the ones who keep trying and have a good support system (other people with the disease). Very often family members do not understand and are not always very supportive. My husband is finally coming around that this is not a curable disease at this time, but at least I'm not going to die from it. Although some days (like today) I've been having more pain and more tired than normal and you feel like you can't go on at times.

Finding this website has been a blessing for me and for the other people writing in. I am so impressed with the love and support from everyone. So never worry that you sound like you are whining or rambling on since we really do understand! Hope tomorrow is a better day for you-I am hopeful I will have one, too!

Ellen
  5. Tenderlove

Tenderlove New Member

Hey I wanted to let you know that I agree with the reply you got from one of the guest online you are probably doing to much walking, shorten up the walks and are you walking to fast, sometime I have to slow everything down, and as far as getting any help do you have United Ways in CA, they are wonderful here in North Carolina and they are my lifesupport more than anyone else has ever been, when I didn't feel like I could make it through another day. Also, do you have a church family or anyone that can do the work of boxing up for you. Don't beat yourself up with this stuff. you aren't to blame and you can't do any more than you already are. Hope you get better soon, another thing I go to a chiropractor who using the Atlas method and it has helped alot, His name is Dr. John Bocella and I'm sure you could call and they could give you names for someone in CA his number is 919-954-1718. Or again United Ways can probably help you find one. Good luck
  6. Ness

Ness New Member

One of the first things that I had to stop doing was walking my dog. If I even try, I pay for it later and the pain in my hips and upper back is awful.

I have much better results and less pain if I walk on a treadmill verses the street.. Remember that the dogs pull on you while they walk and this could cause you to get all thrown out.

Take Care of Yourself... I know one of the hardest things for me to accept is that I had to slow down and change some of my favorite activities in order to have less pain....This DD is just so unkind and sneaky to us at times

Peace to You
    Ness
  7. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

When being diagnosed, I was in the middle of gooing to school, to try and find a vocation, which is computers.. so not to have to do anything strenuous. I was having some pre symptoms of fibro at the time. But now I am finding that this vocation, its hard as physical work too. There aint no way I can do anything physical. The computer job, its hard on my head. Like concentrating. I worked a week, then now am thinking about going part time. I just cannot handle full time right now.

Definitly stop walking the dog, like one mentioned. Maybe cut back on that. It could be keeping you in flares. Exercise is important, but then overdoing it, its a awful thing. It will cause flares, or keep you in them.

I also am having to move. With my inability to work for awhile , and my husband also getting hurt at work for a time, he is still off work too. Collecting workers comp.

Anyways, we had to file bankruptsy, losing our house. And right now its hard to even find a apartment or house to move into, because of the filing of bankruptsy.

I am having a packing party soon. Friends and relatives are coming to my house for the day, like a saturday. And going to help us pack. Going to order pizzas and stuff for whoever helps. Maybe that would be a good idea for you too?

The church I belong to, they are a blessing for sure. They are letting us use some vehicles, and 10 so far have offered to help, in moving the heavy things, because I cant, or my husband cant. So definitly find some help too with that?

Sometimes I too wish it was a diagnosis of something else. But then really thinking about it, there really isnt that much help either for them diseases.

Take care of you. Thats most important. Take it easy, cut back on activities, talk it over with the doctor that meds arent working. Find some less strenuous activities that you may be interested in to pass time.

Keep your chin up. I know its hard. And I know you probably dont believe it, but things will get better.

:)

Peace~Sunshyne
  8. Gardengal

Gardengal New Member

Betty -
    Your story sounds very familiar. I also have fibromyalgia and am having the hardest time yet getting out of this stupid flare up. Hate to say it, but it sounds like you are doing too much. I cannot stand how little I am capable of doing some days. My therapist says I need to embrace my pain and see it as a gift. I've got a way to go before getting there. BUT, when I do take it easy with the right frame of mind, it does make a difference. It is so hard to have faith some days. I have had acupuncture 4 times in the last 8 days, and it has helped tremendously!! I'm like someone with an addiction problem - one day at a time for not overdoing it. Guess I'm rambling too. Hope you find your answer soon! Amy
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Betty, I know how you feel! My FMS hits me worst in the hips! You are walking too much. You should only walk 30 minutes a day, but no more. Or if you need to walk the dog 4 times a day, go 10 minutes each time. The last time I had a bad flare in my hips, my doctor prescribed Lidocaine patches. They have to be prescribed, they're not over-the-counter. You peel off the back and put one on the painful area. You can only keep them on for 11 hours at a time, and then you have to wait 11 more hours to put another one on. I only use them when I'm in really bad pain, and it does help. She also gave me Darvocet, which I also take only when I can't stand the pain any more. A hot bath or whirlpool helps too. I work part-time - 4 hours a day - and I find working keeps my mind off of myself and my pain. Also, when I'm in that extreme pain, I like to sit on my comfy couch and not move! I watch TV (usually it's too difficult to read) and try not to move. I have found you have to balance exercise with rest. You need both of them. I hope you feel better soon.

