Stormy ... Need Your Expertise ....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elsa, Mar 13, 2006.

1. elsa

elsa New Member

I am becoming more of a "watch what you eat" person everyday. It really hit home when I started trying to find something ... anything convenient to eat that did not have calcium or iron in it.

You'd think it was easy .... not so. Every package I pick up has calcium added ... either because we are too stupid to take enough calcium on our own and "they" need to add it for us ... or it's being added as some kind of preservative.

Same problem with iron ... I lazily went for some breadsticks (not the real ones but cracker like) because I was starving ... checked the back ... no calcium ... great! ... oops ... iron 6% ?!?!? In crackers that mimic breadsticks?! IRON + CRACKERS ?!?! I went 'round the bend temporarily on that one.

Anyway .... Because of my T3 thyroid, I cannot have calcium or iron two hours before or after injestion. Biggest problem is that I take T3 two times day. That leaves alot of hours with zero food! I was wondering it you had any suggestions on what I can look into that I can eat without destroying my treatment.

Also, I have the usual springtime ... swollen glands left side, mucous turning lose and ear ache .... Since I am slowly but steadily becoming a fan a "food makes a difference" I was wondering if there is a certain "group" I should focus on while recovering?

The worse (which wasn't so bad ... kept working and livin' life) is over and I am now dealing with the sneezing, ear popping, head-draining groudah. I would love to know if there are any food groups that I should focus on to replace what I used up during the initial fighting infection stage.

All I can think about right now is my Granny's chicken soup .... homemade of course ... with NO extra calcium or iron added ... geesh!

I hope you are doing well. I appreciate anything you can share with me on this. I saw where you had a couple of backward steps recently, but are on the mend and heading back to strong remission. That's great! Maybe just a hiccup and not a reversal of health. I'll keep positive thoughts for you on continuing great health.

I am thrilled that my immune system did it's job without going overboard or not working well enough and sending me to bed with fever, etc..

I am so appreciative on how it worked that I would like to "pay it back" with some decent nutrition .....

You'll love this ... In my frustration to find something ... anything I could eat ... I hit some granola with cranberry from a local healthfood store ... just ate it right out of my self-serve plastic baggie ... had the energy of ten people the next couple of days. Imagine that .. just granola without all the preservatives added ... hummm , helpful stuff.

I'm still going to hit the processed what have you's ... but I now know there are other things out there that "feel" better.

Thanks again .............

Take care,

Elsa

[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2006]
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

I am butting in a bit. I take T3 cream in the a.m. Is it really that sensitive? I try not to take supplements within 2 hours, but I haven't worried about iron or calcium in my diet. It is that sensitive? I guess it would be really hard, esp with hypoglycemia, to avoid these minerals. thanks. jen102
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Thank you thank you ..... I went ahead and fixed my grandmother's chicken soup recipe .... Working wonders.

I am doing better. Never really did feel "sick" ... just had all the gross stuff move out ... a herx without taking anything to promote it ... Which is telling me that my immune system is firing on all cylinders!!

Some of what you mentioned I do already .... basically because I don't have time to do otherwise ...

I snacked on rather large amounts of almonds earlier also from my health food/ organic grocery. I often eat dried fruit ... cranberries ... yum! Just finished a bag last night.

The granola is out of this world. They have bins upon bins all stacked up just waiting for me to scoop some up. Mouth is watering while I write this ... I am out of most of my "stuff". The energy is just the added bonus (if you can believe that one,lol) as I love the stuff that much.

Problem is so many of the things I like to eat have calcium and iron in them. I still eat the grocery store processed foods ... but more and more I am frustrated with the calcium that is put in almost everything under the sun.

I get a bit attitudy over it .... I just don't think they needed to add that last bit of calcium whatever "for freshness".

So, that brings me to the 10 million dollar question .... What does not have calcium or iron or both in it that I can snack on will working around my T3 schedule? I have had great results with T3 taking it 2xd ... Just gotta fix this food thing.

Jen .... I understood it to be best to avoid calcium and iron two hours before and two hours after taking T3. That's alot of hours if you take it like me (twice a day) .... hummmm, 8 hours of no chocholate ....

I haven't been told it concerns vitamins and supplements only ... Just what I listed above. In my head calcium and iron are calcium and iron ... no matter the source .. so I just stay away from them.

My T3 therapy has worked so unbelievably well for me that it isn't worth risking it's effectivness by "cheating".

I hope that helps some ... And I hope you are doing well. Stormy ... NO FRUIT?!?! Husband has you a bit on that one. When is your week up anyway?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post ... If you come across things sans the above minerals please let me know. I may start a collection,lol.

Right off the top of my head I think broccoli has iron in it ... sigh .... My granola probably has calcium ... and I eat it dry. Dang!

I'll talk to you two ladies soon .... "Thanks again" and "hope it helps" respectively,lol.

Elsa

4. elsa

elsa New Member

Stormy,

That is exactly what I was looking for .... a list of "natural ingredients". I feel better with your thoughts that the added calcium and iron are ones to really worry over and not so much what is in raw foods to begin with.

Have you ever thought of putting together a book of your food source for wellness plans? You write very well, have done enormous amounts of research, can approach from an interesting point of view and could benefit the CFS/FMS community.

You might consider approaching cfs / fms associations for encouragement, support for the project.

Just a thought ... you probably don't have too much extra time for this, but it would be another excellent resource for many. I'd certainly buy it ... Can't have too many good resources for overall health.

Thanks again ..... I'll let you know if I come up with THE snack of all time ...

Take care,

Elsa
    Hope you husband's feeling better soon ....
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Sorry to butt in here, but when I see two of my favorite people talking, I just have to see what's being said! And I was right - it is useful info! Thanks!

