Stormysky, about whey protein???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Sep 5, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I finally found a reasonably priced source of whey protein, and have started using it in my morning blender mix. I think it gives me more energy for the morning, and I am not always hungry by 10:00 a.m., as I usually am. (Breakfast is about 6:00 because I usually leave the house by about 6:30. yuck.)

Ok, but now I am confused, as I have read about whey from goat's milk, that it is nutritionally superior to cow's milk whey. Also much more expensive...

Just when I think I've got something figured out....

So should we be using goat's milk whey? Any thoughts on this?

thanks,
    Beth.
  2. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

whey is from milk?

i'm all confused now.
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

whey is the liquid that is left after cheese and other things are made from milk. that's what Little Miss Muffet was eating while she sat on her tuffett. *g*

hugs,
    beth.
  4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Goat's whey is good if you have kicking out diary products from your diet as I have :) Any diary products give me problems, so I don't use them but I can drink goats milk and use goat whey like you would use to other diary whey.
    Going to go rebound nonw (jumping on my mini tramp) See ya later.
    Dee50
  5. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I swear - I was thinking of ittle miss muffet but I never knew what she was eating. On that note - what's a tuffet?

I've been doing the whey protien shakes. Is there a better way to get whey (wow) in your diet or with less calories.

If I have a protien shake and a handfl of vits and supps - then it's kinda like an ensure shake or am I wrong?

michele
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Because of stomach surgery I had, I have to get in about 120 grams of whey protein a day. The whey protein is usually predigested and easily absorbable.

I make mine with water, ice and sometimes some sugar free syrup. I do 4-5 shakes of 30 grams per shake. It is believed that we don't absorb more than that at a time.

I don't find them to be all all that expensive, and the ones I use are low or no carbohydrate, no sugar (some have aspartame).

You need to really be careful because some can be super weight gainers and are designed especially for body builders for that reason.

Usually one of my shakes has about 120 calories, 30 grams protein, no sugar, no carbs.

Tigger
  7. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Do you have any advice on which types/brands of whey protein are of the non-fattening variety, or where one can find a cheap source?
    Thanks
    Delia
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I found a product called "Health-A-Whey, extra grade sweet whey powder", made by Bernard Jensen's company, at my favorite healthy foods store. It was just under $5.00 (I think) for one pound. No additives or sweeteners or flavors.

In a blender, I usually mix one tablespoon of the whey powder (working up to 2) with about 8 ounces of rice dream, two tablespoons of ground flax seed (I'm beginning to add ground hemp seeds to the flax), about half a cup of organically grown uncooked rolled oats, a heaping half cup of frozen blueberries, and a half a scoop of Complete powder mix from JuicePlus.

The oats make it a little chewy, which I like, and they are such good food for the heart and arteries.

I am ok with dairy, except for liquid milk which I don't like and which my GI tract doesn't like, either.

This mixture is 2 or 3 Weight Watchers points. I figured that out a long time ago when I tried their program (again) with my darling spouse. I don't know the calorie count, though.

Happy blending!
    Beth.
  9. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I use a brand called Champion. It is not cheap, but it's a well thought of whey protein.

I'm trying to get in 5 shakes a day with 30gr in each shake. I only make mine with water and ice, but that is because I had gatric by-pass.

I'm sorry I wasn't here for you.
    Hugs,
    Tigger