Storm coming

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by greygodess, Jul 2, 2008.

1. greygodess

greygodess New Member

It is only going on 8pm but it looks more like just before dark. We have a severe storm coming with no basement. I used to be terrified of storms but now only very scared if they are severe.

We don't have a basement so dh and I will grab the grankids and head under the stairs if need be. The dog is already hiding under the computer desk.

I'm sure we'll be fine. Where is Auntie Em when you need her? Godbless
  2. poets

poets Member

Hi greygodess,

I sure hope you're alright. Storms can be scary. I don't have a basement either. My cats seem to pick up on storms too. They get really hyper and jumpy. I'm praying you and your family are safe. Post and let us know.......

3. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

After the Xenia, Ohio tornado of 1973, which most experts agree was a F-6 (which doesn't really exist, they think it was that big), storms haven't been my favorite thing either. Of course, I live near the coast of hurricaine central although I've only ridden out tropical storms and cat 1&2 hurricaines. We made the decision NOT to evacuate from Rita even though the path of the storm had hurricaine force winds as far inland as I was.

If you remember Rita, people were caught in traffic for up to 24 hours and ran out of gas. I think we have a slightly better emergency plan set up.

It will be ok GreyGoddess, just remember the angels are bowling in heaven!

4. greygodess

greygodess New Member

The storm broke up before it got to us. Just got some rain, lightening, and thunder. No wind. In fact it is still lightening and thundering as I write. And the dog is still under the desk. Thanks for all the replies. Godbless
  5. Didoe

Didoe New Member

wasn't that Rip Van Winkle who went bowling in Heaven as he slept through history? If one, just one of colleagues IN A FREAKIN UNIVERSITY, had a pinkie filled with the knowledge of members here all the cwap would be tolerable...but they dont and it isnt.
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

At Ohio Police Academy I went through some weather classes.

During one class we heard a tape that was recorded during that time. A young boy was working on a weather badge for Boy Scouts. He started a tape recorder to tape the weather report.
    Warnings came over their TV on taking cover, tornado warning. Then sirens began blaring. Police cars were speeding through neighborhoods with their sirens blasting.

The father shouted for everyone to get into the bathroom. His mother in law began scolding him for "Scaring the kids."
    He forced her in there also and made them all get into the bathtub, he grabbed twin mattresses and threw them on top of everyone,

You could hear the tornado approaching. Sounds like train ready to plow into the house.

Their house was destroyed, but no one was even hurt.

Later in the ruble, the tape player was found and all had been recorded.

We had tornados a few yrs. back and I am the ONLY one I know that had taken cover, went to the basement and stayed until my husband called to me and said all was clear! He was in the garage when he first saw it and then another one and yelled for me "Basement." He stayed and watched and so did our neighbors and relatives around town. Neighbors said they saw two go up high over our house. DH said he had a hard time staying put as it was sucking him out. It did no damage to our neighborhood, but did in some parts of our town and some very close to us. DH saw two a street over.

I am still disappointed that I did not see it. But I still head for cover when we get warnings. I still bawl him out also. Blessings....Susan
  7. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

After I saw the deathly stillness and funny green sky of the tornadoes that skipped over us and hit Xenia 30+ years ago, I am the FIRST one to take cover. I have an irrational fear of them and constantly dream about tornadoes. I was a freshman in high school during that terrible outbreak that day (record breaking 300 tornadoes) and I have never forgotten people. People who rebuilt after that tornado ALL had very strong storm cellars built.

I am SO glad you are ok. We really need the rain in Houston, send it our way!
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Greygoddess - I am so glad your storm is over and it wasn't that bad for you. Yes, it is better to be safe than sorry, as they say.

Texasgal - Yes I am in the Hurricane Alley too, sort of . We are up north but when we heard Rita (or Katrina) (I think that ws the last BAD one) we were in Europe watching on CNN or CNBC Europe watching the HUGE PARKING LOT ON i-45 of people trying to evacuate Houston, Galveston and beyond. They had said that it was supposed to head towards us where we live in the Conroe area but luckily (for us) it turned and went east. Of course, then it went by way of Beaumont and Louisiana and caused alot of havoc there.

I do remember a couple of prety bad hurricanes when we lived in Houtson when we lived there but now cannot remember the names. It was in the 70's and 80-'s. Luckily however we did not have major flooding in our area to much just in some low areas, with lots of limbs, trees, power lines down and out, and such. It is all very scary !!

Never had to worry about tornados or hurricanes on Long Island where we had been raised, just snowstorms and stuff like that.

Wish that none of you would have to worry about any really bad tornadoes, etc. but I guess none of us has a choice. Good idea maybe to cleanout the yucky tornado cellars (for those who have them) and maybe have some supplies there for just in case.

God bless you all,

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]