Stormyskye, dncnfngrs, Jeanne or other herbal folk

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Oct 16, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

My husband has been diagnosed with mononucleosis. I know this is caused by Epstein Barr Virus. He's been very tired and generally feeling worn out (welcome to my world). His aches and pains have gotten better, but the fatigue is still pretty bad.

He won't take any Rx anti-virals, plus his PCP won't prescribe them.

What would be the best herbal remedy I could give him? He's willing to take one thing, but that's it (and that's been a battle - dumb men! But, I digress...)

I got him to take Pau D'Arco for a couple of weeks, but then he said it wasn't doing anything. I told him it wouldn't be a big obvious difference.

Would grape seed extract be better? Any suggestions would be welcome!

[This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hard to get rid of mono. The only thing I can think of right off the bat is lots and lots of vitamin c. As much as tolerated---maybe 5,000 to 10,000 mg a day. (eventually you start getting diarrhea and have to stop.) EmergenC (which comes in little packets to be dissolved in water) is the form I've had the most success with.

Goldenseal is a possibility, although a lot of people recommend not taking goldenseal internally.

The usual warning about talking to the doctor or seeking information on your own applies.
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Sorry to hear hubby is sick! With mono no less! I've heard that L-lysine is an antiviral. It's part of my anti viral cocktail and I know it's used for canker sores which are caused by herpes virus.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

My doctor had me take Turmeric, the HERB not the spice, 100 mg capsules, 3 times a day. This is available in any health food store for under $10. This should suppress the herpes virus. Hope he gets feeling better SOON.
  5. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi TwinMa,

I have a great book: "Viral Immunity, A 10-Step Plan to Enhance Your Immunity Against Viral Disease Using Natural Medicines." by J.E. Williams, O.M.D.

The nutraceuticals that he recommends specifically for EBV are: Olive Leaf Extract (500-1000 mg 3-4 x/day); Monolaurin (600-1200 mg, 3 x/day).

Here's what he says about Olive Leaf Extract: "Extracts from the leaves of the common Mediterranean olive tree (olea europaea) have become the leading natural antiviral available.... It is a safe medication with no known contraindications or side effects; however, due to its potent antimicrobial activity, you may experience a Herxheimer reaction, or die-off effect. Combining olive leaf with drainage remedies, taking vitamin C to bowel tolerance, and supporting your system with other antioxidants will minimize this effect if it occurs."

I recently had a respiratory virus. My doctor prescribed olive leaf extract, oregano oil, garlic, and vitamin C. The above cleared up the problem. I had to go off the garlic early because I was really stinking (hubby couldn't sleep).

Hope this helps.
    Laurie
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this post. I was having computer problems, then when my computer got fixed, my kids had to do school reports, and work has been just crazy.... Well, you guys know how it goes sometimes!

I'm still trying to decide which herbal AV to give DH. You have given me good viewpoints. I appreciate the variety of AV's I could give him, as well as the side effects some of you have had. Those are always good to know.

So far for herbal anti-virals, you've suggested:

Grape Seed Extract
    Olive Leaf Extract
    Vitamin C
    Goldenseal
    L-Lysine
    Turmeric
    Echinacea/Goldenseal
    Elderberry
    Pau D'Arco
    Garlic
    Astragalus
    Monolaurin

Great suggestions. I have several on hand already. Now I just have to decide and see if he will take it! Thanks!
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

for when I'm awake

Jeanne