Anyway, I was wondering about the T3 hormone and not taking calcium or iron for two hours before and after. My bottle says avoid calcium and iron for two hours BEFORE taking. Nothing about after.

I see your point about avoiding those things to get best absorption, but I wonder if it isn't necessary to be that precise. Maybe you could avoid them for 2 hours before and 1 hour after?

Have you called the compounding pharmacy that makes the T3? I called them one time (ITC makes my T3) and found them to be extremely helpful.

I actually asked about the calcium and iron deal, and I honestly can't remember what they said! Helpful, huh! But I don't recall anything about 2 hours after. I know that would have stuck with me.

Point being, give them a call. It may be that the calcium and iron in foods is not significant enough to worry about. You might be putting yourself through more brain damage than you need to!

Katy
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

More brain damage then I need to ... ha ha ... yes indeed! I need to save all I can 'cause I am beginning to think I'm drain bramaged enough,lol!

I use ITC for my thyroid treatment too although I haven't have near the success in speaking with them as you have. I have gotten pretty close to their voice mail though.

I checked my bottle ... It is a bit vague ... avoid calcium or iron within two hours ... That's it ... Always in the past with other rx'es or supplements it was i hour after injestion if it needed to breakdown on it's own. I hope this is the case with T3 ...

My biggest problem is that two hours before my second dose ... The early AM is no problem. Just wake up and take it before anything else.

The best time it seems for the rest of my schedule to take the afternoon dose is between 1:45 and 3pm ... soooo, that is a long time to go without my favorite stuff. You should see me when it hits about 5pm ... good lord but you best not come between me and my food!

I'll work something out ... I've not lost too much weight per say ... I have gotten more muscle (bless you testosterone) and things have switched back to where they should be .. It's still looking like I have lost too much. I have never been overly in need of weight loss so this is a bit bothersome.

Not the worst problem I could have to deal with but I do need the calories to support the activities I regularly do ... Don't want one system stealing from another again .... There I go again damaging my brain geesh! It would be lovely if you could recall what ITC said ... I would so appreciate it!

Hope you are doing well ... That was really a wonderful complement you gave me. It means alot to me and you are very kind to say so ....

Thank you,

Elsa
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I talked to ITC Pharmacy today. I wanted to talk to them about my dose anyway (debating on whether to go up or not).

So I asked about the Ca & Fe. He said to not take anything with calcium or iron 1 hour before and 1 hour after. That includes food items.

He said the Ca & Fe will bind to the hormone and you won't get good absorption.

When taking it in the morning, you should just take it when you first get up. That way your stomach is empty. If taken on a completely empty stomach, he said you could get away with eating 30-45 minutes after taking it.

I asked about taking an afternoon dose. He said if you were taking it at 2pm, to just not eat anything with Ca or Fe from 1pm to 3pm. So, 1 hour before and 1 hour after taking it.

So that two hour window without food is much better than the four hour window you were dealing with! Yippee!

Hope this helps!

Katy
  8. elsa

elsa New Member

God love ya ... Those total of 8 hours was looking pretty bad .... Now just four hours! I'll give it a try. I wonder why they have 2 hours listed on the bottle though. Do you suppose it is for a cushion of sorts?

The morning dose is an easy one to deal with. My husband makes sure I'm up no later then 6:30 (in case I snooze thru the alarm blarring in my head) in order to take T3 #1. I have it on my bedside table with H2O ... and I follow with cortisol @ 20 minutes later.

This way I can kinda snooze through the no coffee for thirty minutes rule plus gives me sometime to get it all together.

I could easily eat (time wise) around 8:30 ... problem is I have never in my life been able to choke down anything to eat that early in the AM. I just have always had to be awake and moving for several hours before the idea of food holds any appeal. I know ... I am my own pain in the _____ what-have-you ...

I can easily stick to the two hour before and after rule after the Am dose ... but for afternoon I am going to try the 1 hour before / after thing.

I cannot tell you how much it means to me that you thought to ask ITC about my T3 problem while you were working on you own medication plans. We have never had the opportunity to meet and what you did was something out of the ordinary ... Thank you.

I hope you are soon finding your mainteneance dose of thyroid treatment. It has helped me immensely .... I just want everyone to find the success with it that I have.

It's funny how something so small can make such a big difference and how many MD's out there will not touch it treatment wise unless your blood tests say you are near to dying ....

I really missed the days (not that long ago) where docs got to do their own thinking. At least it seems the tide is turning back towards clinical treatment again ... thank goodness.

Sorry to have rambled here ... Thank you again and I hope you are doing well ......

Elsa
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

It feels good to be able to help. I have gotten so much help from you and Stormy and Mikie and so many others on this board. It really helps to have many brains working on similar problems.

I agree that the T3 and the hydrocortisone are two of the things that are making me feel better. Such a small thing and I am feeling so much better. My PCP looked baffled when I told her I was taking those things. Many MD's just aren't willing to see new avenues for treatment unless it has passed FDA approval and become completely mainstream. Thank goodness there are some who WILL listen with open minds.

That's why it's so good that we are all our own advocates. No one knows ourselves like we do. So we need to listen to those inner voices and find our own paths. This board has been a lifesaver for me in finding alternatives and finding ways to make myself better.

Thank you for calling me "Miss Katy" and giving me a smile and a warm feeling in my heart. My mother was raised in Mississippi, and we would drive down there from Wisconsin a couple of times a year when I was growing up to visit my grandparents. My aunts and uncles would call me "Miss Katy". I always loved it. It's such a sweet southern tradition. Thanks for the memory!

Miss Katy

10. elsa

elsa New Member

I can throw a rock to Mississippi .... That close and that "southern". How fun to stir up good memories.

I thrilled you are feeling better ....

E.