Stopping by after long absence to ask...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Callum, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

... How is everyone?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Nice to hear from you. Are you still treading the boards? I've been reading various
    show biz books as usual. Just finished "MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot and
    Carol Burnett's latest book. Am currently reading Betty White's latest.

Carol and Betty were both talented and lucky. I think you have to be both. Whadda
    you think?

My aunt who lived in Evanston, IL for some decades moved back to our little village
    in Minnesota a few years back. She will be 90 next month. Her father was born
    when Lincoln was in the White House. She is the last of 6 kids. Two of her siblings
    died last year. I don't know where I'll find an appropriate b-day card. The Smithsonian,

Gordon and I had a quiet Thanksgiving. The guest of honor was a chicken rather than
    a turkey. Zippy and I had a midnight snack a few hours ago. My Sungold cherry
    tomato plant was a big producer. Picked the last tomato a day or two ago.

3. Callum

Callum New Member

I have a very sweet Carol Burnett story - I'll share it some time with you!

Sometimes luck has nothing to do with it... One of my best friend's from grad school is Ty Burrell, who just one the Emmy for "Modern Family". He's very talented, and also one of the nicest, easiest-going people you'll ever want to meet (much like Carol Burnett). But he tooled around New York and L.A. for a dozen years - working, but nothing really satisfying. And then he gained the respect of the creative/writing team that did "Out of Practice", "Back to You" and then "Modern Family", and because they liked him so much, they wrote parts specifically for him in mind...

As for myself, I had a really twelve months, working all the time, but then my mom went into her final decline, and I stopped auditioning so I could fly out and be with her (I was with her when she died the end of July) and then I couldn't audition because we were going on a Mediterranean Cruise for my partner's 50th. Now, it's like every one's forgotten me, and I haven't had an audition in 8 months. So I've just been eating. And eating. And eating...

Who is Zippy? I imagine a pet, but what kind?

Say "hi" to Gordon for me.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm in a flare so won't be posting much today but wanted to welcome you back. Don't be a stranger.

Love, Mikie
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm so sorry you're have a d#@! flare. treat yourself, kindly, at get better soon!

(((((gentle hugs))))))

6. rockgor

Zippy is our mixed terrier. Lives up to his name despite the fact that he is now a senior citizen. We are roughly the same age once you make the doggy adjustment.

I read about your friend on Wikipedia. Saw him on Youtube. If our age is studied by
    historians thousands of years from now, they can learn a lot by viewing Youtube. Have
    you maintained your ties with Ty?

What were you doing on the cruise ship? Entertaining? Some years ago I went to
    a music school production of Traviata. The tenor was a friend of a friend. Shortly
    thereafter he became an entertainer on a cruise ship. Wonder if he's still doing that.
    He must be about 40 by now.

Forty is the new 60, you know. Or is it the other way round. I get so confusiated
    with my Eisenhower's disease.

Sorry to hear about your mother. Good that you could be there. How was the Mediterranean cruise? You ever see that documentary about great white sharks in
    the Mediterranean? They're also off the coast of CA and in San Francisco bay.

Am reading a big, fat book of Anecdotes. Here's one about Noel Coward I never heard
    before: During a rather stormy rehearsal of Blithe Spirit, Claudette Colbert screamed
    at Coward, "If you're not very careful, I may throw something at you." Replied
    Coward, "You might start with my cues."

May be apocryphal, of course.

I used to have a recording of that production on an old LP record. It was very good.
    Can't remember who else was in it. OK, looked it up. Lauren Becall and Mildred
    Natwick. It was a TV show in the 50s. I was in High School.

Gordon went off to see the doctor. His car is ailing. I am instructed to stay alert for
    an SOS phone call.

In bocca al lupo

Just remembered. You once played Dr. George Bradman, si? Wish I had seen

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2011]
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good to hear from you, I pop back in here now and then hoping to hear from some old friends. I do always wonder how you're doing.

So sorry to hear about your Mom, very difficult thing to go through but I'm so glad that you could be there for her, I wasn't able to do so 6 years ago, was too sick to travel.

I've finally moved back to the states after 16 years living overseas. Was lucky enough to feel well enough to do so. Was worried last year that they might have to medi-vac me out but I made it!

We bought a house so we've been busy with that. It's beautiful (living in Maryland) and the house is all ready for Christmas with the exception of the live tree which we still need to pick out.

I am thoroughly enjoying living in the states again and looking forward to my first Christmas in the new house.

(Rock, I always enjoy your stories so it's very nice to hear from you too!)

8. rockgor

Velkommen! Bet you're glad to be home. Are you fluent now in Deutsch?

