Stormyskye and others, Olive Leaf & ABX

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeful4, Dec 28, 2005.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Stormy,
    I think in a past post of yours on olive leaf you mentioned that olive leaf extract might inactivate anti-biotics, and therefore they should not be taken together. Does that ring a bell?

Do you know the source of that information and/or do you have anything further on this possibility?

Currently I'm supposed to be taking both (I use NK Stim with a good deal of olive leaf in it), so that would be a lot of time and money wasted if true.

Thanks so much.
    Take care,
    Hopeful4
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

An extract from info on OLE at the Natural Health Consult website

**Olive Leaf Extract may inactivate antibiotics and should not be taken with them.

The amino acids glycine, lysine, histadine, and cysteine (including n-acetyl-l-cysteine) may interfere with the action of one of the components of Olive Leaf Extract. However, there are at least six active substances in the extract and it may not have a significant clinical effect. These six substances work together to prevent resistance by pathogenic organisms.

Although Olive Leaf Extract will not harm normal gastrointestinal flora, it will attack certain soil based organisms as found in Nature's Biotic or Primal Defense, especially Bacillus subtilis.

People taking warfarin (Coumadin™) should exercise caution. Olive Leaf Extract has a relaxing effect on blood vessels and capillaries and may increase bleeding tendency.**
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Thank you Tansy! I'm never sure what to do with this kind of information, as it says it may not have a clinical effect.

Then about the "People taking warfarin (Coumadin™) should exercise caution. Olive Leaf Extract has a relaxing effect on blood vessels and capillaries and may increase bleeding tendency." I'm taking Boluoke (Lumbrokinase) which is to reduce the hypercoagulation and fibrin, so this could also be an issue.

Thank you for helping me out with this info.
    Take care,
    Hopeful4
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

with using various enzymes along with herbs contraindicated when taking warfarin.

As one of the approx 20% who also have low platelets, I remain mindful of the risks in doing anything that might raise any risks from bleeding. The opposite has happened, less bruising and problems when I cut myself; the only typical sign that remains are the petechial rashes which seem to have little to do with my platelet numbers.

The last blood test I had done, when I reached about the halfway stage in treating ISAC (hypercoagulation), showed my fibrinogen numbers were lower and my platelet numbers had increased proportionately.

I have used bromelain and serrapeptase in the past; now I take natto and turmeric. I use OLE sometimes, but only for viruses that are going around; I found other antimicrobials more effective for my long term infections.

love, Tansy