Annette2
  10. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I went on medical leave in June of this year and think my symptoms have gotten worse too. This flare actually started last fall, so we're getting close to a year here ... but the pain has been so bad over the last couple of months I've had to use pain meds, which I really hate to do.

Believe me, I understand exactly what you're saying about having a more "recognized" illness ... it might be easier to explain to people. My poor mom just doesn't seem to grasp FMS at all, altho she calls me every time there's something on the radio or in her paper about it. At least we're getting more press that we did in 1982 when I was first diagnosed!

Jan ^v^
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I noticed when I am not doing anything, like moving around, and not exercising, just a little. That the flares and pain is worse. If I sleep too much, the same thing. Then also when I overdo it, and still learning that too, that the flares are worse.

I am getting to know my body better, and can sense when I am overdoing it. It takes time to get to this point. Just take it easy, listen to your body. Write a journal too helps, so you can look back and maybe find what triggers the pain.

Its like trial and error.

12. lindasue

lindasue New Member

I KNOW!!!!!!This crap hit me again 3 weeks ago after 2 years of "LIFE" filled with working, shopping, running around all over the place and enjoying life pain free (except for my TMJ and a few aches and pains daily. But nothing like what I am having now...."MY" pain is all the time. I take Darvaset 5 to 8 a day. It helps for a while and I feel a little better for a couple of hours. Then the pain started screaming at me again! I feel like I am being attacked from the inside of my body - out. An the pain is worse in some areas then others....then it moves to attack another part of me. My heart goes out to you. I quit work on Friday..(I still have to train a girl for my job and I don't know how I'm going to do it. I just vacuumed my "small" home and picked up a few things today and I'm in pain and worn out.....I live in Monrovia, CA. just by Pasadena and if I can be of some help to you I will. My husband works out in Santa Clarita..right by you. I don't know....perhaps I'm rambling as well but what the heck...at least we're here!! If you need anything just email me @ dlindasue1@aol.com.
    God's blessing
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2002]
  13. PMangels

PMangels New Member

You are not rambling and we are glad to listen and give ideas that works for us. What works for me is a body pillow. I put it between by legs and hug the top to rest my arm on because I have shoulder/upper arm pain from a rotator cuff injury. It also helps keep my body in straight alignment. Both my knees are bent at the same degree. I can't have the top leg bent more over the top than the bottom or I really get hip pain and back pain.

When I walk, I walk a couple of blocks and back until I can tolerate that. Then you can gradually add a half block or so. But overduing can make it worse. Having a good pair of shoes is a must. My physcial therapist recommended New Balance for me and I also add more support inside. That helps reduce the shock on ones legs. At least this works for me. Hope this along with what the others suggested will work for you. And I hope your pain will get less soon.

Love,
    Arlene
  14. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

hire some high school or colledge kids to help you pack and all? We pay $5.oo phr to high school kids to help us out and they like the instant money. Have you called the doc? Maybe they can give you some pain meds to get you through. Hope all goes well and please don't OD.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  15. hope2002

hope2002 New Member

I've been reading all your posts. I want you to know there is hope. One in which you won't have to suffer anymore. Am I allowed to give my email address here?

I have done much research over the years. I help a lot of people. I saved one man from having heart surgery. I reversed my diabetes and will soon be reversing my Fibromyalgia. I also learned how to cure my high blood pressure and have thrown my blood pressure pills away. Off of them now for four weeks and won't need them again.

I must stress that I do not want anything for helping people. I just wanted to pass along what the Lord so graciously gave me.....an answer. I am not selling a thing. I just want to help.

The Lord never meant for us to be ill. He does give us the means to get well if we become sick. I'd like to share what I know with you so you don't have to suffer anymore. Anyone interested? I have medical proof to back up what I say. I really enjoy studying medical information.

Why doesn't your doctor tell you how to get well? For one thing, the drug companies would lose about $80 BILLION a year if we all "got well". Think about it.

Hugs,
    Betty