My powers of recall have been diminished by this Eisenhower's disease.
    Was it you who had the zebra picture in her profile? Is DH still in the

Had some of Gordon's chicken soup for brunch. Gordon is at work. Zippy is guarding the back yard. He barks at passersby. Getting on to nap time
    for me.

I don't think too many of our old friends are still here. Hard to keep

Auf wiedersehen
  9. Callum

Callum New Member

A Maryland Christmas in a new house sounds wonderful!

I went to Europe for the first time - we took a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. Oh, how I loved it. Barcelona, Monaco (eh.), Pisa, San Gianigmio (sp?), Rome, Naples, the Amalfi Coast, Mykanos, Istanbul, Ephesus, Athens, Venice, and then two days in Florence. I loved it all, the people, the food, the people, the sites, the people...

Again, welcome back!

10. Callum

Callum New Member

Is it against the rules to post a youtube link? If not, I can post a link to the movie I did last year - it's only 14 minutes, and it's made the rounds to a few film festivals.

11. Callum

Callum New Member

... I'm the tall, bald guy, Rock.
  12. rockgor

I watched the film. It has a giant flaw.
    It's too short. Ha Ha!
    Very professional. Was this a film school project or a demo?

"You looked very natural." Remember the radio and then TV show
    "Life of Riley"? Starred William Bendix. One of the characters was
    Digger O'Dell. He always greeted people by saying in a sepulchre bass,
    "You're looking very natural."

One of my friends used to be an accountant for the movies. He made
    a short film a few years ago w/ some of his buddies from the crew.
    I think he said one of them was an Oscar winner.

Maybe sometime you could post an entire act of something.

13. Callum

Callum New Member

It was just a short film project shot here in Chicago. I was drawn to the script because, as a whole, it doesn't try to force too much. I love what it has to say about the different stages we find ourselves in as we age.
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

No Rock, it wasn't me with the zebra picture but now you have me curious...wonder who that was?? My husband has been retired from the Navy for many years now and although I studied German in high school that was too many decades ago for me to remember much but I could understand them much better than I could speak.

Callum, the film was great, what a hottie you are....sigh! I also agree with Rock, the piece was much too short so I found myself wondering about the rest of the film. Your acting was natural, and did I mention what a hottie you are?

I am so glad that you were able to travel to Europe, I remember a time when your health was making things very difficult for your career. blood sugar is slipping and now I can't remember what all I was going to say to you but I'll check back.

So good to see you pop back on here!

15. windblade

windblade Active Member

Loved the humor in the film! And was so glad when Sam turned back in the end - just those few words and the joke between them. You have such a rich voice, and such intense eyes - it was so much fun to watch all the nuances throughout.

I've always enjoyed reading your posts here about your acting, so this was a delight to watch. It works well for me as an entire piece - a whole story. My husband is a painter, so also enjoyed the 'art speak'.
  16. Callum

Callum New Member

Windblade - thank you for watching and for the kind words! I think I remembered that your husband was an artist! (Yay! It isn't all ME fog!!) How have things been with you? I hope you've been fairly flare-free!

Nancy - You made me blush! You are too, too kind! About the Europe trip - it was VERY active for a cruise, and I thought I would flare the entire time and ruin the trip for both of us. But there was an accupuncturist on the ship (something I'd never tried before), and I flared a little bit, and I sat out a couple of times (in Istanbul, after seeing the Blue Mosque, the Bazaar, The Hyppodrome, the Sultan's Palace, I said "here's the camera - I cannot walk through the Hagia Sofia!), but I could work through it. I was shocked!!! Then, when I got home, a had a two week flare - LOL - but I felt so fortunate to have been given that gift!
  17. rockgor

The zebra artist was someone with a moniker like yours. Cure4everyone
    or something. Anyway she used colored pencils. Then I think she painted
    them w/ water or something. Anyway, she had mucho talent.

I remember the Sofia Mosque from Introduction to Art 101 Callum. We
    saw slides. Since then I've seen documentaries. I think it was the biggest
    cathedral until St. Peter's in Rome.

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip. Have never been on a cruise
    and have no desire to do so. I remember about 25 years ago Gordon and
    I were playing in a bridge tournament in Stockton. We read a flyer advertising
    a bridge cruise. Ninety days at $1,000 a day.

I did go on a small cruise from Santa Barbara to one of the islands off
    the CA coast. The boat was a model of a clipper ship; formerly owned by
    Jimmy Cagney. (You Dirty Rat!) Was seasick before we got outta
    the harbor.

18. Callum

Callum New Member

I don't think I could do a small craft, either. In fact, I never thought I'd do a cruise. I thought it would be crowded, claustrophobic - I don't know how they do it, but I never felt crowded - and the service was INCREDIBLE!

A ninety day cruise? Was it around the world? Twice?